HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Flyers Going Foward (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1300011)

MillerTime2181 12-01-2012 01:08 AM

Flyers Going Foward

With the lockout and the potential ramifications from a new CBA is anyone worried about losing the Flyers future? I'm really liking what I'm seeing/hearing from Brayden Schenn in the AHL so far this year if that translates to the NHL that'd be gravy. Also from what w've seen of Sean Couturier last year and this year in the AHL it's obvious both have a bright future. However....what if the new CBA forces us to get rid of one or both of them? Ideally I'd like to see B. Schenn, S. Couturier and of course C. Giroux as the centers/in a Flyers uniform for the next decade +. I guess my question is two part.... do you all think the new CBA (in all likelihood obviously since its not in affect yet) will froce us to get rid of young talent such as Schenn or Couturier and if so who stays who goes?

djlethal08 12-01-2012 06:10 AM

There's no way the new CBA would force the Flyers to move Schenn or Couturier. Or I should say at least a decision won't be needed for a few years. Next August Schenn will turn 22, and Couturier will turn 21 next December. And including this year in the AHL they will both have 2 years of their ELC used up.

Now I have no idea what the new CBA will look like in relation to age/service time for players to qualify for RFA or UFA, but I can guarantee that whatever happens guys won't be hitting UFA at 22 or 23 years old with only 2 or 3 years of service.

So no, the new CBA (whenever it gets worked out) will not force the Flyers to move either of the two for at least a couple of years. At which point if a choice needs to be made (for salary cap purposes) you'll have a much better idea as to what kind of player each of one is.

GKJ 12-01-2012 10:37 AM

Why would it have to? What scenario is possible coming out of the CBA that would force us to get rid of one of them? Having too many good centers with potential star-billing?

Bill_Meltzer 12-01-2012 10:57 AM

I don't think the Flyers will lose Schenn or Couturier any time soon, regardless of the terms of the next CBA. However, I can easily a situation with Matt Read similar to the one with R.J. Umberger, where the team will not be able to retain him as soon as his salary escalates.

flyershockey 12-01-2012 11:07 AM

Unfortunately, I don't see Read on the team past the end of his current deal. He's a guy that broke into the NHL at a late age and on a cheap deal. He's going to have to make the most of his next contract and I could see another Leino situation happening. I won't fault the guy for it, he's got to make his money, but the Flyers probably won't be a in a situation to overpay for a guy like Read.

As far as Schenn and Couturier go, the flyers shouldn't lose either of them anytime soon. If anything, I could see Schenn moved to the wing if they feel the need for them all to be top six forwards.

MillerTime2181 12-01-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKJ (Post 56159877)
Why would it have to? What scenario is possible coming out of the CBA that would force us to get rid of one of them? Having too many good centers with potential star-billing?

I should have clarified. I didn't necissarily mean immediately once the new CBA is in affect. I meant more so when both are up for new contracts. Which, even though we will have their rights (restricted free agents), will the Flyers be able to afford them? Giroux will be in need of a significant raise, Simmonds, Voracek, and Hartnell's long-term deals will be in affect (with their raises), and we all know the albatross that is Bryzgalov's contract. Coupled with what will almost certainly be a drop in cap ceiling I wonder what the Flyers would do? I'd much rather them trade away Read, Simmonds, Voracek ect. than any of Giroux, Schenn or Couturier.

achdumeingute 12-02-2012 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MillerTime2181 (Post 56163237)
I should have clarified. I didn't necissarily mean immediately once the new CBA is in affect. I meant more so when both are up for new contracts. Which, even though we will have their rights (restricted free agents), will the Flyers be able to afford them? Giroux will be in need of a significant raise, Simmonds, Voracek, and Hartnell's long-term deals will be in affect (with their raises), and we all know the albatross that is Bryzgalov's contract. Coupled with what will almost certainly be a drop in cap ceiling I wonder what the Flyers would do? I'd much rather them trade away Read, Simmonds, Voracek ect. than any of Giroux, Schenn or Couturier.

Who knows what kind of scalebacks or limits will be set on contract length, ect.

I'm not worried about it. One of the nice things about being a Flyers fan is that money is rarely an issue when keeping a valuable player.

I have not been following the AHL, just looked up the stats, Justin Schultz...wtf!

Rolex 12-04-2012 12:40 PM

One of the things that really pushed up the salaries for the teams was the raiding of RFAs with offer sheets from other teams. I suspect that the new CBA will restrict that quite a bit. Organizations can live with competition for UFAs but the raiding of teams young stars has to stop for many reasons.