HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   St. Louis Blues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Blues Prospects in wjc (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1300055)

Frenzy1 12-01-2012 05:50 AM

Blues Prospects in wjc

We are a month out from the wjc.

I think we will be represented well. Who do you think will make their respective teams?

Canada - Rattle, Binnington

Czk -Jaskin

Finn. Lindbohm

Alklha 12-01-2012 06:22 AM

I think that about covers it.

From what I have read, Binnington has been the best Canadian goalie so far this season but it looks like Subban will be the starter. So unless Subban gets injured, or has a breakdown, then I doubt we'll get to see any of Binnington.

SirPaste 12-01-2012 08:39 AM

Is Hakanpaa(sp?) too old to play now?

WildcatMapleLeafs28 12-01-2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirPaste (Post 56159341)
Is Hakanpaa(sp?) too old to play now?

Ya. He's a 92' born, you would have to be a 93' born (19) this year.

Stealth JD 12-01-2012 09:30 AM

Schmaltz might get a camp invite, but his best chance of making it will probably be next year.

STL fan in IA 12-02-2012 01:22 AM

Don't forget about Lundstrom. He's got a good shot of getting one of the goalie spots for Sweden.

Robb_K 12-02-2012 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alklha (Post 56158669)
I think that about covers it.

From what I have read, Binnington has been the best Canadian goalie so far this season but it looks like Subban will be the starter. So unless Subban gets injured, or has a breakdown, then I doubt we'll get to see any of Binnington.

They're only going to play ONE goalie throughout the tournament????

Alklha 12-02-2012 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robb_K (Post 56178983)

My opinion is that would certainly be their preference right now. With the not insignificant struggles in that position for the Canadians in recent years I really don't see them messing with it if their #1 starts strong. Also, I'm not sure the schedule of Germany, Slovakia, USA and then Russia really offers an ideal spot to play the back-up.

kfox9611 12-02-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robb_K (Post 56178983)

Thats what we usually do.. The last time a Canada goalie went start to finish and played every minute was Carey Price.

Prussian_Blue 12-02-2012 10:30 PM

Jaskin is Russian, not Czech.

bluesfan94 12-02-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue (Post 56200525)
Jaskin is Russian, not Czech.

He was born in Russia, but he plays for the Czech national team.

http://czechhockeyreport.blogspot.co...inary-wjc.html
Quote:

Jaškin is currently the highest scorer among junior-aged players in the Extraliga, so his loss hurts. The 17-year-old made a strong case for his inclusion on the World Junior team a couple of weeks ago in a U20 tournament in České Budějovice and Karlovy Vary. There he was one of the offensive stars of the Czech team, recording a hat-trick against Russia in the tournament opener.

STL fan in IA 12-03-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STL fan in IA (Post 56178529)
Don't forget about Lundstrom. He's got a good shot of getting one of the goalie spots for Sweden.

Lundstrom has in fact made Sweden's WJC team.

http://www.swehockey.se/Startsidesny...ronornaTeam20/

He's listed as the 2nd goalie but I'll note that due to a recent rule change, teams can now bring 3 goalies to the tourney now. That also makes Binnington's odds of making Canada's team. Binnington probably had the inside edge to the 2nd goalie spot anyway but he should be a virtual lock with 3 goalie slots available. How much either Lundstrom or Binnington play though...who knows.

letmesleep 12-03-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STL fan in IA (Post 56207955)
Lundstrom has in fact made Sweden's WJC team.

http://www.swehockey.se/Startsidesny...ronornaTeam20/

He's listed as the 2nd goalie but I'll note that due to a recent rule change, teams can now bring 3 goalies to the tourney now. That also makes Binnington's odds of making Canada's team. Binnington probably had the inside edge to the 2nd goalie spot anyway but he should be a virtual lock with 3 goalie slots available. How much either Lundstrom or Binnington play though...who knows.

That's awesome news.

Lundstrom being listed as 2nd goalie doesn't mean anything, they're listed in order by what number they will wear on their backs, I believe.

Frenzy1 12-20-2012 01:21 PM

In looking at the WJC thread with Canada and Finnland, looks like Lindbom is wearing the C. Kinda cool.

tfriede2 12-21-2012 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frenzy1 (Post 56698611)
In looking at the WJC thread with Canada and Finnland, looks like Lindbom is wearing the C. Kinda cool.

Wow, good for him. In the "Top Prospects" thread, he STILL hasn't been picked, and we're almost at #30 on the list of Blues top prospects. It seems like absolutely nobody on here has even seen him play one minute of a game before. He could very well be deserving of being in the Blues top 10 prospects. I guess we'll find out when we can actually watch him play during the WJC.

CarvinSigX 12-21-2012 09:36 AM

My favorite time of year. Watch Tarasenko drop to the top 10 in prospects lists after the WJC.

PerryTurnbullfan 12-21-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfriede2 (Post 56712841)
Wow, good for him. In the "Top Prospects" thread, he STILL hasn't been picked, and we're almost at #30 on the list of Blues top prospects. It seems like absolutely nobody on here has even seen him play one minute of a game before. He could very well be deserving of being in the Blues top 10 prospects. I guess we'll find out when we can actually watch him play during the WJC.

I think the big issue is that he is in Finland and may never come over. He is playing in a men's league and doing it well. Good size. From what I have read, he is a good skater with first pass skills, keeps it simple, and plays with a lot of grit to his game. It's just hard to place him.

tfriede2 12-21-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan (Post 56718859)
I think the big issue is that he is in Finland and may never come over. He is playing in a men's league and doing it well. Good size. From what I have read, he is a good skater with first pass skills, keeps it simple, and plays with a lot of grit to his game. It's just hard to place him.

Is him being in Finland really an issue? Is this the same case with Hakanpaa? (I don't think so). I think the main reason why he still hasn't been picked by us in the prospect rankings is that basically none of us have seen him play....and he was a 6th round draft pick - our expectations aren't very high. Perhaps he may never come over, and perhaps he may never been good enough to play in the NHL (so it'll be a moot point), but I think a fear of him staying in Finland is premature at this point.

PerryTurnbullfan 12-21-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfriede2 (Post 56718993)
Is him being in Finland really an issue? Is this the same case with Hakanpaa? (I don't think so). I think the main reason why he still hasn't been picked by us in the prospect rankings is that basically none of us have seen him play....and he was a 6th round draft pick - our expectations aren't very high. Perhaps he may never come over, and perhaps he may never been good enough to play in the NHL (so it'll be a moot point), but I think a fear of him staying in Finland is premature at this point.

Hakanpaa is signed though. That at least is a step in the right direction. I don't have an issue with him as a prospect. I'm actually encouraged by what he brings to the table. The 6th round stigma gets him too. Blues just haven't had much success pulling folks out of Finland in the past. Aaltonen, Nissinen, Lehtera went home... no history. We had Esa Tikkanen once...

Jussi 12-21-2012 01:49 PM

Playing with Ossi Väänänen has certainly rubbed off on Lindbohm according Jokerit fans. Doesn't try anything too fancy and doesn't lose his man very often. Liek hakanpää, I'd say he's a bot of a project player still. Depending on what the next CBA will say about drafter prospects, I'd expect the Blues to sign him either next year on in 2014 and have him play one more year in Finland. Off topic on Hakanpää, but it seems he's had some injury issues and might also have sat out some games due to performances. Has yet to grow into his body fully and has coordination/skating issues.

Crumblin Erb Brooks 12-21-2012 02:28 PM

I watched some of the Can-Fin game, Lindbohm wasnt very noticeable, but I will say that he does have a NHL frame.

Robb_K 12-21-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan (Post 56720191)
Hakanpaa is signed though. That at least is a step in the right direction. I don't have an issue with him as a prospect. I'm actually encouraged by what he brings to the table. The 6th round stigma gets him too. Blues just haven't had much success pulling folks out of Finland in the past. Aaltonen, Nissinen, Lehtera went home... no history. We had Esa Tikkanen once...

And Dave Pulkkinen (or was he rather a Canadian of Finnish origin?). We had a lot of Finno-Canadians in Manitoba when I was growing up.

Jussi 12-21-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks (Post 56721497)
I watched some of the Can-Fin game, Lindbohm wasnt very noticeable, but I will say that he does have a NHL frame.

He rarely is but that is a positive.

InjuredChoker 12-22-2012 11:29 AM

Binnington was solid in the net tonight. 2-1 SO win over Sweden.

Izzy 12-23-2012 08:43 AM

Subban often will have a pretty bad game out of nowhere though, which will hopefully give Binnington a chance to shine