HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Best goalie while a Pen (Fans opinion) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1299687)

Darth Yoda 11-30-2012 12:34 PM

Best goalie while a Pen (Fans opinion)
 
Please vote not sure if you're feeling that your grasp of Tom Barrasso are too limited, like i did.


Tom Barrasso had part of 12 seasons playing for the club:
  • 460 GP, 226 wins. Playoffs: 101 GP, 56 wins.
  • Two Cups
  • One 2nd All-Star Team selection
  • Three times in top-10 save percentage


Marc-Andre Fleury now has eight seasons for the club:
  • 435 GP, 226 wins. Playoffs: 75 GP, 43 wins.
  • One Cup
  • One Cup final
  • One All-Star Game appearance
  • One time in top-10 save percentage
  • Third stringer on Canadas olymic team in 2010

ColePens 11-30-2012 03:12 PM

It's not a beautiful category.. that's for sure. (Fleury was in 2 Cup Finals, btw).

I'd take Fleury.....? :dunno:

Shady Machine 11-30-2012 03:20 PM

I'm going to say Barrasso for now, due to Fleury's recent playoff showings. If he can turn those around in the next 2 seasons, then it's Fleury.

vikingGoalie 11-30-2012 03:30 PM

Fleury is a better goaltender, at least in talent/ability relative to his peers then Barasso was.

However he's kinda got a 2 cent head at times. Tough call right now, but I'm taking Fleury by a nose for now...

wgknestrick 11-30-2012 03:34 PM

Tom Barasso and it's not even close. MAF has had 2 good half seasons and 1 good playoff for the Pens. Unfortunately, he didn't even win the cup that year. MAF has been average most times, while Tommy was one of the best puck handling goaltenders ever. Just look at how many assists he has. He was also above average at stopping the puck behind a generally offense first team.

I don't use wins as anything other than a team stat. MAF could be one of the best goaltenders based on talent alone, but has been unable to convert his quick feet and reactions into a high SV%. It is time for him to get a new goalie coach IMO, or time for the Pens to move on.

Sivek 11-30-2012 04:19 PM

Barrasso

Not the strongest group here

Illinest 11-30-2012 04:32 PM

Tom barasso by a lot. Not even close.

Til the End of Time 11-30-2012 04:34 PM

fleurys hasnt had a playoff save percentage over .900 since like 2009 or something. thats pretty bad.

wgknestrick 11-30-2012 06:32 PM

Can't find the Tugnutt button

Mordax 11-30-2012 06:46 PM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_hxBuvxzvvV.../s400/pens.jpg

MonsterSurge 11-30-2012 06:58 PM

Fleury is so inconsistent...

JEAN-SEBASTIEN AUBIN! :D

vikingGoalie 11-30-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wgknestrick (Post 56144747)
... It is time for him to get a new goalie coach IMO, or time for the Pens to move on....

For the life of me I don't know why the Pens haven't gotten a new goalie coach yet.
I would've done it after the Montreal series. The One pad up, one down was something he really started doing that year, and if you look at a lot of the bad goals it was when he was in that position.

There is no doubt that he phenomanlly gifted physically for the position. But the consistency needs to be better, a lot of that has to fall on the goalie coach. Even if it's simply his message isn't getting through anymore. Look how Smith turned his career around when he went to Phoenix and got a different goalie coach.

They should done that along with bringing in Vokoun imo....

Ogrezilla 11-30-2012 11:11 PM

Bar*******

#66 12-01-2012 12:50 AM

Tommy B... but I think MAF will pass him one day. Barrasso got little to no help on D most nights and still found ways to win. Say what you will about him off the ice but how many goalies would put the team first instead of worrying about their own stats. IMO he's the best American goalie ever and belongs in the HoF.

wgknestrick 12-01-2012 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #66 (Post 56156423)
IMO he's the best American goalie ever and belongs in the HoF.

I am pretty sure that Thomas has already passed TB on just a couple of elite seasons. Thomas is Hasek lite...too bad he isn't much younger than him.


Pens have one of the weakest goal-tending lineups I've ever seen for a team. Even our best of the best would still be backups on about a third of current NHL teams. At least we have CBJ beat. I am also picking TB because he is not "80% SV%" MAF.

wgknestrick 12-01-2012 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikingGoalie (Post 56153745)
For the life of me I don't know why the Pens haven't gotten a new goalie coach yet.
I would've done it after the Montreal series. The One pad up, one down was something he really started doing that year, and if you look at a lot of the bad goals it was when he was in that position.

There is no doubt that he phenomanlly gifted physically for the position. But the consistency needs to be better, a lot of that has to fall on the goalie coach. Even if it's simply his message isn't getting through anymore. Look how Smith turned his career around when he went to Phoenix and got a different goalie coach.

They should done that along with bringing in Vokoun imo....

You mean a goaltender that's been in the league for 7 years and hasn't improved his puck handling, rebound control, or positioning is poorly coached?

#66 12-01-2012 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wgknestrick (Post 56156887)
I am pretty sure that Thomas has already passed TB on just a couple of elite seasons. Thomas is Hasek lite...too bad he isn't much younger than him.


Pens have one of the weakest goal-tending lineups I've ever seen for a team. Even our best of the best would still be backups on about a third of current NHL teams. At least we have CBJ beat. I am also picking TB because he is not "80% SV%" MAF.

Eh I don't even think Thomas beats Richter. You put Barrasso on a defensive minded team and play a Yeti in front of him and he'll have elite stats too. Look at 98 and 99 when the Pens cleaned up their act under Constantine.

Rob Scuderi 12-01-2012 05:11 PM

Frank Brimsek is my pick for the second best American after Chelios.

Best goalie in the world from mid 30s to end of 40s and definitely better than Barrasso or Thomas.

PensFan68 12-01-2012 05:38 PM

Tough one. I think Fleury has much more skill, but he's just so damn hot and cold. Tommy indeed would've been better with better D, but I just never really saw him as that great a goalie.

I'm still going with TB because you knew what you were getting from him. When MAF is on, he's one of the best ever, but when he's off he's pretty brutal. Unfortunetly, throughout his career he's had more brutul/mediocre games than great ones.

Burgs 12-01-2012 05:56 PM

Fleury's athleticism and reflexes combined with Barrasso's determination and puck-handling would create a goalie for the ages. As of today, Barrasso should still have the edge.

Jesus Vitale 12-02-2012 02:13 AM

Ty Conklin :sarcasm:

but seriously i voted Barrasso. Fleury is just so dang inconsistent, even over the course of a game. make a bunch of spectacular saves and then let in a softie at the end. he should have like at least 30 shutouts by now.

DyerMaker66 12-02-2012 02:56 AM

Ron Tugnutt ftw!

I hate that Tommy B's name even gets mentioned: The dude couldn't make a save to save his life and he gets credit for playing behind a team that could outscore the opposition no matter how many terrbible goals he let in.

Tender Rip 12-02-2012 03:59 AM

Barasso by.... a lot. Isn't saying all that much though.

Ugene Malkin 12-02-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 (Post 56178729)
Ron Tugnutt ftw!

I hate that Tommy B's name even gets mentioned: The dude couldn't make a save to save his life and he gets credit for playing behind a team that could outscore the opposition no matter how many terrbible goals he let in.

Funny when the top star in the league can come and tell you to keep it to 3 and under.

Ogrezilla 12-02-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 (Post 56178729)
Ron Tugnutt ftw!

I hate that Tommy B's name even gets mentioned: The dude couldn't make a save to save his life and he gets credit for playing behind a team that could outscore the opposition no matter how many terrbible goals he let in.

Barrasso was very good.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.