HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Baseball (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Trade: [LAA/ATL] Tommy Hanson to the Angels for Jordan Walden (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1299693)

Marc the Habs Fan 11-30-2012 11:50 AM

[LAA/ATL] Tommy Hanson to the Angels for Jordan Walden

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
Angels trade for tommy hanson

DKnobler ‏@DKnobler
Hanson goes to Angels for Walden

Good trade for the Angels.

Are the Braves planning to trade one of their quality relievers? Their BP was already a strength.

MurrayBannerman 11-30-2012 11:58 AM

... for Jordan Walden

Vamos Rafa 11-30-2012 12:01 PM

Who the **** is Jordan Walden?

Big McLargehuge 11-30-2012 12:03 PM

What the ****, Atlanta?

You don't trade #2-3 starters for set-up guys who are the same age straight up...especially not when you already have one of the best bullpens in baseball.

OrioleWay 11-30-2012 12:32 PM

I like it better for Angels. Hanson, well, was not so long time ago in the category of the best young pitchers in the league. He was quite a terrible last season but Walden was pretty much expendable for LAAA. It's nice trade every time you get young and useful pitcher who could give you 200 IP for bullpen arm.

MurrayBannerman 11-30-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge (Post 56141151)
What the ****, Atlanta?

You don't trade #2-3 starters for set-up guys who are the same age straight up...especially not when you already have one of the best bullpens in baseball.

You do when shoulder problems threaten his career, which pretty much all shoulder problems do these days.

Big Poppa Puck 11-30-2012 01:14 PM

I thought Hanson had more value than that. Jesus.

Oilbleeder 11-30-2012 01:26 PM

I like this for LAAAA. Though i think this indicates Atlanta thinks Hanson's velocity drop will be permanent.

Still even if Hanson becomes a #3, a guy who is under team control for 3 years and can give you 200 IP for a reliever is a good deal.

I think Atlanta has one more deal up their sleeve. They have some ridiculous depth at BP and with the holes at LF and 3B, unless you have a deal ready for one of those guys, im not sure this makes much sense (doesnt Towers love his relief pitchers ;)).

Oxide 11-30-2012 02:08 PM

In a chat yesterday Keith Law said the inside of Hanson's shoulder looks like ground meat.

Static 11-30-2012 02:24 PM

I'd like this trade better if Hanson's arm wasn't done. What's he lost, 6-7 mph of velocity?

bluesfan94 11-30-2012 02:37 PM

Atlanta also has a glut of young arms.

MurrayBannerman 11-30-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluesfan94 (Post 56144807)
Atlanta also has a glut of young arms.

Teheran, Delgado, Gilmartin, nom nom nom

robert terwilliger 11-30-2012 03:53 PM

joe sheehan said it pretty well on twitter.

Quote:

You know what the ballsy play is? The ballsy play is to trade Craig Kimbrel for his perceived value now that you have reliever depth.
dangle kimbrel to an idiot like dayton moore.

Ozamataz Buckshank 11-30-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Static (Post 56144547)
I'd like this trade better if Hanson's arm wasn't done. What's he lost, 6-7 mph of velocity?

Yea, Hanson barely hits 90mph regularly anymore.

http://i.imgur.com/5qO99.png

Not a good sign for a 25 year old.

Chazz Reinhold 11-30-2012 05:03 PM

http://mlb.si.com/2012/11/30/tommy-h...?sct=mlb_wr_a1

Nose of Sutter 11-30-2012 05:20 PM

I'm not sure what to think yet as an Angels fan, Walden lost a step last year and as hope fades that Grenkie resigns in Anaheim we are in desperate need of pitching, I think Hanson can still be a decent #3-4 guy I will be more comfortable if we can get Lohse or Sanchez, both would be nice though. :P

BPR* 11-30-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robert terwilliger (Post 56146275)

Think they could get a pretty good asset out of Detroit. Casetllanos perhaps.

darko 11-30-2012 09:17 PM

Hanson is sitting in high 80s these days and looks out of sorts. They are taking a risk here but then again Walden isn't exactly setting the world on fire.

Dont get why Braves would want Walden. They need hitting.

darko 11-30-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robert terwilliger (Post 56146275)

Probably offers Myers + for Kimbrel.

Blades of Glory 12-01-2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darko (Post 56153577)
Probably offers Myers + for Kimbrel.

Do you really think Dayton Moore is that clueless? You might be right.

I still don't understand this from a Braves' POV. Hanson did suffer from an acute loss of velocity last year. I think it was really obvious that he wasn't the same pitcher during the last few months of the season that he was early on. But he still had decent strikeout numbers and his BABIP was way higher than his career mark. I can understand Atlanta trading him, but I cannot for the life of me understand trading him for a worthless bullpen arm like Jordan Walden.

Static 12-01-2012 11:02 AM

Because there is an excellent chance Hanson is right handed Scott Kazmir. I wouldn't be surprised if he only lasts another year in baseball.

Blades of Glory 12-01-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Static (Post 56161069)
Because there is an excellent chance Hanson is right handed Scott Kazmir. I wouldn't be surprised if he only lasts another year in baseball.

Not sure I see the reasoning for this comparison. Kazmir always had major control issues, whereas Hanson has not. I would argue that the premise for being the "enxt" Scott Kazmir has to be based around the inability to throw a ball near the strike zone. Which Hanson has always had.

Static 12-01-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blades of Glory (Post 56164201)
Not sure I see the reasoning for this comparison. Kazmir always had major control issues, whereas Hanson has not. I would argue that the premise for being the "enxt" Scott Kazmir has to be based around the inability to throw a ball near the strike zone. Which Hanson has always had.

Hanson's command has gotten worse with his loss of velocity, a common trait for power pitchers who can't run FBs past hitters anymore (see Lincecum, Tim). Couple that with his seemingly now chronic shoulder problems and I wouldn't be surprised if he folds. At least Anaheim's stadium will help with his HR issues.

KH1 12-01-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blades of Glory (Post 56159569)
Do you really think Dayton Moore is that clueless? You might be right.

I still don't understand this from a Braves' POV. Hanson did suffer from an acute loss of velocity last year. I think it was really obvious that he wasn't the same pitcher during the last few months of the season that he was early on. But he still had decent strikeout numbers and his BABIP was way higher than his career mark. I can understand Atlanta trading him, but I cannot for the life of me understand trading him for a worthless bullpen arm like Jordan Walden.

I am almost certain that Dayton Moore is that clueless.

Along the same lines, Atlanta could probably fleece the Yankees by selling Kimbrel as a replacement for Soriano. When Wren calls Yankee Stadium, he just needs to make sure to ask to be connected to Randy Levine instead of Cashman :shakehead