HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Blue Jays Discussion: Offseason Madness the 8th: Josh Johnson Edition. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1299375)

Leaf Rocket 11-29-2012 01:45 PM

Offseason Madness the 8th: Josh Johnson Edition.
 
continue here.

sparxx87 11-29-2012 01:56 PM

Anyone have a link to Buehrle's conference call? All I can find is a recap.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/201...e_call_tweets/

topched 11-29-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparxx87 (Post 56118845)
Anyone have a link to Buehrle's conference call? All I can find is a recap.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/201...e_call_tweets/

Read on twitter that it was media only... Wilner suggested that it won't be posted.

I think JJ's is happening later today too. Hopefully we'll see some better recaps than that annoying twitter feed.

Federko 11-29-2012 02:04 PM

Well now that the Braves signed Upton, Michael Bourn (CF) just became available. When I think of CF's I think of Devon White. Bourn might make sense for us and I'm wondering if AA is interested in him. If we sign Bourn , we have a top notch CF who can play CF at almost an allstar caliber level -- until Gose is ready. Gose can also learn from Bourn.

Our outfield would look like: Cabrera (LF) / Bourn (CF) / Bautista (RF). To me, that's an all star outfield. We can then take the underachievers who are still worth something (Rasmus for example) and turn them into some type of pitching through trades....

Just a thought. I'm wondering what others think...
http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/28535/michael-bourn

Faidh ar Rud Eigin 11-29-2012 02:10 PM

They talked about the details in Tim & Sid this afternoon for Buerhles. Sum it up in one sentence is he's happy to be in Toronto and he's still looking for a work around on his pitbull problem.

Budsfan 11-29-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparxx87 (Post 56118845)
Anyone have a link to Buehrle's conference call? All I can find is a recap.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/201...e_call_tweets/

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=410540

Play the "A New Challenge" video it's a voice conference

cyris 11-29-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaive (Post 56119035)
Well now that the Braves signed Upton, Michael Bourn (CF) just became available. When I think of CF's I think of Devon White. Bourn might make sense for us and I'm wondering if AA is interested in him. If we sign Bourn , we have a top notch CF who can play CF at almost an allstar caliber level -- until Gose is ready. Gose can also learn from Bourn.

Our outfield would look like: Cabrera (LF) / Bourn (CF) / Bautista (RF). To me, that's an all star outfield. We can then take the underachievers who are still worth something (Rasmus for example) and turn them into some type of pitching through trades....

Just a thought. I'm wondering what others think...
http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/28535/michael-bourn

With Rasmus on the team and Gose in the system why would we give up the assets needed to get a guy like Bourn?

If we are looking to add a position player why wouldn't we do it at 1B/DH where we have a hole?

I'd like to see what Rasmus can do with a new hitting coach anyway.

topched 11-29-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaive (Post 56119035)
Well now that the Braves signed Upton, Michael Bourn (CF) just became available. When I think of CF's I think of Devon White. Bourn might make sense for us and I'm wondering if AA is interested in him. If we sign Bourn , we have a top notch CF who can play CF at almost an allstar caliber level -- until Gose is ready. Gose can also learn from Bourn.

Our outfield would look like: Cabrera (LF) / Bourn (CF) / Bautista (RF). To me, that's an all star outfield. We can then take the underachievers who are still worth something (Rasmus for example) and turn them into some type of pitching through trades....

Just a thought. I'm wondering what others think...
http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/28535/michael-bourn

AA came out and said that the Jays aren't interested in any Free Agent position players for the ML roster.

Aside from that Bourn is insanely expensive, is going to get overpaid given his skill set (even though he is very good)... We've got an identical player at the plate and on the basepaths in Reyes, and hopefully Gose develops into a similar player.

Colby is very good bang for the buck, and has the chance to breakout. He's entrenched atm at CF to start the year... unless he falls of a cliff and Gose has a monster start I don't see that changing.

Leafsdude7 11-29-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaive (Post 56119035)
Well now that the Braves signed Upton, Michael Bourn (CF) just became available. When I think of CF's I think of Devon White. Bourn might make sense for us and I'm wondering if AA is interested in him. If we sign Bourn , we have a top notch CF who can play CF at almost an allstar caliber level -- until Gose is ready. Gose can also learn from Bourn.

Our outfield would look like: Cabrera (LF) / Bourn (CF) / Bautista (RF). To me, that's an all star outfield. We can then take the underachievers who are still worth something (Rasmus for example) and turn them into some type of pitching through trades....

Just a thought. I'm wondering what others think...
http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/28535/michael-bourn

I don't see why we'd do this, unless the cost is unbelievably low. We have one of the best outfield groups already, and the depth is insane (we have 6 guys who have enough talent to at least be platoons on many teams, if not full out starters). Along with catching, it's our position of strength. We should be using our wealth of players in those positions to fill our rather shallow SP and middle infield spots.

Or am I in LF in place of Cabrera again? :laugh:

Federko 11-29-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyris (Post 56119343)
With Rasmus on the team and Gose in the system why would we give up the assets needed to get a guy like Bourn?

If we are looking to add a position player why wouldn't we do it at 1B/DH where we have a hole?

I'd like to see what Rasmus can do with a new hitting coach anyway.

I believe Rasmus is overrated. Trade him while he's worth something. As for Bourn - the Braves will be looking to unload him and his salary ... a prospect or two tops. 75.25 million for Upton over the next 7 years. That's a lot of cash. Braves usually promote from within due to budget constraints..... so getting Bourn makes sense. I rather Gose learn from Bourn than Rasmus....

Leafsdude7 11-29-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaive (Post 56119407)
I believe Rasmus is overrated. Trade him while he's worth something. As for Bourn - the Braves will be looking to unload him and his salary ... a prospect or two tops. 75.25 million for Upton over the next 7 years. That's a lot of cash. Braves usually promote from within due to budget constraints..... so getting Bourn makes sense. I rather Gose learn from Bourn than Rasmus....

Who says Gose needs to "learn from" Rasmus? I'd imagine, if he's going to learn anything that he doesn't already know at the professional level, it's going to come from Bautista, not Rasmus.

Federko 11-29-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 (Post 56119389)
I don't see why we'd do this, unless the cost is unbelievably low. We have one of the best outfield groups already, and the depth is insane (we have 6 guys who have enough talent to at least be platoons on many teams, if not full out starters). Along with catching, it's our position of strength. We should be using our wealth of players in those positions to fill our rather shallow SP and middle infield spots.

Or am I in LF in place of Cabrera again? :laugh:

We have an overabundance of outfielders. Too many. We need some other positions filled that we are not going to get through free agency. Thus, by adding Bourn it secures two things: A solid centerfielder, especially if you are looking to make the playoffs/win a championship.... instead of Davis/Rasmus... you get more consistancy with Bourn, and Gose can learn from him. You can take some outfielders and turn them into pitching, or 1b/dh through trades.

When I look at every top team in baseball, every successful team, they always have an allstar caliber outfield. Even in our most successful years you had Bell/Barfield/Mosby ... White/Carter/Green-Henderson/Winfield .... I don't believe what we have in CF is strong enough for a championship. Wild Card? ya, championship..not quite there yet.

Federko 11-29-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 (Post 56119493)
Who says Gose needs to "learn from" Rasmus? I'd imagine, if he's going to learn anything that he doesn't already know at the professional level, it's going to come from Bautista, not Rasmus.

Good point.

Leafsdude7 11-29-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaive (Post 56119537)
We have an overabundance of outfielders. Too many.

We have too many outfielders, so lets add another one?

Does. Not. Compute. :help:

Unless we can get Bourn for a pile of **** and a couple bags of baseballs, it's most likely we'll never get the equivalent back in a trade for any package of Davis/Rasmus/Bonifacio/Arencibia/d'Arnaud. I'd rather trade two of those for SP and middle infielders and go with what we have left than trade pitchers and probably one of our catchers for Bourn and then try and swing our remaining outfielders for replacements.

Leaf Rocket 11-29-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyris (Post 56119343)
With Rasmus on the team and Gose in the system why would we give up the assets needed to get a guy like Bourn?

If we are looking to add a position player why wouldn't we do it at 1B/DH where we have a hole?

I'd like to see what Rasmus can do with a new hitting coach anyway.

I know i don't watch baseball as I used to but I used to be absolutely in awe when he was with the cards. I really hope we keep this guy

topched 11-29-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaive (Post 56119537)
When I look at every top team in baseball, every successful team, they always have an allstar caliber outfield. Even in our most successful years you had Bell/Barfield/Mosby ... White/Carter/Green-Henderson/Winfield .... I don't believe what we have in CF is strong enough for a championship. Wild Card? ya, championship..not quite there yet.

'12 Giants: Pence, Pagan, Blanco

'11 Cards: Holliday, Jay, Craig (rookie)

'10 Giants: Ross, Torres, Rowand/Burrell


Not strong evidence for the case you're trying to make.

TOGuy14 11-29-2012 02:33 PM

Rasmus, while he is no all-star, gives us what this team needs right now, so I wouldn't move on from him.

The way our batting order is already stocked up at the top means we don't need another massive slugger. Rasmus plays some great defence in CF, is cost effective and has some potential to grow, so I am fine going with him.

Kessley Snipes 11-29-2012 02:41 PM

Like I posted last week. I absolutely cannot wait until all the Colby haters have to bite their tongue

Everlong 11-29-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaive (Post 56119407)
I believe Rasmus is overrated. Trade him while he's worth something. As for Bourn - the Braves will be looking to unload him and his salary ... a prospect or two tops. 75.25 million for Upton over the next 7 years. That's a lot of cash. Braves usually promote from within due to budget constraints..... so getting Bourn makes sense. I rather Gose learn from Bourn than Rasmus....

Bourn is a free agent.

calcal798 11-29-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaive (Post 56119035)
Well now that the Braves signed Upton, Michael Bourn (CF) just became available. When I think of CF's I think of Devon White. Bourn might make sense for us and I'm wondering if AA is interested in him. If we sign Bourn , we have a top notch CF who can play CF at almost an allstar caliber level -- until Gose is ready. Gose can also learn from Bourn.

Our outfield would look like: Cabrera (LF) / Bourn (CF) / Bautista (RF). To me, that's an all star outfield. We can then take the underachievers who are still worth something (Rasmus for example) and turn them into some type of pitching through trades....

Just a thought. I'm wondering what others think...
http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/28535/michael-bourn

If we were going to spend over 10 mil a year on a FA i'd want it to be a SP. Bourn is good, but not something we neccessarily need right now. Rasmus is good enough defensively to stay out there, and he has decent power. Maybe with a new hitting coach he can get his BA above .250 which would be solid. On top of that we have Gose who could probably turn into a similar player to Bourn, but a lot younger and for a lot less money.

topched 11-29-2012 02:48 PM

Jon Heyman of CBS reporting that the Braves intend to non-tender Jair Jurjjens.

Might be an interesting candidate for that 5th spot depending on the cost.

Was lights out in '11 and struggled mightily in '12. Any of you non-lazy sabrmetricians want to take a run this?

Diamond Joe Quimby 11-29-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everlong (Post 56120109)
Bourn is a free agent.

And will most likely sign for 15+ million annual average.

calcal798 11-29-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topched (Post 56120307)
Jon Heyman of CBS reporting that the Braves intend to non-tender Jair Jurjjens.

Might be an interesting candidate for that 5th spot depending on the cost.

Was lights out in '11 and struggled mightily in '12. Any of you non-lazy sabrmetricians want to take a run this?

He'd be a good pick up. Would be a a bit of a reclammation project to get him back to where he was in 2008/2009 but a good depth move for the team, and hopefully wouldn't be to costly.

sparxx87 11-29-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaive (Post 56119537)
We have an overabundance of outfielders. Too many. We need some other positions filled that we are not going to get through free agency. Thus, by adding Bourn it secures two things: A solid centerfielder, especially if you are looking to make the playoffs/win a championship.... instead of Davis/Rasmus... you get more consistancy with Bourn, and Gose can learn from him. You can take some outfielders and turn them into pitching, or 1b/dh through trades.

When I look at every top team in baseball, every successful team, they always have an allstar caliber outfield. Even in our most successful years you had Bell/Barfield/Mosby ... White/Carter/Green-Henderson/Winfield .... I don't believe what we have in CF is strong enough for a championship. Wild Card? ya, championship..not quite there yet.

Many say Bonifacio is best in CF. Davis can backup the corners while Boni can be the backup CF while platooning with Izturis at 2B.. Izturis can also give Reyes and Lawrie some days off at 3B/SS..

I wouldn't be suprised to see Reyes DH some days as well, especially against tough lefties at home - it gets Reyes off the turf and EE plays 1st because Lind can't hit lefties.

I honestly think we should focus on pitching now.. Another starter and hopefully a swingman who can pitch long relief and possibly make spot starts if need be. (Joe Blanton, Carlos Zambrano, Francisco Liriano etc. if the price makes sense)

Nasty Nazem 11-29-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topched (Post 56120307)
Jon Heyman of CBS reporting that the Braves intend to non-tender Jair Jurjjens.

Might be an interesting candidate for that 5th spot depending on the cost.

Was lights out in '11 and struggled mightily in '12. Any of you non-lazy sabrmetricians want to take a run this?

No thanks. Can't stay healthy and what used to be an above average fastball is now more like in the Cecil range topping out at 92. He would get killed in the AL East.

I would sign on a split minor league deal with incentives if he makes it to the majors and get a certain amount for IP. Nothing more than that.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.