HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The History of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Wayne Gretzky & Mario Lemieux face-off goals.... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1300953)

tazzy19 12-03-2012 04:34 PM

Wayne Gretzky & Mario Lemieux face-off goals....

Finally found the Gretzky face-off goal. Apparently he scored two during another game against Hartford, as well as one off Mike Liut's back from behind the net. If anyone has video of that, please post it! And please post any other tricky goals you have from these two...

Gretzky (at 7:28):

Lemieux:

Czech Your Math 12-03-2012 05:49 PM

What's incredible about Lemieux's face off goal (at least one of them... not sure if there were others) is this: Local sports radio/writer Mark Madden told him on his radio show that he would donate $6,600 to Lemieux's charity if he scored a goal on the faceoff. So Lemieux went and did just that, the same night. That was the wonder of Lemieux, he could often just do whatever he wanted, like he was playing a video game with the codes hacked.

tarheelhockey 12-03-2012 06:09 PM

Side note, but I had a beer league teammate take a faceoff shot on 4 or 5 draws in a row. None of 'em went in, but it had all of us laughing and the other center red in the face.

gifted88 12-03-2012 06:57 PM

Chris Gratton was no slouch at face-offs either.

iamjs 12-03-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Czech Your Math (Post 56216137)
What's incredible about Lemieux's face off goal (at least one of them... not sure if there were others) is this: Local sports radio/writer Mark Madden told him on his radio show that he would donate $6,600 to Lemieux's charity if he scored a goal on the faceoff. So Lemieux went and did just that, the same night. That was the wonder of Lemieux, he could often just do whatever he wanted, like he was playing a video game with the codes hacked.

I didn't think it was the same night. I thought I heard that he tried it the game before and either hit post or crossbar. I'll see if I can find the article on it.

iamjs 12-03-2012 07:26 PM

Found it. Actually he tried it quite a few times, but the game before he did hit the pipe.

Quote:

The shout was loud enough to be heard across the Penguins' locker room.

"Where's my money?"

Then once more ...

"Hey, where's my money?"

Mario Lemieux sets up Alexei Kovalev for one of the Penguins' four third-period goals. (Annie O'Neill, Post-Gazette)
Mario Lemieux wanted a piece of WEAE-AM talk-show host Mark Madden from the moment he scored the decisive goal in the 5-2 victory against the Buffalo Sabres last night at Mellon Arena.

The tale began two years ago, when Lemieux heard Madden taking jabs at him on the air for repeatedly trying to score directly off faceoffs, something which almost never occurs in the NHL.

"He was still trying it all the time, so I made fun of it and told him it was the one thing he can't do," Madden recalled. "So, he told me after a game, 'You don't think I can do it, huh?' I told him, 'I'll bet you 66 bucks.' He said, 'That's kind of cheap. How about $6,600?' I told him OK, that I'd give his charity that much if he could score off a draw."

Flash forward to the third period last night.

The Penguins were tied with the last-place Sabres, 2-2, and looking very much a threat to squander two points they desperately need. Lemieux lined up in the right circle of the Buffalo zone against Chris Gratton. Lemieux had lost all eight of his faceoffs through two periods, and Gratton is one of the league's best on the draw.

Lemieux thought about shooting because Gratton is left-handed.

"For some reason, it's easier for me against a lefty," he said. "Against a righty, it's tough because of the position of the stick."

Linesman Derek Amell dropped the puck, and Lemieux whacked it forward just as it hit the ice. It zipped between Gratton's legs, nicked off the skate of defenseman Alexei Zhitnik and bounced between the legs of goaltender Mika Noronen.

Lemieux, never having budged from the dot, raised both arms and turned to grin in the direction of the press box, where he knew Madden was watching.

"Yeah, that was for you," he said afterward, still grinning.

His teammates were stunned.

"Never seen anything like that," goaltender Johan Hedberg said.

"He's amazing," rookie left winger Michal Sivek said. "How can you do that?"

Buffalo Coach Lindy Ruff might have summed it up best: "I think it was a bit of Mario magic."

Lemieux had tried the shot again and again in his career, but with no success. The closest he came might have been Saturday, in the 2-0 shutout of the Calgary Flames, but the puck clanged off the right pipe behind goaltender Roman Turek. After the game, Lemieux feigned a heart attack to tease Madden in guessing what reaction he might have had in the press box.

Last night, he didn't have to guess.

"It took me a few years, and I've tried it a lot," Lemieux said. "It's tough to do. You need a good bounce or a good shot on net. I got a good bounce on that one, so it's going to cost my friend over there a few bucks."
http://old.post-gazette.com/penguins...side1224p5.asp

I wish there was video of 66 doing the heart-attack gesture to Madden.

Czech Your Math 12-03-2012 07:41 PM

"Earlier that day, local radio host Mark Madden had been criticizing Lemieux—blasphemy!—for occasionally attempting to score a goal directly off of a faceoff. Madden had a decent point, since it’s nearly impossible to do such a thing. So he says on the radio that he will donate $6,600 to Lemieux’s foundation if Number 66 can do the impossible."

http://brokencigars.com/2011/11/the-...-of-the-igloo/

Noob616 12-03-2012 07:49 PM

Michael Michael motorcycle!

fish7 12-04-2012 06:18 PM

Garry Unger used to score like this for the Blues in the early and mid 70s. A local sporting goods company made a poster showing him score from a faceoff. There was a story in Hockey Digest in 1983 where Gretzky talks about seeing Unger score like this while he was with the Oilers. According to Gretzky, he had Unger show him how to do it at practice

Scott1980 12-07-2012 06:59 PM

Gretzky scored one against Richter in 95/96. Don't know about the exact game.

You know, Gretzky could pretty much do whatever he wanted, like get two assists a game for an entire season!