HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Pre-Game Talk: General WJC Talk Thread - "Hoto doesn't like Editions" Edition (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1301307)

overlords 12-04-2012 03:12 PM

General WJC Talk Thread - "Hoto doesn't like Editions" Edition

I figured we could have a general WJC thread to liven things up a bit around here. We'll have GDT's for the big games like usual.

Et le But 12-04-2012 03:22 PM

Was hoping for one of these, thanks.

Team Canada is absolutely stacked, but I really can't wait to watch Team USA (only because of Galchenyuk) and Finland (the deepest Finnish team I can remember; for the first time they have a defense with NHL potential. Also Barkov). The Czechs also have the strongest team in years, at least at the forward position.

Monctonscout 12-04-2012 03:32 PM

"Tom Wilson and Mark McNeil are not better players than Drouin, but with how TC puts the team together, their odds of making it are probably higher going into the camp."

They are better if their responsibilities will include tough match ups and PK. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that you don't just take the 12 most skilled forwards/top 20 most skilled players and think you will win. Plus when looking at guys like MacKinnon, Drouin and Lipon guys like that would not be nearly as productive getting less ice time and no PP time.

Ghetto Sangria 12-04-2012 03:50 PM

Curious as to what vail's odds are for making the US team. Seems like a good 4th line candidate, although i'm sure playing in the CHL doesn't help his odds.

Also looking forward to seeing how collberg does against oppenents his age

Marc the Habs Fan 12-04-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez (Post 56239301)
Curious as to what vail's odds are for making the US team. Seems like a good 4th line candidate, although i'm sure playing in the CHL doesn't help his odds.

0, they announced the roster today and he isn't on.

CP, with Jenner and Danault as locks on the roster, I think we have enough of that element. No need for several more.

hototogisu 12-04-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carey Price (Post 56237467)
If your definitions of "checkers/grinders" includes guys like McNeill Hudon Jenner Wilson then I'm all for that. This isn't a 2013 draft showcase, you're trying to win the tournament and it's a 19 year old tournament for the most part.

How has that been working out for Canada for the last few years?

Canada's losing because of its reticence to let our offense shine and obsessing over systems and defense. Mack and Drouin are ripping it up against players 1, 2 or 3 years older than them, yet they're not good enough to play in this tournament? Please.

It's not even like we're asking them to be go-to guys...that's what you have RNH, Strome and Scheifele for. They'll be very well insulated.

FlyingKostitsyn 12-04-2012 04:20 PM

I think I'm going to root for Galchenyuk and team USA. Altho I'd like Hudon to win it.

NewHabsEra* 12-04-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn (Post 56239985)
I think I'm going to root for Galchenyuk and team USA. Altho I'd like Hudon to win it.

While alot of people have Hudon as a lock, personally Im not sure he will make the team if both Mackinnon and Drouin make it.. Hudon needs a strong camp IMO unless the NHL resumes before the WJC, then Hudon is a lock..

Et le But 12-04-2012 05:20 PM

I actually think Hudon is somewhat competing with Drouin for a spot, oddly enough. Not that they have much in common beyond being small French playmakers, but Hudon's fate will depend a lot on how much two way play they want, because if they want another pure playmaker, he could end up being snubbed for Drouin, but he's a more complete player at this point.

I hope Galchenyuk has a great tournament but I can't bring myself to root for the Americans. And since I don't like the arrogance from the Canadians and Russians either, I guess I'm joining Collberg on the Sweden bandwagon, even though this Swedish team is something of a disappointment.

overlords 12-04-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Et le But (Post 56241671)
I actually think Hudon is somewhat competing with Drouin for a spot, oddly enough. Not that they have much in common beyond being small French playmakers, but Hudon's fate will depend a lot on how much two way play they want, because if they want another pure playmaker, he could end up being snubbed for Drouin, but he's a more complete player at this point.

I hope Galchenyuk has a great tournament but I can't bring myself to root for the Americans. And since I don't like the arrogance from the Canadians and Russians either, I guess I'm joining Collberg on the Sweden bandwagon, even though this Swedish team is something of a disappointment.

I generally avoid rooting for any one country. I root for the Habs players to do well, and I'll root for the teams that have them versus those who don't. I usually have a bit of a soft spot for Finland, so we'll just have to draft Barkov. :dunno:

Et le But 12-04-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlords (Post 56241837)
I generally avoid rooting for any one country. I root for the Habs players to do well, and I'll root for the teams that have them versus those who don't. I usually have a bit of a soft spot for Finland, so we'll just have to draft Barkov. :dunno:

:laugh: Same here actually, I root for Habs prospects and underdog countries whose teams Like, usually Finland or the Czechs. So yeah, go Barkov.

canadiensnation 12-04-2012 05:35 PM

My predictions:

Goalies:
Malcolm Subban, Jordan Binnington, Laurent Brossoit

Defensemen:
Hamilton - Harrington
Murphy - Reinhart
Rielly - Dumba
Pouliot/Ouellet

Forwards:
Huberdeau - Nugent-Hopkins - Danault
Hudon - Strome - Scheifele
Rattie - Jenner - Mackinnon
Ritchie - Mcneill - Shinkaruk
Monahan/Drouin/Catenacci

These are not by position or anything just randomly ordering them.

newtown33 12-04-2012 05:41 PM

[QUOTE=Et le But;56241671]I actually think Hudon is somewhat competing with Drouin for a spot, oddly enough. Not that they have much in common beyond being small French playmakers, but Hudon's fate will depend a lot on how much two way play they want, because if they want another pure playmaker, he could end up being snubbed for Drouin, but he's a more complete player at this point.

Hudon is a lock, and he's not competing with Drouin. Hudon will play with Jenner against Yakupov and other first lines, he was great in the SSS. I was there in Boisbriand, he's a real smart player...

I could see Drouin making it on the top 6 tough

walsy37 12-04-2012 05:46 PM

Has Beaulieu aged out? If not, why wasn't he invited as a returning player?

montreal 12-04-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walsy37 (Post 56242401)
Has Beaulieu aged out? If not, why wasn't he invited as a returning player?

He turns 20 tomorrow so too old. Pribyl is in the same boat, he turns 20 in 2 weeks.

Frozenice 12-04-2012 07:31 PM

TSN has an intro to the WJC on now. The countdown to Boxing Day begins now.:yo:

hototogisu 12-04-2012 07:46 PM

McKenzie has Hudon, Danault and Wilson as "locks". Assuming he has a pretty good idea of what direction Hockey Canada wants to go with the team...facepalm.

Watsatheo 12-04-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hototogisu (Post 56245443)
McKenzie has Hudon, Danault and Wilson as "locks". Assuming he has a pretty good idea of what direction Hockey Canada wants to go with the team...facepalm.

Why facepalm?

hototogisu 12-04-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Watsatheo (Post 56245495)
Why facepalm?

I see no reason why any of those guys should be considered locks at this point, aside from the obvious Hockey Canada grinder/checking line hard-on.

canadiensnation 12-04-2012 08:30 PM

Brett Ritchie is much better force than Wilson:shakehead, He was spectacular in SSS and i hope he makes it to this squad.

overlords 12-04-2012 08:36 PM

You know, I was expecting some of you wisecrackers to jump forward with witty witticisms for the title edition. I'm just leading it as ??? until one of you surprises me :naughty:

poetryinmotion 12-04-2012 09:09 PM

I want USA to win it all this year and nothing short of that will satisfy me. Against Canada or Russia will just be a bonus.

poetryinmotion 12-04-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hototogisu (Post 56245443)

Maybe not a surefire lock at this point but why wouldn't Hudon make it? He was electric.

Lars The GOAT Eller 12-04-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poetryinmotion (Post 56247675)
I want USA to win it all this year and nothing short of that will satisfy me. Against Canada or Russia will just be a bonus.

I concur, WJC has always been more about prospects than anything..

If it's vs Canada we will all hear complaints, and Russia will be against Grigorenko/Yakupov.

Frozenice 12-04-2012 09:22 PM

The Hudon is Electric Edition suits me fine.