HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New Jersey Devils (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   OT: 2012-13 NBA Season Thread: A depressing alternative to the NHL Lockout (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1299369)

apice3* 11-29-2012 01:33 PM

2012-13 NBA Season Thread: A depressing alternative to the NHL Lockout

Nets and Knicks are legit this year but both have some flaws.

Nets don't shoot the 3 well but have displayed great chemistry, crash the boards, and have one of the best benches in the league.

Knicks don't rebound well, they have a short and old bench, and they have chemistry issues, but when Carmelo is on and the team is shooting the 3 well, they're nearly impossible to beat.

End the lockout already.

MartyOwns 11-29-2012 02:17 PM

i like when they bounce the ball, then they throw the ball into the circle. then, inevitably, someone gets stabbed.

Jersey Man 11-29-2012 02:34 PM

I watched Nets/Celtics last night.

Rondo is such a *****. I love KG but he flopped after Hump fouled him.

apice3* 11-29-2012 03:03 PM

Yeah at the time, I didn't understand Rondo's beef. It was a shooting foul. It wasn't even a hard shooting foul. It's a foul that occurs nearly once a minute in an NBA game.

Then I saw the replay and it just confirmed a belief I've always had that Rondo is a *******. And now you have writers and analysts calling Humphries foul malicious. Am I missing something?

Also, Rondo's streak became a lot less impressive to me after watching him in the first half. It's not hard to rack up 10 assists a game when you pass up wide open layups every chance you get. Assists are supposed to be selfless, but when you're playing just to get assists, it's pretty selfish.

Bleedred 11-29-2012 03:03 PM

Can't get into it man. I did see there was some kind of brawl though. I tried to watch the NBA during the 04/05 lockout. Didn't last a month. Though I did get to catch the game with the Ron Artest brawl. That was pretty awesome. Didn't see anything like that again after a few weeks, so I called it quits haha.

Jiri Bicek 11-29-2012 03:17 PM

<3 Jerry Stackhouse <3

Jersey Man 11-29-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apice3 (Post 56120741)
Yeah at the time, I didn't understand Rondo's beef. It was a shooting foul. It wasn't even a hard shooting foul. It's a foul that occurs nearly once a minute in an NBA game.

Then I saw the replay and it just confirmed a belief I've always had that Rondo is a *******. And now you have writers and analysts calling Humphries foul malicious. Am I missing something?

Also, Rondo's streak became a lot less impressive to me after watching him in the first half. It's not hard to rack up 10 assists a game when you pass up wide open layups every chance you get. Assists are supposed to be selfless, but when you're playing just to get assists, it's pretty selfish.

There are people on this planet actually saying Hump's foul was malicious? :help:

apice3* 11-29-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiri Bicek (Post 56121141)
<3 Jerry Stackhouse <3

He owns.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jersey Man (Post 56122859)
There are people on this planet actually saying Hump's foul was malicious? :help:

Yeah, go to the Bruins board. And from Rondo himself:

Quote:

Rondo called the foul by Humphries "malicious," and explained why he reacted the way he did. "Well, I thought the play on Kevin was a malicious play, you know?" Rondo said. "I got hurt last year on a similar play like that -- a guy going up in the air, defenseless, on his way down."
Also, Rondo just got suspended 2 games. Pretty sure this is Rondo's 3rd suspension in 2 seasons. But Humphries is the malicious one. :rolleyes:

Jersey Man 11-29-2012 04:20 PM

Jerry Stackhouse was on fire from the corner last night.

And I mean I agree with Rondo if that was what actually what happened...KG clearly flopped/acted to get the call even though he already got it. Did you see pics of Hump after the game? He had scratches all over.

apice3* 11-29-2012 04:26 PM

Yeah if there's a hard foul you back your teammate up. But it was a ticky tack foul. Garnett and Wallace each got a technical - deserved. Rondo got a double technical - deserved. Humphires got a technical (undeserved for the foul on KG) and a second technical (deserved) for wrestling Rondo. How Hump got tossed is beyond me.

Very fortunate the Nets escaped. Two starting forwards tossed, Lopez with foul trouble and injury. Blatche, Evans, and Stackhouse stepped up and won us the game.

NJDevs26 11-29-2012 07:59 PM

Now czar Stern wants to levy 'substantial sanctions' against the Spurs for sitting their top four guys tonight. Funny how there wasn't a peep when they did this periodically last year but do it in a nationally televised game against the Heat and oh boy, the NBA wants to raise hell. It's not like they're trying to tank lol, they're just trying to preserve their old team for the playoffs.

HeliDevil 11-29-2012 08:14 PM

Does Michael Jordan still play?

Zippy316 11-29-2012 08:19 PM

I can never get into it.

The only basketball I can watch is a good college basketball game where the last two minutes takes 15 minutes. March Madness included.

Zippy316 11-29-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJDevs26 (Post 56128151)
Now czar Stern wants to levy 'substantial sanctions' against the Spurs for sitting their top four guys tonight. Funny how there wasn't a peep when they did this periodically last year but do it in a nationally televised game against the Heat and oh boy, the NBA wants to raise hell. It's not like they're trying to tank lol, they're just trying to preserve their old team for the playoffs.

It's basically an F U for there horrible schedule they had as well.

NJDevs26 11-29-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zippy316 (Post 56128661)
I can never get into it.

The only basketball I can watch is a good college basketball game where the last two minutes takes 15 minutes. March Madness included.

Honestly the last basketball I ever watched for more than maybe thirty seconds at a time was the Sweet 16/Elite 8 that I went to at the Prudential Center. And those were good games, but even that couldn't get me back into basketball. Maybe a prolonged absence by the NHL and a continued resurgence by the Nets will.

StvBroDan 11-29-2012 08:38 PM

I tried to make the NBA a fill in. Can't do it

Scott04 11-29-2012 08:42 PM

Hard for me to get into it anymore. I love the sport of basketball. Despite its decline from what it used to be, I still enjoy the NBA. But I haven't had a team allegiance for like 7 years now, so not much can really pull me in anymore. I really need something in particular to grab me, or to be in the right mood to really sit down and watch. I've watched a couple of Knicks games at a bar (deliberately going to a place with a TV so we could watch while we were out), yet despite the obvious intensity in the game, I couldn't get into the Nets/Knicks game the other day. This is strange by my general NBA viewing standards of recent years. Maybe I need to make it a habit to watch some of the national TV games every week where possible. Get me back into the flow of things.

ZadorovNJD* 11-29-2012 09:14 PM

I don't really watch the NBA but is this a ****ing joke?

Quote:

San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich sent stars Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, plus key role player Danny Green, home for Thursday night's game against the Miami Heat, choosing rest instead of playing them in an early-season showdown.

NBA commissioner David Stern promised repercussions for the move, saying the Spurs will face "substantial sanctions" for their approach to the game.

"I apologize to all NBA fans," Stern said in a statement. "This was an unacceptable decision by the San Antonio Spurs and substantial sanctions will be forthcoming."
As I type this they are tied in the 4th quarter, and the Spurs will be punished for resting their players on their 4th game in 5 days? Did Vegas call up Stern and complain or something?

NJDevs26 11-29-2012 09:25 PM

I'd love to see the Spurs somehow win, that'd be such a big **** you to Stern :laugh:

Zippy316 11-29-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJDevs26 (Post 56130405)
I'd love to see the Spurs somehow win, that'd be such a big **** you to Stern :laugh:

How do they fine them if they win?

Furthermore, it is not like resting the players made the game a blowout it's still a good game. In fact, I only turned into the game because I saw the Spurs were winning and saw the BS Stern was saying about Spurs resting their own players.

apice3* 11-29-2012 10:13 PM

THEY WON!

Stern is an awful commish. So much shady business goes on in the NBA, the stanctions will stay. So glad he's retiring.

apice3* 11-29-2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott04 (Post 56129229)
Hard for me to get into it anymore. I love the sport of basketball. Despite its decline from what it used to be, I still enjoy the NBA. But I haven't had a team allegiance for like 7 years now, so not much can really pull me in anymore. I really need something in particular to grab me, or to be in the right mood to really sit down and watch. I've watched a couple of Knicks games at a bar (deliberately going to a place with a TV so we could watch while we were out), yet despite the obvious intensity in the game, I couldn't get into the Nets/Knicks game the other day. This is strange by my general NBA viewing standards of recent years. Maybe I need to make it a habit to watch some of the national TV games every week where possible. Get me back into the flow of things.

If Nets/Knicks didn't get you excited, no NBA game will. That was a rivalry rebirth in a brand new building with two quality local teams. And it was a back-and-forth game that went to OT.

Scott04 11-29-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apice3 (Post 56131781)
If Nets/Knicks didn't get you excited, no NBA game will. That was a rivalry rebirth in a brand new building with two quality local teams. And it was a back-and-forth game that went to OT.

That's not true at all. My indifference towards the outcome probably had a lot to do with it. If I had any rooting interest, it was for neither to win (which obviously isn't possible). I hate the arrogance many Knicks fans showed due to a quick start this year (and last year as well), I hate the arrogance many Nets fans have shown this early in the year because the team isn't a joke for once. I've had many arguments with fans of each team about their teams (I'm not necessarily on a negative side either in these cases) and they are so thick-headed and oblivious that I can't root for either. When they're playing each other, I just get too annoyed by the whole thing and want nothing to do with it. It's similar to the feeling I get as a Mets fan watching Yankees/Phillies, even if its competitive or a big stakes game. I'm not saying there was no "excitement" to the game. There was just no personal excitement for me. I didn't get into it. I was largely indifferent and just didn't care about that specific game while watching it. I didn't even watch the whole thing because of it. The first half didn't grab me, I moved on.

NJDevs26 11-29-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apice3 (Post 56131745)
THEY WON!

Stern is an awful commish. So much shady business goes on in the NBA, the stanctions will stay. So glad he's retiring.

What do you mean, putting the kibosh on Chris Paul to the Lakers is perfectly legitimate :sarcasm:

Devils Trap 11-29-2012 10:47 PM

Love the Nets right now

I think its a joke if the Spurs get Sanctioned. They did nothing wrong other then rest old players. Not like they are tanking or anything. They kept it competitive as well