HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Seguin vs Hall: Individual attributes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1300477)

The Perfect Human* 12-02-2012 11:02 AM

Seguin vs Hall: Individual attributes

This thread is a bit too complicated for a poll, but I was looking to see which of these 2 players you thought was better at each of these individual skills/aspects of the game:

Skating
Shooting
Passing
Defense
Leadership
Offensive Instincts
Physicality
Durability
Grit

Overall Offense:
Overall Defense:

Better Player Now:
Better Player Later:

I didn't really put one up for "intangibles" - because I don't really know how to describe it. Sorry if this is the wrong board for this - just couldn't figure out a way to justify this in the Polls section

Richard F Schiller 12-02-2012 11:12 AM

Skating: Hall
Shooting: Seguin
Passing: Seguin
Defense: Seguin
Leadership: Hall
Offensive Instincts: Hall
Physicality: Hall
Durability: Seguin
Grit: Hall

Overall Offense:Hall
Overall Defense: Seguin

Better Player Now:Hall
Better Player Later: Seguin

DKQ 12-02-2012 11:29 AM

Skating: Hall for pure straight forward speed, Seguin is a more well-rounded skater I think and is also quite fast. Giving to Hall
Shooting: Hall. Not close.
Passing: Seguin. Also not close.
Defense: Neither is good, Seguin has improved and has Bergeron as a linemate so he won't be as noticible a liability, so him.
Leadership: Hall. Seguin is less mature at the moment, which may change.
Offensive Instincts: Seguin. Hall may end up generating more offense, but it will be by using purely himself, Seguin has the better instincts for whether to pass, shoot or deke
Physicality: Hall. Not close.
Durability: Seguin (I'm surprised an Oilers fan actually put this as an option)
Grit: Hall. Very similar to physicality, not sure it needed another category.

Overall Offense: Seguin by a hair. Hall may end up being more productive, but Seguin will have a better balance of goals to assists and shouldn't be far off Hall's totals
Overall Defense: Neither will run a PK unit, but Seguin for reasons already explained

Better Player Now: Seguin (please don't bring up Hall's GPG...we know)
Better Player Later: Toss-up. If Hall manages to put together a few full seasons of development I could see him being better, if Seguin continues his exponential growth he could be better. I'd say Hall's max potential to me would be a 55-40-95 season while Seguins would be a 40-65-105 season. Whether either player ever actually puts up numbers like that is something we'll just have to find out.

BLASPHEMOUS 12-02-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn (Post 56181997)
Skating: Hall for pure straight forward speed, Seguin is a more well-rounded skater I think and is also quite fast. Giving to Hall
Defense: Neither is good, Seguin has improved and has Bergeron as a linemate so he won't be as noticible a liability, so him.
Offensive Instincts: Seguin. Hall may end up generating more offense, but it will be by using purely himself, Seguin has the better instincts for whether to pass, shoot or deke

Overall Offense: Seguin by a hair. Hall may end up being more productive, but Seguin will have a better balance of goals to assists and shouldn't be far off Hall's totals
Overall Defense: Neither will run a PK unit, but Seguin for reasons already explained

Better Player Later: Toss-up. If Hall manages to put together a few full seasons of development I could see him being better, if Seguin continues his exponential growth he could be better. I'd say Hall's max potential to me would be a 55-40-95 season while Seguins would be a 40-65-105 season. Whether either player ever actually puts up numbers like that is something we'll just have to find out.

Just a quick question: when you talk about shooting, are you inferring to the shot itself, or do you take other factors into account? If it's the former, then I'm not sure how you can say it's not close, Seguin's shot selection is pretty ferocious.

Skating: Hall has better top speed, Seguin has better agility and balance. Toss up.
Defense: Equal
Leadership: Hall is an emotional leader for Edmonton already. Hall.
Offensive Instincts: Seguin
Physicality: Hall, not close.

Overall Offense and Defense: I think the two players are tied in both accounts at the moment. Hall is more puck heavy, controlling the play through it, while Seguin can do a lot with less puck time.

Future: Seguin's skill set intrigues me. I think he's still very raw and has more potential to come. Whether he achieves this is up in the air.

Richard F Schiller 12-02-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn (Post 56181997)

Pretty good overall assessment, but how the heck is Hall a much better shooter than Seguin to the point where it's not even close?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwWF_g2JS6s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x02GcZvxR3A

InjuredChoker 12-02-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endersoldier (Post 56182221)
Just a quick question: when you talk about shooting, are you inferring to the shot itself, or do you take other factors into account? If it's the former, then I'm not sure how you can say it's not close, Seguin's shot selection is pretty ferocious.

Skating: Hall has better top speed, Seguin has better agility and balance. Toss up.
Leadership: Hall is an emotional leader for Edmonton already. Hall.
Physicality: Hall, not close.

Overall Offense and Defense: I think the two players are tied in both accounts at the moment. Hall is more puck heavy, controlling the play through it, while Seguin can do a lot with less puck time.

Future: Seguin's skill set intrigues me. I think he's still very raw and has more potential to come. Whether he achieves this is up in the air.

I'd agree with this. Maybe give the edge to Hall on skating.

Loffer 12-02-2012 11:52 AM

Skating: even

better: seguin

Groucho 12-02-2012 11:53 AM

Shooting: Hall
Passing: Seguin but Hall's passing game is nothing to scoff at
Defense: Seguin but playing on Bergeron's wing
Leadership: Hall back to back Memorial Cup MVP
Durability: Who's to say - many will point to Hall being injury prone but he was playing with a bum shoulder since Jr. He just shattered Brodin's collarbone so I'm thinking he's probably ok.

Overall Offense: Hall

Better Player Now: Hall
Better Player Later: Hall

Zdeno33Lucic 12-02-2012 12:33 PM

Seguin 23 goals in 21 games in the top swiss league, he is tearing it up ... I think seguin is better now and in futur

FreeBird 12-02-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dougie27Seguin19 (Post 56183157)
Seguin 23 goals in 21 games in the top swiss league, he is tearing it up ... I think seguin is better now and in futur

Clearly Seguin has become the clear winner of his Draft class.

spOiler 12-02-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dougie27Seguin19 (Post 56183157)

Thats the same league that Omark has 37 points in 25 games...obviously its a tough league to get points in:sarcasm:

stlblues9 12-02-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 56182401)
Passing: Seguin but Hall's passing game is nothing to scoff at
Defense: Seguin but playing on Bergeron's wing
Leadership: Hall back to back Memorial Cup MVP
Durability: Who's to say - many will point to Hall being injury prone but he was playing with a bum shoulder since Jr. He just shattered Brodin's collarbone so I'm thinking he's probably ok.

The fact that he had a bum shoulder at all makes him less durable..

Tralfamadore 12-02-2012 12:54 PM

Skating: Seguin (better overall skater)

Better Player Now: Seguin

MessierII 12-02-2012 12:56 PM

Skating: Hall world class top speed top 3 fastest skaters in the league.
Shooting: Hall with a slight edge his wrister is a rocket and it's pretty clear in his goal totals.
Passing: Seguin, definitely a more creative playmaker.
Defense: Wash. Seguin is the easy choice here but if you look beyond boxcar stats it tells the real story.
Leadership: Hall no question he'll be captain within 2 years. Plays every shift like its game 7 overtime.
Offensive instincts: Seguin, thinks the game on a higher level than Hall no question.
Physicality: Hall no real need to explain here.
Durability: Seguin, Halls style leads to injuries although its grossly exaggerated on HF by people who look at GP without having any idea how he got hurt.
Grit: Hall again no real need to explain.

Overall offense: Hall
Overall defense: Wash

Better player now: Hall
Better player later: Hall

Loffer 12-02-2012 12:56 PM

it all boils down to one category: which one has the better "hockey sense" - that one is the better player. and it seems to be seguin.

PatriceBergeronFan 12-02-2012 12:57 PM

Skating: Draw
Shooting: Seguin (doesn't necessarily mean I think he will score more than Hall)

Overall Offense: Seguin

Better Player Now: Draw

Darth Yoda 12-02-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loffer (Post 56183737)
it all boils down to one category: which one has the better "hockey sense" - that one is the better player. and it seems to be seguin.

I dont know if you mean that's what basically matters for a player or if they're so close in all other aspects that hockey sence gets the tie-breaker?

To me it seems Hall has gotten quite a bit done with a bum shoulder and a lot of missed games.

MastuhNinks 12-02-2012 01:09 PM

sid49 12-02-2012 01:31 PM

Hall has one of the most electrifying skating abilities in the league. Opens up the ice for the team when hes on. Anyone who thinks Seguin is a superior skater is a homer or a Hall hater.

SephF 12-02-2012 01:34 PM

Skating : Taylor Hall
Shooting : Hall has better velocity but Seguin has a better overall shot
Passing : Seguin
Defense : Seguin
Leadership : Hall
Offensive Instincts : Hall
Physicality : Hall
Durability : Seguin
Grit : Hall

Overall Offense: Honestly you could vote either way. I say tie.

People might think it's a little weird to give Seguin so many of the categories but still vote Hall as the better player. To me it's because of his presence, it's crazy how much space Hall can open up for his teammates with his speed and ability to draw defenders. The Oilers performance is night and day when Hall is in the lineup.

As soon as he showed up in OKC all the kids started to play way better... He brings a much needed element.

Clode 12-02-2012 01:42 PM

its these kinds of threads where the opinions of oilers fans and bruins fans are invalid because obviously every oilers fan is going to say hall is better and every bruins fan is going to say seguin is better

Pajicz 12-02-2012 01:50 PM

VeteranNetPresence 12-02-2012 02:32 PM

Skating Hall
Shooting Seguin
Passing Seguin
Defense Seguin
Leadership Hall
Offensive Instincts Seguin
Physicality Hall
Durability Seguin
Grit Hall

Overall Offense: Seguin

Better Player Now: Seguin

frag2 12-02-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clode (Post 56184679)
its these kinds of threads where the opinions of oilers fans and bruins fans are invalid because obviously every oilers fan is going to say hall is better and every bruins fan is going to say seguin is better

Same can be said of divisional rivals commenting on said players:laugh:

KidLine93 12-02-2012 03:07 PM

Skating Hall
Shooting Hall
Passing Seguin
Defense Seguin
Leadership Hall
Offensive Instincts Hall
Physicality Hall
Durability Seguin
Grit Hall