HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   NHL Lockout Thread XI: Believe with Steve! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1301071)

Scoogs 12-03-2012 09:17 PM

NHL Lockout Thread XI: Believe with Steve!

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/12/0...g-nhl-lockout/

Quote:

BOSTON (CBS) – The NHL lockout has been going on for 79 days and on Tuesday, a select group of owners and players are scheduled to meet in New York.

Sources tell WBZ-TV’s Steve Burton that an unannounced meeting was held Monday with a high-ranking official from each side, and significant progress was made toward salvaging the hockey season. It’s possible an announcement could come as soon as tomorrow or Wednesday.

Burton spoke with Bruins forward Milan Lucic at Joe Andruzzi’s foundation dinner, and he’s very excited about the possibility of getting back to work.

“You know if your sources are correct obviously it’s great news,” says Lucic. “It’s great for the fans I think especially. I know they’ve been probably going through the most heartache than anyone.”

Lucic says he was optimistic that the season would be salvaged and that played a big role in his decision not to go to Europe. He admits that it will take him a little longer to get into shape than those who are playing right now.

“You’re not in game shape if you’re not playing games,” Lucic said smiling. “It might take me a little bit to get back into game shape but you know I’m confident in myself that I’m going to be able to get back and I know guys in Europe that I’ve talked to, that they would like nothing more than to come back here and play in the league that they want to play in most and that’s the NHL.”

John McClane 12-03-2012 09:21 PM

Oh how I wish this was true. I miss hockey.

JAX 12-03-2012 09:21 PM

I find it hard to believe, I've always stated Fehr will not let a deal to be done before January at least. I hope I'm wrong.

Scoogs 12-03-2012 09:22 PM

I'm not necessarily holding my breath for this "announcement" tomorrow or Wednesday... More like perhaps by the weekend we'll all know something

Timmy 12-03-2012 09:23 PM

Despite what many say on here regarding boycotts etc, it would be absolutely huge, revenue-wise, to get this thing done before Christmas shopping begins in earnest.

rdawg1234 12-03-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAX (Post 56223329)
I find it hard to believe, I've always stated Fehr will not let a deal to be done before January at least. I hope I'm wrong.

With 700 different voices, it's very possible many of them want this done sooner rather than later and are willing to give up a little more.

Still this is a huge mystery, even saying it on a news cast is putting alot of your credibility on the line.

NJDevs26 12-03-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timmy (Post 56223373)
Despite what many say on here regarding boycotts etc, it would be absolutely huge, revenue-wise, to get this thing done before Christmas shopping begins in earnest.

It would be logical, and the timing of this report by Burton would certainly fit with that timeline...but we're talking about the NHL and NHLPA, two of the most illogical groups of people in North America.

It wouldn't shock me if it was announced on the weekend, so that they don't have to admit the report was true - and they can make it out like this summit meeting had a role in coming to a settlement.

Jopsey 12-03-2012 09:32 PM

I don't know what to think of this...

IBleedUnionBlue 12-03-2012 09:34 PM

This Boston station needs only to contact their owner Jeremy Jacobs to find out how false their source was.

rdawg1234 12-03-2012 09:39 PM

No dreger, mckenzie etc. response yet?

Mattiboy13 12-03-2012 09:40 PM

at least we finally have some "buzz" again here...

albator71 12-03-2012 09:40 PM

And he did say "sources" so we can imply that it's more than one people who told him this?

yacapsle 12-03-2012 09:40 PM

I can't imagine why Burton would go on the air repeatedly with this story, or why the producers at the station would allow him to, if they didn't collectively feel that there was something worth reporting. Nobody will listen to him again if he's wrong.

That said, we're 79 days into the lockout. Rationality likely went out the window a while ago.

HH 12-03-2012 09:41 PM

No one on either side will confirm anything until an announcement is made. Remember when the Globe and Mail broke the Thrashers move to Winnipeg 11 days early? Everyone denied like crazy.

OGBobbyFarnham 12-03-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdawg1234 (Post 56223913)
No dreger, mckenzie etc. response yet?

I imagine they are digging and not getting any answers. Doubtful they shoot down Burton's report either cuz he's not exactly unreliable.

April Ethereal 12-03-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yacapsle (Post 56223967)
I can't imagine why Burton would go on the air repeatedly with this story, or why the producers at the station would allow him to, if they didn't collectively feel that there was something worth reporting. Nobody will listen to him again if he's wrong.

This.

There has to be something (no matter how minor) to this if both Burton and the station are willing to put their balls to the fire with this report.

Freudian 12-03-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Josh Rimer ‏@JoshRimerHockey
Brad Boyes tells me on http://nextsportstar.com that about 20-30 guys have said they want to be in on meeting tomorrow.

Boyes says however that Gary Bettman won't allow that many in on meeting because he wont do anything that’s a disadvantage to him

Boyes says "NHLPA Will give NHL heads up right before meeting who will be in on meetings."
I don't get his logic. How would it be an advantage for the players to have everyone who wanted in there? It would just be much harder to get anything useful done.

Midas0 12-03-2012 09:42 PM

i believe! let's get the boys back on the ice!

JAX 12-03-2012 09:42 PM

Were Bettman and Fehr even talking? I'm not sure how this could of happened so fast with nobody even knowing they were meeting.

Bobby Lou 12-03-2012 09:43 PM

Hah, nice thread title. Damn this Burton, besieging my walls of apathy with some semblance of hope. If there is one thing I've learned being a hockey fan it's that big news (be it trade or signings or whatever) can just as easily come from a left-field source as it can from the Dregers of the world.

HH 12-03-2012 09:43 PM

http://www.ctvnews.ca/bettman-denies...nipeg-1.646228

11 days later it was announced.

PCooper 12-03-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

DPyro
What kind of potato was this recorded with?
Don't know how to quote from an old thread, but just wanted to say this cracked me up way, way too much. Ugh, my sides hurt. I'm at work, it's been a long-ass night and I really needed that, thanks. :laugh:

ps. props to the guy who recorded it, don't take my laughing fit at this as a dig at your post, it's appreciated.

When you think about it, it would end this way. Some random (okay, not a random guy, but he's not a hockey guy) breaks the news. Fits right in with everything that's gone on. What a show.

Mattiboy13 12-03-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewOilRising (Post 56224053)
This.

There has to be something (no matter how minor) to this if both Burton and the station are willing to put their balls to the fire with this report.

agree. burton wouldnt just make something so major as this up because of how much it would effect his credibility for the future.

Knight 12-03-2012 09:43 PM

S E P H 12-03-2012 09:44 PM

Who the hell is Steve Burton and should he be taken seriously?