HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Madness the 9th: Tom Cheek Memorial Edition (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1301755)

GoHardSports 12-05-2012 04:22 PM

Off-Season Madness the 9th: Tom Cheek Memorial Edition

Lol:

Quote:

tim britton@tbritton_projo

francona: "being totally honest, i think boston's biggest weakness is their manager."

BigFatCat999 12-05-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorontoMarleauLeafs (Post 56269295)
Lol:

Manager or General Manager?

calcal798 12-05-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOGuy14 (Post 56267867)
If they make the deal for Upton, they will probably jump all over Greinke, not Hamilton

Greinke
Harrison
Darvish
Lewis
Holland

1-5 that is a solid rotation, LA would probably be disappointed if Greinke went to a divison rival after spending all that money last off season and the assets to get him. But man would Texas be looking good.

Feel like the Jays are in a similar situation with Rangers. A great batting and good bullpen, we both have 4 starters with question marks for some but good potential and are looking for that fifth piece to cap it off. Greinke would do it for them, but a #4/5 would be okay for us.

cyris 12-05-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sokil (Post 56261495)
Why? Gose is pretty terrible (I'm not a fan of either but at least Rasmus is a starter for us)

Gose will be a very good starting CF even if his bat doesn't improve much. His range and arm alone will make him one of the best defensive outfielders in the game and his speed on the bases is as good as anyone in the game.

If he can improve his bat he will be an allstar.

The Nemesis 12-05-2012 04:31 PM

Oh, gotta give props from the last thread for the Richard Hidalgo reference. Haven't heard that name in a long time. Takes me back to playing All-Star Baseball 2000 on the N64 when I'd trade for an OF of Hidalgo, Preston Wilson, and Juan Encarnacion. :laugh:

calcal798 12-05-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyris (Post 56269615)
Gose will be a very good starting CF even if his bat doesn't improve much. His range and arm alone will make him one of the best defensive outfielders in the game and his speed on the bases is as good as anyone in the game.

If he can improve his bat he will be an allstar.

He'll be deadly on the bases too.

If he can get a solid BA between .270-280 even it'd be more then enough for the contribution he will bring on the defensive side of the ball.

Tony Clifton Leaf 12-05-2012 04:36 PM

I was born in 1994, so I've never really experienced following the Jays when they've had success. I'm something of a casual Jays fan (usually catch 10 - 20 games a year, even when we're losing) but if this team lives up to it's potential I would probably start watching every game I could. I think there are a lot of Jays "fans" like me who will jump on the bandwagon once this team gets rolling; Rogers has made a pretty big investment, but it has the potential to have a huge payoff for them.

GoHardSports 12-05-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 (Post 56269523)
Manager or General Manager?

It was a joke. Francona is poking fun at Farrell.

topched 12-05-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Nemesis (Post 56269623)
Oh, gotta give props from the last thread for the Richard Hidalgo reference. Haven't heard that name in a long time. Takes me back to playing All-Star Baseball 2000 on the N64 when I'd trade for an OF of Hidalgo, Preston Wilson, and Juan Encarnacion. :laugh:

LOL Nem.

I played that game endlessly. For me the trade was always for Paul O'Neill or Juan Gonzalez.

I also made sure I traded for Tom Candiotti from the A's too. I couldn't stand facing that knuckleball... trying to lineup the box with that tiny dot that fluttered around was IMPOSSIBLE.

cyris 12-05-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calcal798 (Post 56269787)
He'll be deadly on the bases too.

If he can get a solid BA between .270-280 even it'd be more then enough for the contribution he will bring on the defensive side of the ball.

With his D and absolute cannon of an arm any offense from him is just a bonus. Add to that his base stealing ability and he is will be just fine going forward.

It will be great if he can hit for average or add some pop to his bat but he doesn't need to.

BigFatCat999 12-05-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorontoMarleauLeafs (Post 56269803)
It was a joke. Francona is poking fun at Farrell.

I know but BOTH are a joke.

p.l.f. 12-05-2012 05:00 PM

just bring back villaneuva
problem solved

i dont see his name floating around at all

cyris 12-05-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p.l.f. (Post 56270713)
problem solved

He wants to be a starter somewhere.

Leafssss 12-05-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p.l.f. (Post 56270713)
problem solved

Would rather hope that the Jays pay up 3-5M more to get a Marcum/McCarthy and push Happ down.

The Nemesis 12-05-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topched (Post 56270187)
LOL Nem.

I played that game endlessly. For me the trade was always for Paul O'Neill or Juan Gonzalez.

I also made sure I traded for Tom Candiotti from the A's too. I couldn't stand facing that knuckleball... trying to lineup the box with that tiny dot that fluttered around was IMPOSSIBLE.

I would always get Kevin Appier from the A's. He could dominate. But for some weird reason he would always break his arm within the first few starts of a season.

Now this conversation has made me want to see of my N64 still works :laugh:

p.l.f. 12-05-2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyris (Post 56271083)
He wants to be a starter somewhere.

i think he'd come back when he notices nobody else will seem interested
besides, they could make him the #5 andmake happ the spot starter

p.l.f. 12-05-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leafssss (Post 56271085)
Would rather hope that the Jays pay up 3-5M more to get a Marcum/McCarthy and push Happ down.

sure if theyre willing to spend
what would villaneuva want 5 mil per?

Leafssss 12-05-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p.l.f. (Post 56271459)
sure if theyre willing to spend
what would villaneuva want 5 mil per?

I read somewhere that he was looking for like 7M, don't remember exactly as it was a while ago. Doubt he gets close to that though, 5M, like you said, seems okay.

I'm guessing Marcum would sign here for about 8-9M, McCarthy about 10M.

dredeye 12-05-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf (Post 56269793)
I was born in 1994, so I've never really experienced following the Jays when they've had success. I'm something of a casual Jays fan (usually catch 10 - 20 games a year, even when we're losing) but if this team lives up to it's potential I would probably start watching every game I could. I think there are a lot of Jays "fans" like me who will jump on the bandwagon once this team gets rolling; Rogers has made a pretty big investment, but it has the potential to have a huge payoff for them.

They may appreciate you and your friends finding your way to a game or two. Just a thought. Live games are much better.

calcal798 12-05-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leafssss (Post 56271903)
I read somewhere that he was looking for like 7M, don't remember exactly as it was a while ago. Doubt he gets close to that though, 5M, like you said, seems okay.

I'm guessing Marcum would sign here for about 8-9M, McCarthy about 10M.

8-9 for Macrum sounds like a good deal for me. I don't know if hed be looking for a one year deal, but he would be an ideal filler till Hutchinson gets back.

jcollins 12-05-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p.l.f. (Post 56271387)
i think he'd come back when he notices nobody else will seem interested
besides, they could make him the #5 andmake happ the spot starter

except he's shown he can't be a starter.

Bjindaho 12-05-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Nemesis (Post 56269623)

Hidalgo was the subject of the first ever Fangraphs article I read. He is the greatest example ever of a feast/famine cycle. He went from all-star/MVP candidate to replacement level and back for 6 or 7 years.

Speaking of ASB, I used to acquire a knuckleballer too, but I remember the computer devastating them, so I used to bury mine as the long man. I believe I used to have a similar OF as well (Encarnacion was highly rated).

Animal 12-05-2012 05:59 PM

The thing about pitching is you can never have enough. I'd like one more free agent pitcher. Then in a couple of years we'll have a wave of talent as Sanchez, syndergaard, nolin, hutch, and drabek will be ready. Out of those 5, I think it's safe to say at least 2 pan out.

Then down the road you've also got guys like osuna, Norris, smoral, Gonzalez and de jong

Cor 12-05-2012 06:02 PM

AA on Fla flipping Escobar to TB: "You can’t worry about what everyone else is doing. Yunel is a good player, Reyes is a better fit for us"

Ohio Jones 12-05-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cor99 (Post 56273097)
AA on Fla flipping Escobar to TB: "You canít worry about what everyone else is doing. Yunel is a good player, Reyes is a better fit for us"

In other words, "He's not my problem any more!". :D