HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Baseball (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Trade: [WSH/MIN] Denard Span for pitching prospect Alex Meyer (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1299411)

Marc the Habs Fan 11-29-2012 03:34 PM

[WSH/MIN] Denard Span for pitching prospect Alex Meyer

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi
#Twins trade OF Denard Span to #Nationals for minor league RHP Alex Meyer.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
Great get for #Twins. Meyer one of #Nationalsí top pitching prospects.

Kershaw 11-29-2012 03:50 PM

Not sure if mentioned in other thread, but Span retweeted a Twins fan saying he should be traded to another team.

Static 11-29-2012 04:01 PM

Not really a huge fan of Span.

darko 11-29-2012 05:01 PM

Like this trade for Nats as they get a legit lead off guy and can now play Werth in the middle of the lineup.

Meyer has front of the rotation upside but has ways to go.

Bourn to Philly now I guess?

Big McLargehuge 11-29-2012 05:16 PM

Meyer is a very good prospect...but as it's been said he's still a ways away and Washington can afford to ship off pitching prospects in A ball right now.

Span isn't anything real special, but he's a legitimate lead-off man, which Washington needed.

Oilbleeder 11-29-2012 05:33 PM

While I would've liked something more, I don't mind it. Span is an average to above-average CF and leadoff man. Good player for sure.

We needed a guy like Meyer. Our pitching prospects with upside is paper thin. Meyer did well in A ball, but needs to progress in AA. He's at the earlier expected in 2014, right around when Sano will be coming up so it makes sense.

Looks like 2013 will be another 90+ loss season.

Wouldn't surprise me if Willingham and/or Morneau was traded though.

kanuck87 11-29-2012 05:46 PM

Great trade for the Nats. Giving up only one prospect for a good player in Span who is only 28 and has a team friendly contract for 2, potentially 3, years. I don't know much about the prospect, but a quick look shows he's 22 and he played in A-ball the entire season. He had good stats, but it's in A-ball, and he's too old for that league.

Anytime you get a solid position player for that kind of a prospect, that's a massive win. it likely won't hurt the Nats either. They still have Strasburg, Zimmerman, Gonzalez, and Detwiler, who are all very young to relative young starters. They can afford to give up a prospect in the lower levels.

Washington has a great team going right now, though they're probably missing that one feared middle of the order hitter. Otherwise, it's a lineup full of good and very good hitters.

darko 11-29-2012 05:53 PM

Twins now may be a borderline top-10 farm system.

AdmiralsFan24 11-29-2012 06:01 PM

This is a fantastic trade for the Twins.

seafoam 11-29-2012 06:08 PM

Guess the Nats are not getting Bourn.

robert terwilliger 11-29-2012 06:36 PM

dave cameron posted this on twitter:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...yers=8347,5015

Blackhawkswincup 11-29-2012 08:52 PM

Good trade for Nats

Span is solid player

Reality Check 11-29-2012 09:48 PM

It's a good trade if Span can stay healthy. Which might be why Minnesota didn't get as much as they hoped for.

Revere is a downgrade so I guess they are starting to rebuild while hanging onto Mauer

Clowe Me 11-29-2012 11:53 PM

I'm not huge on Span, but only losing 1 prospect makes this a very good deal for the Nats.

And that prospect fills a need for Minnesota.

Clowe Me 11-29-2012 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reality Check (Post 56131161)
It's a good trade if Span can stay healthy. Which might be why Minnesota didn't get as much as they hoped for.

Revere is a downgrade so I guess they are starting to rebuild while hanging onto Mauer

No one in their right minds would take Mauer and that albatross of a contract.

Avs_19 11-30-2012 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clowe Me (Post 56133655)
No one in their right minds would take Mauer and that albatross of a contract.

Apparently the Red Sox asked about Mauer in September, October, and earlier this month but they were told he's unavailable. No comment on the "in their right mind" part. :laugh:

Good trade for the Nats.

Clowe Me 11-30-2012 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avs_19 (Post 56133809)
Apparently the Red Sox asked about Mauer in September, October, and earlier this month but they were told he's unavailable. No comment on the "in their right mind" part. :laugh:

I guess when you've just gotten rid of a bajillion dollars off your roster from last years opening day, you can make such bad moves. :laugh:

What were the Twins thinking for not even listening?

Brad Tolliver 11-30-2012 12:30 AM

Nats should have just traded gas can Storen for him a few years back instead of letting him blow that game 5. Still can't believe the Nats turned that trade down.

thestonedkoala 12-01-2012 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clowe Me (Post 56133869)
I guess when you've just gotten rid of a bajillion dollars off your roster from last years opening day, you can make such bad moves. :laugh:

What were the Twins thinking for not even listening?

Losing millions of dollars in TV, advertising, and ticket sales?

Marc the Habs Fan 12-01-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver (Post 56134297)
Nats should have just traded gas can Storen for him a few years back instead of letting him blow that game 5. Still can't believe the Nats turned that trade down.

Hmm, was this at the same time they then the fleeced the Twins of Wilson Ramos for Matt Capps?

Clowe Me 12-01-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo (Post 56157583)
Losing millions of dollars in TV, advertising, and ticket sales?

No, by trading most of the players making big bucks.

thestonedkoala 12-02-2012 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clowe Me (Post 56166669)
No, by trading most of the players making big bucks.

I think Minnesota would have lost a LOT more money if they traded away Mauer than they would have gained.

Clowe Me 12-02-2012 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo (Post 56177841)
I think Minnesota would have lost a LOT more money if they traded away Mauer than they would have gained.

If they continue to be a doormat and Mauer continues to be injury-prone, they will lose ticket sales and advertising. I'm pretty sure they will have a tv deal with FSNNorth if Mauer is there or not.

thestonedkoala 12-02-2012 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clowe Me (Post 56178143)
If they continue to be a doormat and Mauer continues to be injury-prone, they will lose ticket sales and advertising. I'm pretty sure they will have a tv deal with FSNNorth if Mauer is there or not.

Not really with advertising if Mauer continues to be injury prone. They lost a lot if Mauer is traded. He should be a DH at this point.

The other question is; what do you get back for him? That's the other issue. You're not going to get anything of value, so why trade him?