HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   GDT: OKC Barons @ Houston Aeros 11/29 6:05PM MDT (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1299269)

Bryanbryoil 11-29-2012 05:01 AM

OKC Barons @ Houston Aeros 11/29 6:05PM MDT

Game InfoGame Day: Thursday November 29th 2012
Game Time: 6:05PM MDT
Radio:
PPV AHL Neulion

Season Series
DateLocationResult
10/26OKC 6-4 Houston
11/2OKC 4-3 OKC
11/3OKC 4-3 Houston

LineupsBARONS: TBD, My Guess At This Point
Hall #22-Nugent-Hopkins #18-Eberle #7
Paajarvi #19-Lander #16-Hartikainen #10
Cornet #15-Arcobello #26-Rajala #25
Byers #34-Vande Velde #29-Hamilton #13

Marincin #28-J. Schultz #5
Fedun #27-Teubert #33
Plante #4-Henry #39

Danis #35
Roy #31

Scratches:

Healthy: C Hunter #11, D Ringwald #6, W Abney #36

Injured: D Davidson #3 (Testicular Cancer), W Green #12 (Ribs), C Martindale #17 (Knee), W Pitlick #9 (Concussion), C/W House #21 (Concussion), W Tyrvainen #14 (Broken Wrist)

Reassigned: D Zahn #2 (Stockton)

AEROS:
TBD
Roster

Who to watch?BARONS TO WATCH: Rookie defenseman Martin Marincin has 5 points in his last 3 games (1-4-5) and is poised to crack the top 20 in defense scoring. Yann Danis has really elevated his game with a 0.934 save % in the Barons current 5 game win streak. And oh yeah we have these guys named Schultz, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins, and Hall, I hear they're pretty good ;)

AEROS TO WATCH: The Aeros have been trying to hold the fort while two of their top players are out. Mikael Granlund and Jonas Brodin were both injured in their last meeting with the Barons. Granlund on a play in the corner against Colten Teubert and Brodin on a very hard check by Taylor Hall which was reviewed by the league and determined to be a non suspendable offense. In their absence another tremendous rookie Jason Zucker (7-2-9 in 9 games since the Aeros stars went down) and Justin Fontaine (5-7-12 in those same 9 games) have carried the mail for the Aeros offensively.

Barons Number of the DayThe number of the day is 6 as in the point contributions of Teemu Hartikainen and Magnus Paajarvi over the teams last 6 games. Secondary scoring had been a major concern prior to that point, however the Barons are now getting solid secondary scoring and as a result are on a 5 game win streak.

Quotable"We have been trying to do the same things that the Sedin line and Getzlaf line does. We are starting to see success with it.

I've really worked on my shot. I try not waste a chance. I'm not a guy who will waste a shot from the wing."
-Jordan Eberle on his lines recent success and on his mentality when it comes to shooting the puck.

Team Comparison
 BaronsAeros
Games1818
Points2421
Wins119
GF6261
GA5355
Power Play %23.122.7
Penalty Kill %77.681.8

Team Leaders
BaronsAeros
GOALS: Eberle (11)Zucker (9)
ASSISTS:Schultz (18)Fontaine and Connelly (10)
+/-: Schultz (+14)McIntyre (+8)

Today's Videos

Nail and Nuge 11-29-2012 06:48 AM

This team is exceptionally exciting right now. I have to eat some crow here after my comments about Nelson and his ability to coach this much talent.

My only concern is injury.

A successful game is when the fab four entertain but most importantly avoid injury.

CornKicker 11-29-2012 09:37 AM

i dont think it is a coincidence that the team started winning when hall showed up, seems to be the oilers mo as well. but people will still tell you he is the least valuable of the big 4

Hoogaar23 11-29-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CornKicker (Post 56112017)
i dont think it is a coincidence that the team started winning when hall showed up, seems to be the oilers mo as well. but people will still tell you he is the least valuable of the big 4

They need to slap the C on his chest the minute the lockout ends. I know some people say it doesn't matter, it's just a letter, and whatever else - but symbolically I think it would be huge. He may not have the best hands or the best shot or whatever else - but IMO there is no denying he is the most driven guy on this team and the most likely to lead by example. It would be a refreshing change to not have a plugger as our captain.

joestevens29 11-29-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

They actually lost the first 3 games. I think it has more to do with everyone getting on the same page. I don't think Hall coming there all of a sudden gave the team anymore of a boost then when RNH and Eberle came.

Petro Points 11-29-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

It may not be a coincidence but adding a proven NHL 25goal scorer to the team would boost any club. We couldve added Ryan Smyth instead and it could have been the same. Nuge, Ebs and Schultz were getting the points even before Hall joined in the fun.
Not to sell Hall short but IMO having RNH or Schultz in the lineup makes a bigger difference to the team.

I am the Liquor 11-29-2012 10:34 AM

Will the baby Wild be out for retribution tonight?

OneMoreAstronaut 11-29-2012 10:40 AM

Aeros should be out for blood tonight after the injuries to two of their top players in the last matchup. For me, I'm hoping for a dominant but cautious game from the bug guns, with secondary scoring stepping up to fill in the gap tonight.

Great One 11-29-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 (Post 56112303)
They need to slap the C on his chest the minute the lockout ends. I know some people say it doesn't matter, it's just a letter, and whatever else - but symbolically I think it would be huge. He may not have the best hands or the best shot or whatever else - but IMO there is no denying he is the most driven guy on this team and the most likely to lead by example. It would be a refreshing change to not have a plugger as our captain.

I agree 100%. I have nothing against having experienced players as captains but if a younger guy, like Hall, can come in and bring that certain energy to the club with his all or nothing playing style, not to mention his outspoken personality, then I'm all for giving him the C. Days of automatically giving the grizzled vets the C are over. Just look at Colorado for example.

Like you mentioned in your post, the kid just got that drive in him that can motivate other players. It's much easier to be motivated by a guy like Hall who can walk the walk as well as talk the talk rather than a guy like Horcoff who is almost contradicting himself by telling other players what needs to be done then doing the complete opposite. I also believe Hall has a lot more leadership qualities than we've seen so far. He hasn't even worn the A yet so you just know that he holds back most of the time rather than speaking over guys like Horcoff, Smyth and Whitney. I just think he could be a great leader in the dressing room as well as on the ice if we just let him run with it.

Petro Points 11-29-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am the Liquor (Post 56112905)
Will the baby Wild be out for retribution tonight?

Im sure we played a game against Aeros already after we injured the big 2. (The very next day?>
This part of the OP might be incorrect.

Aerchon 11-29-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petro Points (Post 56112849)
It may not be a coincidence but adding a proven NHL 25goal scorer to the team would boost any club. We couldve added Ryan Smyth instead and it could have been the same. Nuge, Ebs and Schultz were getting the points even before Hall joined in the fun.
Not to sell Hall short but IMO having RNH or Schultz in the lineup makes a bigger difference to the team.

I am a huge Nuge fan. I watched him here in red deer. He is an absolute beast of a playmaker, good shot, a genius with the puck. Solid 2 way.

Shultz is an extra forward of exceptional caliber while maintaining a solid defensive awareness. True top pairing potential.

Eberle has the best hands of all these players and can stick handle in a phone booth then roof daddy it.

But if you have not noticed how the opposing teams react when Hall steps on the ice you need to pay a lot closer attention. He does EVERYTHING at top speed. He wrecks opposing defensive strategies. He is a puck possesion demon. The ice titls when Hall steps onto it.

Hall isn't the most skilled but he is very skilled and puts it together with ammazing talent in a fearless manner which impacts the game far more than even Nuge, Shultz or Eberle can.

Ryan smyth used to have the same amount of heart as Hall does now but no longer. Ryan smyth has a pathetic shot, brutal skating, and average passing skills.

Saying Smyth has the same impact as Hall is... Just wrong.

Turrican* 11-29-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerchon (Post 56113927)
Ryan smyth used to have the same amount of heart as Hall does now but no longer. Ryan smyth has a pathetic shot, brutal skating, and average passing skills.

I hope you don't mean that a young Ryan Smyth had skating/shot/passing either haha

ToeDrag83 11-29-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

I am a huge Nuge fan. I watched him here in red deer. He is an absolute beast of a playmaker, good shot, a genius with the puck. Solid 2 way.

Shultz is an extra forward of exceptional caliber while maintaining a solid defensive awareness. True top pairing potential.

Eberle has the best hands of all these players and can stick handle in a phone booth then roof daddy it.

But if you have not noticed how the opposing teams react when Hall steps on the ice you need to pay a lot closer attention. He does EVERYTHING at top speed. He wrecks opposing defensive strategies. He is a puck possesion demon. The ice titls when Hall steps onto it.

Hall isn't the most skilled but he is very skilled and puts it together with ammazing talent in a fearless manner which impacts the game far more than even Nuge, Shultz or Eberle can.

The bolded has pretty much been the case his whole career. His heart is what made those attributes overlookable, that and his tenacity in front of the net. I don't think Smyth has any less heart, it's simply evident that age is catching up to him. He'll pull out the extra heart if the team can make the playoffs, guaranteed. Faults of his during the regualr season I think we can honestly attribute to major fatigue primarily though. He still bleeds copper and blue.

In regards to everything you said about Hall, couldn't agree more. Worded beautifully.

Turrican* 11-29-2012 11:57 AM

Oh ya

LET'S GO OILERS, LET'S GO!

GMofOilers 11-29-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nail and Nuge (Post 56110637)
This team is exceptionally exciting right now. I have to eat some crow here after my comments about Nelson and his ability to coach this much talent.

My only concern is injury.

A successful game is when the fab four entertain but most importantly avoid injury.

I ate crow the other night about the same thing ;)

This team is rolling, and not much is going to stop that.

YoungGuns 11-29-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Finally someone gets it.... why didnt they take Nuge or Eberle to talk to Shultz ??

kdiddy 11-29-2012 12:30 PM

I was wondering if anyone remembers if the feed from the aeros is pretty good? I'm thinking about purchasing my first ahl ppv game today. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!:)

GMofOilers 11-29-2012 12:30 PM

Great interview with Gregor and Eberle yesterday, dam I got a man crush on him.

CornKicker 11-29-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joestevens29 (Post 56112763)
They actually lost the first 3 games. I think it has more to do with everyone getting on the same page. I don't think Hall coming there all of a sudden gave the team anymore of a boost then when RNH and Eberle came.

i'd like to think that he would get a free pass the first 3-5 games seeing as he hasnt played a real game since last march and everyone else has been playing since oct. if you dont think Hall makes a bigger impact in the room/ice than Eberle and RNH then we definetly disagree.

Petro Points 11-29-2012 01:02 PM

Looks like Granlund is set to return shortly... might even be suiting up tonight.

Bryanbryoil 11-29-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joestevens29 (Post 56112763)

I agree, IMO they got tired of losing and started going to work. It doesn't hurt that the line combo's have been pretty consistent either, the chemistry on the bottom 3 lines was virtually non existent. That said of course adding Hall helped, just that IMO people aren't giving enough credit to the other players and the coaching staff.

Bryanbryoil 11-29-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petro Points (Post 56116107)
Looks like Granlund is set to return shortly... might even be suiting up tonight.

That'd be great, I'd love to see him in the lineup tonight so that we can see his talent and give RNH a very worth opponent down the middle.

backhandsauce 11-29-2012 01:07 PM

Abney, Byers and Teubert should be ready to go tonight...

kashirat 11-29-2012 01:12 PM

Anyone know if the game is televised in any bars in Edmonton?

joestevens29 11-29-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil (Post 56116173)
I agree, IMO they got tired of losing and started going to work. It doesn't hurt that the line combo's have been pretty consistent either, the chemistry on the bottom 3 lines was virtually non existent. That said of course adding Hall helped, just that IMO people aren't giving enough credit to the other players and the coaching staff.

Look how long it takes NHL teams to gel at times, not surprising that the team start a bit slow out of the gate.