HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   International Tournaments (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   WJC: WJC who can beat Canada? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1300517)

flames12 12-02-2012 01:40 PM

WJC who can beat Canada?
 
This is the best team in years. I'm just wondering if anyone can dance with this team. I know Canada has had problems in net in the past, but the forwards and defence are out of this world. I'm just wondering if any team is a real threat?

Huberdeau-Nuge-Schiefele
Hudon-Strome-Mackinnon
Monahan-Jenner-Rattie
Wilson-Danault-Ritchie
Puempel

Hamilton-Reilly
Ouelette-Harrington
Murphy-Reinhart
Dumba

Alberta tough 12-02-2012 02:02 PM

Any of the top Countries could beat us.

Muuri 12-02-2012 02:05 PM

No one. Lets cancel the tournament.

flames12 12-02-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberta tough (Post 56185263)
Any of the top Countries could beat us.

Such as?

Alberta tough 12-02-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flames12 (Post 56185409)
Such as?

Well I would say Sweden, Russia, Finland, and the USA could.

vippe 12-02-2012 02:14 PM

It's a single elimination tournament. So the usual suspects obviously got a chance of beating Canada. That said they are the favorites and anything else than a canadian win would be an upset.

Fulcrum 12-02-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flames12 (Post 56184635)
This is the best team in years. I'm just wondering if anyone can dance with this team. I know Canada has had problems in net in the past, but the forwards and defence are out of this world. I'm just wondering if any team is a real threat?

Huberdeau-Nuge-Schiefele
Hudon-Strome-Mackinnon
Monahan-Jenner-Rattie
Wilson-Danault-Ritchie
Puempel

Hamilton-Reilly
Ouelette-Harrington
Murphy-Reinhart
Dumba

If this post is not an example of arrogance, I'm not sure what is. Apart from RNH, this isn't too wildly different from the team that lost two games in August SS. Missing Murray too

TonsofPuppies* 12-02-2012 03:00 PM

People will be bookmarking this thread and returning to it in the event that Canada doesn't win the WJC. Never start threads like this. Yes, the NHL lockout will help us out, but this isn't going to be anything like the 2005 team. They'll be good, but any one of the top countries (Russia, USA, Sweden, Finland, hell even the Swiss) have a decent shot at beating us.

YARR123 12-02-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fulcrum
If this post is not an example of arrogance, I'm not sure what is. Apart from RNH, this isn't too wildly different from the team that lost two games in August SS. Missing Murray too

I have to agree. It's a great team but not any more special than most years.

USA, Russia and Sweden will definately have a good chance. Also Finland, Czech Rep, and even Switzerland might have a shot when it's a one game elimination tournament. There are so many variables that come together in winning or losing a game that anything can happen. Added to the fact that Canada hasn't won the tournament 3 years in a row suggests that these "does anyone have a chance against Canada" questions are ridiculous.

PaulieVegas 12-02-2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muuri (Post 56185375)
No one. Lets cancel the tournament.

Exactly. While we're cancelling the tournament, let's all bow down and sing "O Canada" in unison.

This topic is typical Canadian hockey arrogance.

wings5 12-02-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulieVegas (Post 56192923)
Exactly. While we're cancelling the tournament, let's all bow down and sing "O Canada" in unison.

This topic is typical Canadian hockey arrogance.

Since an american got caught for stealing all Americans are idiots I guess..I hate comments like this don't label a nation for one persons stupid words.

Statsy 12-02-2012 07:54 PM

Can someone just delete this thread? This topic is completely useless and does nothing more than make Canadians look arrogant, the OP look like a jerk, and alienate fans of every other country.

LEAFANFORLIFE23 12-03-2012 03:41 AM

this is the best team we have had in a long time and I do see us as the undisputed favorite to win. That being said and I want to make this VERY clear if we lose PLEASE don't start threads about whatever country wins being the top hockey nation because this tournament is by no means the big one.

Botta 12-03-2012 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vippe (Post 56185619)
It's a single elimination tournament. So the usual suspects obviously got a chance of beating Canada. That said they are the favorites and anything else than a canadian win would be an upset.

Why? I am sure Sweden,Russia and the U.S. will give them a good fight

Huffman 12-03-2012 07:12 AM

The Canadian team does not look THAT strong considering there is a lockout. The last two drafts has been pretty thin on high end Canadian forwards, Huberdeau and RNH are exceptions, Scheifele and Strome are also good players but they have never been that impressive the few times I've watched them. Mackinnon is a sexy name but he is very young still. The D looks great though. SWE,RUS,USA and FIN can definitely beat this team.

BLASPHEMOUS 12-03-2012 07:36 AM

Canada is perhaps the favorite this year, but they are very beatable. On paper, goaltending should be good to go with Subban (first time in awhile), and the offense will have gamebreakers that they lacked the last two seasons.

The defense will probably be built around moving the puck quickly, but Murray's absence does create a hole. It will be up to Ouellet and Harrington to bring overall stability, and I would not be surprised if Hamilton will be asked to focus more on defense if he's paired with Rielly.

Two teams that scare me: Russia due to their ability to bury chances, and USA because of their balance.

Urgi 12-03-2012 08:02 AM

Sweden as a underdog.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-UzSj3g8T0p.../excellent.jpg

SoundAndFury 12-03-2012 08:15 AM

I doubt Canadians will be all that impressive on the big ice. Canada usually looks awful in the WC despite all the talent they have and I expect more of the same in WJC. Obviously that won't be a problem against most of the teams but I will be quite surprised if Canada wins gold.

BLASPHEMOUS 12-03-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundAndFury (Post 56205257)
I doubt Canadians will be all that impressive on the big ice. Canada usually looks awful in the WC despite all the talent they have and I expect more of the same in WJC. Obviously that won't be a problem against most of the teams but I will be quite surprised if Canada wins gold.

I do hope Canada focuses on bringing a fast team, they need quickness to keep up on big ice. MacKinnon should thrive, while Nugent-Hopkins will have tons of space to work his passing abilities. Thankfully, the defense, on paper, will be very mobile. I do not want them taking on guys who were built for the smaller ice on the back end.

Mr Writer 12-03-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundAndFury (Post 56205257)
I doubt Canadians will be all that impressive on the big ice. Canada usually looks awful in the WC despite all the talent they have and I expect more of the same in WJC. Obviously that won't be a problem against most of the teams but I will be quite surprised if Canada wins gold.

The size of the ice has nothing to do with it... as it was pointed out already several times, over the past decade Canada has won more gold on big European ice than any of the European teams. If Canada loses, it will not be because of the size of the ice, it will be just the fact that the other team(s) were better.

Yakushev72 12-03-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 (Post 56203949)
this is the best team we have had in a long time and I do see us as the undisputed favorite to win. That being said and I want to make this VERY clear if we lose PLEASE don't start threads about whatever country wins being the top hockey nation because this tournament is by no means the big one.

This is a best on best tournament, so whoever wins has earned the right to call itself the best junior hockey nation in the World. These are the rules that have been carefully laid out in 100 million Canadian posts, so don't back away from it now. Canada clearly is a heavy favorite to win, but if they should somehow lose, they should graciously accept 2nd, 3rd, or 4th place, whichever the case may be. The title "No. 1" will last until the next season-ending NHL lockout, which should be in about 5 years.

tourlord* 12-03-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muuri (Post 56185375)
No one. Lets cancel the tournament.

:laugh:

Sartorial 12-03-2012 01:28 PM

I think Russia has a great shot at winning the whole thing. With Slepyshev in the line up now, their top 6 is frightening.

therealdeal 12-03-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundAndFury (Post 56205257)
I doubt Canadians will be all that impressive on the big ice. Canada usually looks awful in the WC despite all the talent they have and I expect more of the same in WJC. Obviously that won't be a problem against most of the teams but I will be quite surprised if Canada wins gold.

Canada certainly does have a problem playing on the bigger ice. IMO this is a scouting and coaching and practice issue. It'll be interesting to see if Brass comes in prepared or if they use the same old tired strategy that has failed us in the WC for 3 years (though I will say sometimes you just get bad luck).

As far as teams that can beat Canada? Russia, Sweden, US, Finland are always gamers, and the Swiss have our number. Also the Czechs and Slovaks are always up to play. We can be beaten by any team in the tournament.

InfinityIggy 12-03-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flames12 (Post 56184635)
This is the best team in years. I'm just wondering if anyone can dance with this team. I know Canada has had problems in net in the past, but the forwards and defence are out of this world. I'm just wondering if any team is a real threat?

Huberdeau-Nuge-Schiefele
Hudon-Strome-Mackinnon
Monahan-Jenner-Rattie
Wilson-Danault-Ritchie
Puempel

Hamilton-Reilly
Ouelette-Harrington
Murphy-Reinhart
Dumba

This guy:

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/sports/...-mark-8col.jpg

Just look at all that swagger.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.