HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Referendum starts process (against) Glendale arena deal with Jamison (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1299893)

LadyStanley 11-30-2012 04:27 PM

Referendum starts process (against) Glendale arena deal with Jamison
 
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ffort/1738133/

Quote:

...Glendale residents Ken Jones and Francine Romesburg, formed a political committee called Back to Sanity, to initiate a referendum.

The committee has less than 30 days to collect nearly 7,000 signatures.
...
Jones tried to get a referendum on the November ballot, but was unable to collect the necessary number of signatures.

This is the saga that never ends.....

cbcwpg 11-30-2012 04:43 PM

Posted in the big thread, but this is specific to the referendum. Some comments.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n....html?page=all

They will likely need to collect roughly 6,900 voters signatures based on rules that require referendum organizers gets valid voter signatures from 10 percent of those who turned out for the most recent election. The November 2012 election saw 69,558 valid ballots cast, according to an official canvas of votes. Those signatures will have to be collected by Dec. 27 — one month after the Glendale City Council’s 4-2 decision on Nov. 27 in favor the Coyotes deal.

Anti-Coyotes activist Ken Jones is involved in the referendum effort. “We have a lot more help this time than we had last time,” Jones said.

Phoenix attorney Walt Opaska, who unsuccessfully ran for mayor this year, is helping with the anti-Coyotes referendum. “I will help Ken organize the effort and collect signatures,” Opaska said.

“I do not plan on helping, assisting or supporting the efforts of Mr. Jones and Mr. Opaska and others in their efforts to take the arena deal to a public vote. I have not been asked to do so. I do not plan to volunteer to do so,” Scruggs said.

No Fun Shogun 11-30-2012 04:48 PM

If they couldn't get less signatures than that in a greater amount of time the first time around, I doubt they're really accomplish that goal in a month.

Whileee 11-30-2012 05:05 PM

Unless there is a well-organized effort with sufficient funding, there is no way that they'll get the required number of signatures. I think that the lease approval is pretty much a done deal. The only thing that might put a wrench in it would be a legal challenge on the basis of the gift clause. Now, the waiting begins again for Mr. Jamison to pull together the purchase deal.

MarkhamNHL 11-30-2012 05:10 PM

looks like he has help this time... I think he did a remarkable job last time... you have to remember this is a senior citizen out there everyday in the boiling sun...

i'm sure the better organization will come thru this time...

JMROWE 11-30-2012 10:01 PM

I think Ken Jones going to be well organized this time around & get enough signatures to force a referendum on glendales arena deal with Jamison . Because this deal involves basicly giving subsidies to the coyotes with taxpayer money & in republican state that won't fly . If there is a referendum on this it won't go in the coyotes favour because there more people in glendale that want the coyotes gone then want them to stay & besides even if this deal Jamison gose through the coyotes won't survive the lockout .

DL44 12-01-2012 12:48 AM

At the end of the day he will be challenged further by the requirement that he has to get signatures of people who actually voted on Nov 6th election...

Meaning 100% of the people that previously signed will have had to of voted that day... and then still has to find the rest of the votes.

finding 6900 votes from 69,000 specific people.... i'm no expert.. but that seems like a challenge.

(maybe it would help if we knew how big of pool he pulling from prior and total signatures. I'll read up.)

NORiculous 12-01-2012 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DL44 (Post 56157255)
At the end of the day he will be challenged further by the requirement that he has to get signatures of people who actually voted on Nov 6th election...

Meaning 100% of the people that previously signed will have had to of voted that day... and then still has to find the rest of the votes.

finding 6900 votes from 69,000 specific people.... i'm no expert.. but that seems like a challenge.

(maybe it would help if we knew how big of pool he pulling from prior and total signatures. I'll read up.)

Well... Since its a list... The first step would be to have that list, including contact info. Once that is done, all you need to do is to have a team that works the clock; It becomes a math problem more then anthing else.

calmdown 12-01-2012 09:09 AM

Difference between Back to Sanity and last summer petition.
1. Last summer it wasn't clear that the Coyotes were part of the financial problems of Glendale, even at the city council. Now, Horatio Skeete said two important things during COG workshops. First, with tax hike and no Coyotes there would be NO JOBS CUT. Second he could not recommend to the council to sign the deal
2. In last elections, citizens of Glendale voted to keep the tax hike to avoid losing jobs and cut of services.
3. This time, Back to Sanity will surely get help from all those people whose job might be in danger because of the vote of the 11/27. Beginning with fire and police department and libraries. Talking of fire department, we must not forget the power they had in last election, even Joyce Clark lost her election against a fire department representative.
4. As last summer petition was a negative one (against Yotes) this one is much a positive one (keep jobs).

But even if all this is logic, to succeed it must be based on the importance of saving jobs, not on the choice of keeping or letting go the Coyotes. (sorry I can't use "losing Coyotes" because always pumping money from the city, it would not be a lost for citizens) As I was saying, even if all this is logic it will depend on how informed are Glendale citizens. As I could see in past months, city council workshops are almost empty and it seem that they are not interested by hockey.

Dojji* 12-01-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calmdown (Post 56159573)
Difference between Back to Sanity and last summer petition.
1. Last summer it wasn't clear that the Coyotes were part of the financial problems of Glendale, even at the city council. Now, Horatio Skeete said two important things during COG workshops. First, with tax hike and no Coyotes there would be NO JOBS CUT. Second he could not recommend to the council to sign the deal
2. In last elections, citizens of Glendale voted to keep the tax hike to avoid losing jobs and cut of services.
3. This time, Back to Sanity will surely get help from all those people whose job might be in danger because of the vote of the 11/27. Beginning with fire and police department and libraries. Talking of fire department, we must not forget the power they had in last election, even Joyce Clark lost her election against a fire department representative.
4. As last summer petition was a negative one (against Yotes) this one is much a positive one (keep jobs).

But even if all this is logic, to succeed it must be based on the importance of saving jobs, not on the choice of keeping or letting go the Coyotes. (sorry I can't use "losing Coyotes" because always pumping money from the city, it would not be a lost for citizens) As I was saying, even if all this is logic it will depend on how informed are Glendale citizens. As I could see in past months, city council workshops are almost empty and it seem that they are not interested by hockey.



Quote:

Location: Quebec City
Yep.

kdb209 12-01-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DL44 (Post 56157255)
At the end of the day he will be challenged further by the requirement that he has to get signatures of people who actually voted on Nov 6th election...

Quote:

Originally Posted by NORiculous (Post 56158193)
Well... Since its a list... The first step would be to have that list, including contact info. Once that is done, all you need to do is to have a team that works the clock; It becomes a math problem more then anthing else.

No. You need signatures based on the number of votes cast in the last citywide election - but those signatures can come from any registered voter in the city, not just those who voted in the election.

Steve 12-01-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dojji (Post 56161135)
Yep.

Please, for the love of God, force Bettman to move the Coyotes. Apart from being annoying for almost 3 years, a move can only help in future CBA negotiations. This franchise should have been moved a long time ago.

Dojji* 12-01-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 56161215)
Please, for the love of God, force Bettman to move the Coyotes. Apart from being annoying for almost 3 years, a move can only help in future CBA negotiations. This franchise should have been moved a long time ago.

I have yet to see an overwhelmingly negative aspect of keeping the Coyotes right in Phoenix, and I'm not keen, if they do move, to move them to a market that has already failed once.

GordonGraham 12-01-2012 11:52 AM

Just the fact that they are starting the process

Does this mean that Jamison cant buy the team in the next 30 days( now maybe 27-28)

Gotaf7 12-01-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dojji (Post 56161537)
I have yet to see an overwhelmingly negative aspect of keeping the Coyotes right in Phoenix, and I'm not keen, if they do move, to move them to a market that has already failed once.

The Market did not fail! The Canadadian dollar failed, and they had no one that wanted to own them. A team in Quebec will be a top 10 revenue producer just like Winnipeg!

JMROWE 12-01-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gotaf7 (Post 56162269)
The Market did not fail! The Canadadian dollar failed, and they had no one that wanted to own them. A team in Quebec will be a top 10 revenue producer just like Winnipeg!

Your Exactly right a team in Quebec City would be easly a to 10 revenue producer has Hamilton would be easly a top 5 revenue producer . Somebody has to tell Gary Bettman & his goons that the NHL. in Arizona in failure & it is time to move the team to a stronger market like a Quebec City or Hamilton . Another thing Gary Bettman & his goons have to realize the NHL. has growen hockey in the USA. as far as it can go & its time to focus on cutting the fat in which I mean moving some of the weaker teams that are beyond economicall repair to stronger markets like Hamilton , Quebec City & Seattle which could mean a brighter future for the NHL. if they can get this lockout business sorted out .

rt 12-01-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gotaf7 (Post 56162269)
The Market did not fail! The Canadadian dollar failed, and they had no one that wanted to own them. A team in Quebec will be a top 10 revenue producer just like Winnipeg!

And the current relative strength of the Canadian dollar and the current relative weakness of the US Dollar will hold forever?

aqib 12-01-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rt (Post 56163175)
And the current relative strength of the Canadian dollar and the current relative weakness of the US Dollar will hold forever?

Maybe not at its current level but it won't go to 67 cents on the dollar that it was back then either

metalfoot 12-01-2012 01:07 PM

Yes, on a purely business/logistical standpoint, the USA has ceased being the most important market and most important currency in the world, so the Canadian dollar will never go back to 65c levels. Having said that, with both Quebec and Winnipeg the league was in a big hurry to leave ---what if QC or the Peg had been given a 3-year stay of execution?--- because it had markets it wanted to open up, and it was a nice way of flipping the bird at the WHA just one more time.

HabsByTheBay 12-01-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rt (Post 56163175)
And the current relative strength of the Canadian dollar and the current relative weakness of the US Dollar will hold forever?

Canadian franchises are much better equipped to ride out a weak Canadian dollar (which won't be 65 cents) than 20 years ago.

Regional sports networks and a new arena in QC and Winnipeg's case help a lot.

Steve 12-01-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dojji (Post 56161537)
I have yet to see an overwhelmingly negative aspect of keeping the Coyotes right in Phoenix, and I'm not keen, if they do move, to move them to a market that has already failed once.

I don't care where they move to, it's obvious Phoenix isn't working. They have a good team, good arena and lost ALOT of money. I'm not sure what this new owner is thinking, obviously he feels he can make money where others have lost.

Move it anywhere... Please.

Wolf357 12-01-2012 01:37 PM

Sweet merciful crap this will never end....ever,never,ever,never,ever,ever,never,ever, never,ever,never,ever,ever,never,never,ever,never. ..............
With the lockout,and the freaking Cluster **** of Gongdale, the NHL is comming off totaly Bushleague

CREW99AW 12-01-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf357 (Post 56164145)
Sweet merciful crap this will never end....ever,never,ever,never,ever,ever,never,ever, never,ever,never,ever,ever,never,never,ever,never. ..............
With the lockout,and the freaking Cluster **** of Gongdale, the NHL is comming off totaly Bushleague

I disagree. With the City Council approving the Coyotes lease and the incoming Mayor indicating he won't fight that lease, we have a light at the end of the tunnel.

The referendum leaders, need an awful lot of signatures in a short amount of time.

Which lucky fanbase, will be the focus of the relocation happy crowd, once Jamison completes his purchase of the Coyotes? :sarcasm:

CREW99AW 12-01-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 56163909)
I don't care where they move to, it's obvious Phoenix isn't working. They have a good team, good arena and lost ALOT of money. I'm not sure what this new owner is thinking, obviously he feels he can make money where others have lost.

Move it anywhere... Please.

I'd guess that Jamison is thinking a much stronger lease from the city + revenue sharing + increased tix sales/attendance from a strong on ice product, will be where he makes his money.

FakeKidPoker* 12-01-2012 02:14 PM

People have been saying the Canadian dollar will crash for 7 years.. hasn't happened yet... won't happen in the next 4 years..

You want a good reason to move the Coyotes? How about loses of 25 million dollars+ every year.

Simple.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.