HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Calgary Flames (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   National Dream Teams (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1300555)

FLAMESFAN 12-02-2012 03:49 PM

National Dream Teams

OK, since the All Time Flames best players poll has stalled, and there is no hockey to talk about, I started thinking about all the American players we have had play for us. I was actually able to put together a pretty good American squad made up of soley ex Flame players or draft picks. So I started to look at the other teams (yes, I was bored....). I know I'm missing some players, and I'm short a few players here and there on different rosters so feel free to add.
Here is what I came up with:

Team USA
Drury/Conroy/Mullen
McInnis /Moss/Hull
Nystrom /Otto/ Chris Clark
Ranheim/ Stempniak/Amonte
Suter, Housley, Leopold, O’Sullivan, David Hale
B. Boucher, C. Anderson, P. Sauve

Team Sweden
Nilsson - Nylander - Loob
Huselius - Mattsson - Hoglund
Sjostrom - Backlund - Nilson
Forslund - Bjorklund - Sundblad

Albelin - Johansson
Stralman - Kronwall
Erixon - Frogen

Karlsson

Team Finland
Jokinen, Neminen, Hagman, Granlund, Viitakoski, Hentunen, Seitsonen, Maki, V. Hamalainen
Lydman, Eloranta, Helenius, J. Marttinen,
Kipper, Toskala

Team Russia
Makarov, Bure, Varlamov , Titov, Nazarov, Saprykin, Krivokrasov, Torgayev, Priakin, V. Bobrov, Taratukin, Trubachev, Zyuzin
Kravchuk, Babchuck, Godynuk, Rozakov, Demidov, Ryabkin,
Trefilov, Medvedev

Team Czech/Slovak
Reichel, Hrdina, Kotalik, Horak, Cervenka, Petrovicky, R. Dome, J. Cetkovsky, Duda
Musil, Hamrlik, D. Hajek, Petr Buzek, R. Svelha
Turek

FLAMESFAN 12-02-2012 03:51 PM

Some of those names will bring back some memories for us older fans (good & bad!) :laugh:

Skobel24 12-03-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN (Post 56189025)
OK, since the All Time Flames best players poll has stalled, and there is no hockey to talk about, I started thinking about all the American players we have had play for us. I was actually able to put together a pretty good American squad made up of soley ex Flame players or draft picks. So I started to look at the other teams (yes, I was bored....). I know I'm missing some players, and I'm short a few players here and there on different rosters so feel free to add.
Here is what I came up with:

Team USA
Drury/Conroy/Mullen
McInnis /Moss/Hull
Nystrom /Otto/ Chris Clark
Ranheim/ Stempniak/Amonte
Suter, Housley, Leopold, O’Sullivan, David Hale
B. Boucher, C. Anderson, P. Sauve

Team Sweden
Loob, Nilsson, Backlund, Huselius, Nylander, T. Forslund, N. Sunblad, J. Hoglund, M. Nilson, J. Mattsson
Albelin, R. Johansson, Sjostrom, Kronwall, Frogren
Karlsson

Team Finland
Jokinen, Neminen, Hagman, Granlund, Viitakoski, Hentunen, Seitsonen, Maki, V. Hamalainen
Lydman, Eloranta, Helenius, J. Marttinen,
Kipper, Toskala

Team Russia
Makarov, Bure, Varlamov , Saprykin, Torgayev, Priakin, Titov, Nazarov, V. Bobrov, Taratukin, Trubachev
Kravchuk, Babchuck, Godynuk, Rozakov, Demidov, Ryabkin,
Trefilov, Medvedev

Team Czech/Slovak
Reichel, Hrdina, Horak, Petrovicky, R. Dome, Kotalik, J. Cetkovsky, Duda
Musil, Hamrlik, D. Hajek, R. Svelha
Turek

The bolded... why did you have to remind me of them?

F l a m e s 12-03-2012 09:55 AM

Canada would be interesting:

top line would be sick- St.Louis - Joe Nieuwendyk - Jarome Iginla

FLAMESFAN 12-03-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skobel24 (Post 56205833)
The bolded... why did you have to remind me of them?

Ya, we never had much luck with our Russian experiments.

WhereIsIt 12-03-2012 04:30 PM

Oleg Saprykin, haha... will always remember that goal in Game 5 though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkJjibyX89U

He was my favorite player of all-time for those 20 seconds or so :laugh:

Stewie Griffin 12-03-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN (Post 56213451)
Ya, we never had much luck with our Russian experiments.

That Makarov guy worked out pretty good for a 12th round draft pick...

YMCMBYOLO 12-04-2012 02:40 PM

Cervenka would be on the Cvech National team.

Guido Sarducci 12-05-2012 06:55 AM

Nice work FLAMESFAN. Maybe those should be the rosters for the next 3on3 alumni tournament.

Team Indonesia- Ritchie Regehr
Team Brazil - Robyn Regehr
Team Ireland - Owen Nolan
Team Nigeria - Akim Aliu

You could add Krivokrasov and Zyuzin to Russia and Petr Buzek to Czech.

FLAMESFAN 12-05-2012 08:25 AM

Thanks for the additions. Now that the teams are rounding out, what order to you see them in?
I think the Americans are hands down the best.
Sweden has great talent up front, the Finns counter that with Kipper in net. Russia has depth, but I think the Czech/Slovak team might be the worst.

Guido Sarducci 12-05-2012 02:20 PM

Ya, USA is the best. Strength down the middle with Conroy and Otto, two HHOFers in Mullen and Hull on the wing and two borderline HHOFers in Housley and Suter on the back end.

After that it's pretty tight. Every nation has their strengths and weaknesses.

Sweden has the best top line. Nilsson---Nylander--Loooooob

Finland has the best goalie, and don't forget Pekka Rautakallio. He was a 1982 All star.

Russia has perhaps the most talented player in Makarov and are the only team with a true enforcer.(Nazarov) Goaltending is a weakness but in a short tournament a guy could get hot.

I think Czech is under rated. Robert Riechel plays like Gretzky when he is wearing a Czech Jersey (remember the 98 olympics), I think Turek is the second best goalie and did you know that Robert Lang went to Flames training camp on a PTO? Al Coates signed Sasha Lakovic instead.

I'm not even gonna try to rate them. I wanna see it in real life. If the Flames ever do another 3on3 alumni pond hockey tournament I an gonna push hard that they use this format.

Team Canada would be the Active alumni members that you always see at those sort of things.

Patterson, Peplinski, Lanny, Fleury, Berezan, Vernon etc.

FLAMESFAN 12-05-2012 02:55 PM

Do you remember when Nazarov/Savard/Iggy were all a line? There were times they were outright dominant. Too bad Nazarov was so inconsistent.
Good point about Reichel, not only at the olympics, but at the WJC's as well he kicked butt. I think that they may have the second best goalie on that list in Turek (dispite all the flack he used to get, he was still a good goalie), but just no depth. I'd like to put Lang there, but I don't know if just being invited to camp would qualify. But Lakovic over Lang? ouch.

Guido Sarducci 12-05-2012 03:00 PM

Ya, Iggy was player of the Month, it was the first time he showed signs of being a star in the NHL. Must have been 98ish? The SIN line.

TheFatOne 12-07-2012 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN (Post 56189079)
Some of those names will bring back some memories for us older fans (good & bad!) :laugh:

He was awesome first two years with Flames. Then Morrow and Ruutu injured his knee and elbow and he was never the same.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=728

TheFatOne 12-07-2012 06:03 AM

Nilsson - Nylander - Loob
Huselius - Mattsson - Hoglund
Sjostrom - Backlund - Nilson
Forslund - Bjorklund - Sundblad

Albelin - Johansson
Stralman - Kronwall
Frogren - Erixon

Karlsson

Guido Sarducci 12-13-2012 07:19 PM

Jason Muzzatti played for the Italian team in the 2006 olympics and there was rumours that Todd Bertuzzi would play for the Italians if he was cut from team Canada. Also Lombardi and Cammalari are very Italian sounding names.

DevilsAnimal* 12-15-2012 06:55 PM

Well the swiss team is stacked everywhere with Baertschi, Baertschi, and a young and coming Baertschi coming into his own