HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Kovalchuk most underated player in NHL? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1300251)

DearDiary 12-01-2012 04:27 PM

Kovalchuk most underated player in NHL?
 
People always blah blah all he can do is shoot, can't skate or do anything else.

But he is very good defensively and at skating so I don't know what they're talking about. His shot is better than Ovechkin, he handles the puck better than Datysuk and is smarter than Malkin. Basically, he is better than the other russian players and is an overall very good player.

On a personal level, he's very smart and kind, and also very good looking? Why isn't he on the cover of every sports magazine??? He doesn't whine either like the other players, he just plays harder. Which makes him a great leader and could be captain on any team in the nhl.

My point is, Kovalchuk is very good and very underrated by the "experts" on the board. I think its very likely he will be the best in the NHL next season, anyone who says otherwise is underrating him and is the reason for topics like this. He is just destroying the KHL right now, the nhl gms must have trade deals for him together already.

MeowLeafs 12-01-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lolipops (Post 56166289)
People always blah blah all he can do is shoot, can't skate or do anything else.

But he is very good defensively and at skating so I don't know what they're talking about. His shot is better than Ovechkin, he handles the puck better than Datysuk and is smarter than Malkin. Basically, he is better than the other russian players and is an overall very good player.

On a personal level, he's very smart and kind, and also very good looking? Why isn't he on the cover of every sports magazine??? He doesn't whine either like the other players, he just plays harder. Which makes him a great leader and could be captain on any team in the nhl.

My point is, Kovalchuk is very good and very underrated by the "experts" on the board. I think its very likely he will be the best in the NHL next season, anyone who says otherwise is underrating him and is the reason for topics like this. He is just destroying the KHL right now, the nhl gms must have trade deals for him together already.

1) He isn't "very good defensively". Has he improved? Sure. But imo he has improved from dreadful to average at best.
2) I don't think he handles the puck better then Datsyuk.
3) I don't think he's that good looking. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's ugly or anything like that, but looks-wise, he seems like an average joe to me.

Anyways, if he's underrated, then it's just a little. Everyone knows that Kovalchuk is an elite player and always has been and easily one of the most deadly goal scorers.

Ginger Jesus 12-01-2012 04:34 PM

I still stick be Elias as being the most underrated.

bleedblue1223 12-01-2012 04:40 PM

I laughed at he's very good defensively and literally stopped when I read he can handle the puck better than Datsyuk.

Machinehead 12-01-2012 04:43 PM

He's underrated but far from the most underrated. People still consider him an elite scorer even if they choose to ignore what else he brings to the table.

HavlatMach9 12-01-2012 04:43 PM

One of the very best snipers of the past decade. Almost all teams would replace their best winger with Kovy. He doesn't need to be good at anything else. He's not underrated.

But if your definition of underrated is that he's not considered the best, that he doesn't land on every magazine cover, then sure he's underrated.

The Zetterberg Era 12-01-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lolipops (Post 56166289)
People always blah blah all he can do is shoot, can't skate or do anything else.

But he is very good defensively and at skating so I don't know what they're talking about. His shot is better than Ovechkin, he handles the puck better than Datysuk and is smarter than Malkin. Basically, he is better than the other russian players and is an overall very good player.

On a personal level, he's very smart and kind, and also very good looking? Why isn't he on the cover of every sports magazine??? He doesn't whine either like the other players, he just plays harder. Which makes him a great leader and could be captain on any team in the nhl.

My point is, Kovalchuk is very good and very underrated by the "experts" on the board. I think its very likely he will be the best in the NHL next season, anyone who says otherwise is underrating him and is the reason for topics like this. He is just destroying the KHL right now, the nhl gms must have trade deals for him together already.

I don't think he is all that underrated, I do think you are overrating him here some of what is said here just isn't true. His playoff run this year was a big help for his respect, but I have always enjoyed watching Kovalchuk play the game. He has probably the best shot release in the game in my opinion when it comes to his wrister.

Also curious are you calling Datsyuk and Malkin whiners?

DatsyukOwns 12-01-2012 04:49 PM

Just no.

MastuhNinks 12-01-2012 04:50 PM

He was just voted the #7 forward in the World here earlier this summer and is generally considered one of if the not the best wingers in the game...

Also is it just me or is this not the first time OP has made a thread praising Kovalchuk and his looks? :help:

Devils Trap 12-01-2012 04:51 PM

No..

Scottyk9 12-01-2012 04:53 PM

Very good on the defensive side of the puck ?

NO

Does he actually make a effort now and tries to play defense ?

Yup, and that's all you can ask considering he's good for 35 goals a year.

MTechnik 12-01-2012 04:53 PM

Most people on here thinks he's better than Ovechkin...

What are you talking about op?

Ginger Jesus 12-01-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MastuhNinks (Post 56166745)
He was just voted the #7 forward in the World here earlier this summer and is generally considered one of if the not the best wingers in the game...

Also is it just me or is this not the first time OP has made a thread praising Kovalchuk and his looks? :help:

He should of been a little bit higher if people didn't ride Giroux so much

Machinehead 12-01-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henrik (Post 56166803)
Most people on here thinks he's better than Ovechkin...

What are you talking about op?

Not saying much considering what HF thinks of Ovechkin right now.

NjDevsRR 12-01-2012 04:58 PM

Not underrated.
Not good defensively. He is average.

He isnt on covers because he was on a bad Atlanta franchise for eight years, now he is on New Jersey. Not exactly marketable for the league. Just the way it is. But you are right on one thing he is really a nice guy to the fans. :handclap:

AD1066 12-01-2012 05:00 PM

First of all, Kovalchuk is in the final 4 of the HFBoards Favorite Player Tournament.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lolipops (Post 56166289)
People always blah blah all he can do is shoot, can't skate or do anything else.

Where have people been saying this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lolipops (Post 56166289)
But he is very good defensively and at skating so I don't know what they're talking about. His shot is better than Ovechkin, he handles the puck better than Datysuk and is smarter than Malkin. Basically, he is better than the other russian players and is an overall very good player.

Datsyuk is definitely the best puckhandler out of that group (and maybe the best in the world?), while Ovie and Malkin have both peaked higher than Kovalchuk.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lolipops (Post 56166289)
On a personal level, he's very smart and kind, and also very good looking? Why isn't he on the cover of every sports magazine??? He doesn't whine either like the other players, he just plays harder. Which makes him a great leader and could be captain on any team in the nhl.

I've never seen Datsyuk or Ovie whine...?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lolipops (Post 56166289)
My point is, Kovalchuk is very good and very underrated by the "experts" on the board. I think its very likely he will be the best in the NHL next season, anyone who says otherwise is underrating him and is the reason for topics like this. He is just destroying the KHL right now, the nhl gms must have trade deals for him together already.

It's impossible to say who's going to be the best in any given year. He could break his leg five games into the season for all we know.

Crosby could be the best if he could stay healthy.
Oveckin could be the best if he returns to form.
Malkin could be the best with another dominant season.
Giroux could be the best if his development continues to trend upwards.
Tavares could be the best with better teammates.
And so on...

The Green Unit 12-01-2012 05:03 PM

The guy just never whines.

Cheddabombs 12-01-2012 05:03 PM

Not sure if serious...

capitalsrock 12-01-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lolipops (Post 56166289)
His shot is better than Ovechkin, he handles the puck better than Datysuk and is smarter than Malkin. Basically, he is better than the other russian players and is an overall very good player.

1.Ovechkin has a better shot than Kovalchuk
2.Datsyuk handles the puck better than Kovalchuk
3.Malkin is smarter than Kovalchuk
4.Kovalchuk is not the best russian
5.I'll give you that, he is a very good player

capitalsrock 12-01-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lolipops (Post 56166289)
Which makes him a great leader and could be captain on any team in the nhl.

Kovalchuk is not even captain of his own team. Anybody with decent leadership could be a captain on the devils considering the lack of competition for the captain position. Elias didn't even want the Captain and Kovalchuk was beat to it by Parise who hadn't been in the NHL for too long and who abandoned his team after being named captain the year before and making it too the stanley cup finals. So basically Kovalchuk has bad leadership qualities or he would be captain by now.

Sky04 12-01-2012 06:20 PM

He gets rated perfectly, your post overrated him greatly.

/thread.

Islanderfan17 12-01-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sky04 (Post 56168687)
He gets rated perfectly, your post overrated him greatly.

/thread.

This

Never really seen anyone underrate Kovy, he gets the recognition he deserves as one of the most dangerous players in the game.

startainfection 12-01-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capitalsrock (Post 56167761)
1.Ovechkin has a better shot than Kovalchuk
2.Datsyuk handles the puck better than Kovalchuk
3.Malkin is smarter than Kovalchuk
4.Kovalchuk is not the best russian
5.I'll give you that, he is a very good player

i would say that kovulchuk's shot is more consistently amazing than ovechkin's

Ginger Jesus 12-01-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by startainfection (Post 56168953)
i would say that kovulchuk's shot is more consistently amazing than ovechkin's

Kovalchuk's shot is better than Ovechkin but it is on par with Semin's

Riddum 12-01-2012 06:53 PM

Kovalchuk is clearly the second best Russian player in the World and a current top 10 player.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.