HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   2013 Draft Rankings (December) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1300305)

Sartorial 12-01-2012 06:07 PM

2013 Draft Rankings (December)

Hey guys, this is my second month of making mock selections for the upcoming draft! For reference here are my November rankings: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1278471
Admittedly, since I haven't seen many of the European players play (outside of a few highlights etc) I relied what's out there on the internet (scouting reports/other rankings etc) to help determine some player's rankings. So, based on that collected knowledge, as well as knowledge (and my interpretation) from watching the North American players more (and WHL live), here are my rankings! Enjoy and feel free to be critical.
In December I ranked the players...

1. Jones
2. MacKinnon
3. Barkov
4. Drouin
5. Lindholm
6. Monahan
7. Pulock
8. Ristolainen
9. Shinkaruk
10. Nichushkin
11. Lazar
12. Morrissey
13. Zadorov
14. Mantha
15. Nurse
16. Burakovsky
17. Hagg
18. Domi
19. Erne
20. Rychel
21. Duclair
22. De la Rose
23. Klimchuck
24. Horvat
25. Compher
26. Theodore
27. Fuchale
28. Zykov
29. Fasching
30. Bjorkstrand

TheJuxtaposer 12-01-2012 07:02 PM

Wow, I actually really, really like your rankings, and it's a rare list that will make me say that. Good job.

I still think Mackinnon goes first, but it's close enough that I won't argue.

PricerStopDaPuck 12-01-2012 07:04 PM

solid rankings of what i have heard and seen big fan of pulock drouin monahan and mackinnon

Vankiller Whale 12-01-2012 07:06 PM

Missing Carrier, other than that solid list.

DuckJet 12-01-2012 07:13 PM

Seriously, Carrier not being ranked in people's top 30's seems troubling to me. What exactly is he doing wrong? Every time I've seen him (2 games and most highlights) he's impressed me.

Also Erne seems a little low.

So much want for Barkov...I'm definitely on the bandwagon right now. I'm praying that we have the good fortune of a top 3 pick. But I sure wouldn't mind a top 10 pick. Hell. Top 15 would be great.

DKQ 12-01-2012 07:23 PM

Another notable omission is Gauthier. To me he has been even more impressive than Carrier. I also think Bjorkstrand isn't a top 30 prospect at this point, maybe top 50 but there are better players for the 1st round

Edit: Just noticed Dickinson is not on the list. He's a top 20 pick IMO

Money Baer 12-01-2012 07:25 PM

I'd probably take out Bjorkstrand and slot Carrier right under Hagg. The kid is almost leading the QMJHL in points. Great list though. Mine would look similar at this point.

DuckJet 12-01-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn (Post 56171875)
Another notable omission is Gauthier. To me he has been even more impressive than Carrier. I also think Bjorkstrand isn't a top 30 prospect at this point, maybe top 50 but there are better players for the 1st round

Edit: Just noticed Dickinson is not on the list. He's a top 20 pick IMO

I keep forgetting Gauthier as well. He's been impressive too.

McTankel 12-01-2012 07:51 PM

Looks great, really hope the Sabres are able to get Erne in the 1st round if were picking around that spot.

ikelechien 12-01-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StrappingYoungChad (Post 56169665)
Hey guys, this is my second month of making mock selections for the upcoming draft! For reference here are my November rankings: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1278471
Admittedly, since I haven't seen many of the European players play (outside of a few highlights etc) I relied what's out there on the internet (scouting reports/other rankings etc) to help determine some player's rankings. So, based on that collected knowledge, as well as knowledge (and my interpretation) from watching the North American players more (and WHL live), here are my rankings! Enjoy and feel free to be critical.
In December I ranked the players...

1. Jones
2. MacKinnon
3. Barkov
4. Drouin
5. Lindholm
6. Monahan
7. Pulock
8. Ristolainen
9. Shinkaruk
10. Nichushkin
11. Lazar
12. Morrissey
13. Zadorov
14. Mantha
15. Nurse
16. Burakovsky
17. Hagg
18. Domi
19. Erne
20. Rychel
21. Duclair
22. De la Rose
23. Klimchuck
24. Horvat
25. Compher
26. Theodore
27. Fuchale
28. Zykov
29. Fasching
30. Bjorkstrand

Actually, this is a pretty good list. Hint for the future: When you add a player outside the norm such as Bjorkstrand, explain your reasoning and you will get a much better reception and be preceived much better even if the reader may disagree with your reasoning.

RJQuack 12-01-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckJet (Post 56171507)
Seriously, Carrier not being ranked in people's top 30's seems troubling to me. What exactly is he doing wrong? Every time I've seen him (2 games and most highlights) he's impressed me.

Could be his physical play or trying to do too much that makes the scouts put him so low... I think he'll still end up in the 1st round.

Sartorial 12-01-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ikelechien (Post 56173321)
Actually, this is a pretty good list. Hint for the future: When you add a player outside the norm such as Bjorkstrand, explain your reasoning and you will get a much better reception and be preceived much better even if the reader may disagree with your reasoning.

Great advice. I'll give it a shot now.

- Bjorkstrand - In my 2 live viewings of I was so impressed him. He's very engaging physically; he has real soft hands with good vision, as well as a great shot for a kid his age and size. I've heard a few people compare him to Erat, and I like that comparison.

- Zykov - My only viewings of him have been the Subway Series and a Friday Night Hockey a while back. He takes the puck hard to net so often, so it's no wonder he's scoring so consistently, considering how much skill he has on top of his drive to score goals.

- Klimchuck - In my two live viewings he's scored 3 goals. Looking at the stat sheets over the last month reveals he has a penchant for scoring VERY timely goals. It's actually remarkable. This shows me that Morgan's a big-game player. (As an aside, he put up 5 points in a 6-5 loss less than 24 hours after I posted my rankings)

HabLover 12-02-2012 12:22 AM

Lazar should be dropping, offensively he isnt there yet this season.

OptimusForever 12-02-2012 01:26 AM

Lehkonen is missing

The Nuge 12-02-2012 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HabLover (Post 56178019)

I agree. With how well some people lower down in the rankings are producing, I'm thinking its going to be hard to justify Lazar

EpicNeilTime 12-02-2012 01:58 AM

Quote:

This.

We know there's the offensive potential, but he hasn't done anything to deserve a top 10 spot.

If I want a defensive dynamo, then I would take one later in the draft, rather then passing on a potential franchise player in the top 10.

Don't see him out of the top 15 though. Too much potential.

Sartorial 12-02-2012 12:37 PM

To all the Lazar comments:

What you get from Lazar is a kid with remarkable speed and a great shot. On top of that he's an absolute beast physically and defensively. I feel as though I'm beating a dead horse by saying this, but he is very Shane Doan esque. Watching him live and noting his attention to detail is so impressive. He's utterly unselfish, and for that matter does not get top line minutes (Edmonton is very good, very deep, and very experienced). I could honestly see an argument for a 7 - 10 selection (and truthfully, in other years, maybe even higher), but because this draft is ridiculously deep, I see him going 8 - 15.

DuckJet 12-02-2012 12:57 PM

^ Any chance you want to address the Carrier omission?
Quote:

Originally Posted by EpicNeilTime (Post 56178745)
This.

We know there's the offensive potential, but he hasn't done anything to deserve a top 10 spot.

If I want a defensive dynamo, then I would take one later in the draft, rather then passing on a potential franchise player in the top 10.

Don't see him out of the top 15 though. Too much potential.

In before I Am the liquor comes in and puts the verbal hulk smash on you two.

BeauKnows19 12-02-2012 07:20 PM

Is there a reason you left out Lehkonen?

Money Baer 12-02-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Lazar read this and responded ;)

2G 1A.

He does everything right out on the ice... the numbers haven't been there yet, but they will come. He has amazing offensive abilities. Can't wait to see this kid prove people wrong.

Beleafer4 12-02-2012 09:49 PM

There is a few things I very much disagree on in this list, but overall it is probably the one I like the most out of all the lists out there.

Sartorial 12-02-2012 10:04 PM

Lehkonen and Carrier:

I unfortunately don't get to watch any European or QMJHL hockey, so with players from these leagues, I rely and lean heavily on what other up to date scouting reports/scouts lists say when I make new rankings. So, if I notice that a player falls from many lists over the period of a month, or never made the list in the first place, it'll likely be reflected on my current list.

I wish I got paid to go all over and watch hockey, but for now WHL, Friday Night Hockey on Sportsnet, and other events (Subway Series etc) will have to do. The rest is taken by faith in the other scouting services etc

Skip Bayless 12-03-2012 09:08 PM

I'm curious about where most of you have Nicholas Petan ranked. Do his numbers thus far not tell the whole story about his game?

Frozenice 12-03-2012 09:21 PM

I think come draft day Dickinson will end up being drafted ahead of Domi or Rychel but I like the overall structure of your list.

Scarecrow Boat 12-03-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckJet (Post 56171507)

Also Erne seems a little low.

So much want for Barkov...I'm definitely on the bandwagon right now. I'm praying that we have the good fortune of a top 3 pick. But I sure wouldn't mind a top 10 pick. Hell. Top 15 would be great.

How did you see Carrier playing well from Las Vegas? Any national stage he's left me severally disappointed and in the last 6-8 games he's been shutout lol

Hopefully the coaching change in CB helps him out