HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Colorado Avalanche (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Ryan O'Reilly Signs With Magnitogorsk (2-yr deal) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1301789)

R S 12-05-2012 05:40 PM

Ryan O'Reilly Signs With Magnitogorsk (2-yr deal)

Quote:

As per @AOsadchenko, #Avs forward Ryan O'Reilly has just signed with Magnitogorsk. His brother Cal plays there currently.

Obviously not confirmed yet, but the guy is a good source.

BoxOfChocolates 12-05-2012 05:44 PM

Why?

R S 12-05-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxOfChocolates (Post 56272443)
Why?

This. Seems like very odd timing.

If he was going to do it, he should've signed 2 months ago and actually made it worth his time/effort.

Unaffiliated 12-05-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxOfChocolates (Post 56272443)
Why?

Yea...

Aerolanche 12-05-2012 09:39 PM

Contracts with Magnitogorsk: 1
Contracts with Colorado: 0

Risky.

Bender 12-05-2012 11:06 PM

He wants to get in shape before training camp next week. :sarcasm:

Elever 12-05-2012 11:09 PM

Ryan's a weird kid. Why can't he just be like PK Subban and get a few media gigs? Classless.

Btw Colby Armstrong from Mtl also signed today with an ECHL club though which makes more sense in terms of just getting in shape.

Colorado Avalanche 12-06-2012 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuietCompany (Post 56283901)
Ryan's a weird kid. Why can't he just be like PK Subban and get a few media gigs? Classless.

Btw Colby Armstrong from Mtl also signed today with an ECHL club though which makes more sense in terms of just getting in shape.

Hes gonna make much more money in Russia.

Soedy 12-06-2012 05:22 AM

Cant find any news about this. If it's true, three things might happen:

1. Get in shape
2. Stay there because the Avs don't want him anymore and contract negotiations failed (then somebody has to die!)
3. Lockout continues

I believe it, when I see another source reporting it.

Lonewolfe2015 12-06-2012 07:33 AM

I could swear there was a KHL rule where NHLers without contracts had to sign a regular KHL deal, not a lockout contract. See: Kostitsyn, Andrei.

vorky 12-06-2012 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 (Post 56292117)
I could swear there was a KHL rule where NHLers without contracts had to sign a regular KHL deal, not a lockout contract. See: Kostitsyn, Andrei.

true. Ryan does not have NHL contract, so he is obligated to stay in KHL whole season (if signed). I read interview with GM of Magnitogorsk a few days ago, he said that club and Ryan was in talks about contract, but Ryan did not want to play KHL whole season, only lockout period. Magnitogorsk did not agree ... so no contract.GM of Magnitogorsk statement from last week... something changed?

Helton4Hall 12-06-2012 08:20 AM

Perhaps he thinks the whole season will be canceled?

Lonewolfe2015 12-06-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vorky (Post 56292327)
true. Ryan does not have NHL contract, so he is obligated to stay in KHL whole season (if signed). I read interview with GM of Magnitogorsk a few days ago, he said that club and Ryan was in talks about contract, but Ryan did not want to play KHL whole season, only lockout period. Magnitogorsk did not agree ... so no contract.GM of Magnitogorsk statement from last week... something changed?

My only thought would be that him being a RFA nullifies the KHL restrictions and psuedo-lawyers him as having a contract in the NHL allowing him to sign a lockout deal. But I doubt anyone makes an exception for him this late into the season so I have to keep a healthy dose of reservation that this rumor has any truth behind it.

vorky 12-06-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 (Post 56292465)
My only thought would be that him being a RFA nullifies the KHL restrictions and psuedo-lawyers him as having a contract in the NHL allowing him to sign a lockout deal. But I doubt anyone makes an exception for him this late into the season so I have to keep a healthy dose of reservation that this rumor has any truth behind it.

I am sure no exception for him. Magnitogorsk wanted (wants) him for whole season, no only lockout period. According to KHL rules, club can signed 3 NHLers with contract (Malkin, Gonchar, Kulyomin). Ryan is RFA, so he is not considered as NHLer. Yes, there can be gentelmen agreement, that if lockout ends, club will release him .. but as I wrote earlier - Magnirogorsk wants him for whole season. Does not make sense for club to make such verbal (gentelmen) deal.

There is rumour that KHL clubs will be able to sign another NHLer (one per team), so 4 NHLers. But it does not apply to Ryan, he is not consider as NHL because he is RFA, not have NHL contract.

Elever 12-07-2012 01:45 AM

Although I wish that a few of our players signed on in Finland, I'm glad O'Reilly gets a chance to play on the bigger ice surface.

Soedy 12-07-2012 03:19 AM

Done deal according to Eurolanche. Lockout contract.

vorky 12-07-2012 04:18 AM

Official

2y deal, with verbal out clause which is not legally binding
http://www.metallurg.ru/site/news/read/76878/

SwissAvsFan 12-07-2012 04:47 AM

Google Translation
Quote:

Magnitogorsk "Metallurg" signed a contract with Canadian forward Ryan O `Reilly. The agreement is for the season 2013-2014. However, according to a verbal agreement, if Ryan will be offered a contract on more favorable terms in the National Hockey League (NHL), "Metallurg" will not prevent the conclusion of the contract.It should be noted that Ryan embraced the opportunity to play on the same team with his older brother. Unfortunately, Cal O `Reilly was injured and is now in New York, where in the next few days will be the operation and subsequent rehabilitation. So do not rule out the possibility that Ryan and Cal still play together this season.
So, will he get sued if he leaves for the NHL? Or is is just very intelligently done by his agent so the Avalanche have to offer him a good contract?

Gigantor The Goalie 12-07-2012 05:39 AM

I don't know what to think about this move. I have a feeling his competitive nature wasn't satisfied practising with awful Jr. B teams during the lockout *coughchathammaroonscough*. I hope he doesn't get hurt and I'm really surprised its two years. At least he has an out clause. Still though 2 years? Going to definitely need some time to think about this.

vorky 12-07-2012 05:54 AM

Quote:

At least he has an out clause.
one more time, it is not legally binding. There is said that he has to have MUCH BETTER NHL offer which can be 30 mil USD per season if Magnitogorsk thinks. All depends on Magnitogorsk´s decision now. My personal opinion is that he has 4-5 mil USD contract per season with Magnitogorsk. Just saying.

RobinDIF 12-07-2012 06:05 AM

"2 years with verbal out clause which is not legally binding"

Not legally binding out clause in Russia? Risky move Ryan...

vorky 12-07-2012 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobinDIF (Post 56333281)
"2 years with verbal out clause which is not legally binding"

Not legally binding out clause in Russia? Risky move Ryan...

you dont know what you are saying.

According to KHL rules verbal(gentlmen) agreements are not binding, written agreements based on civil law are not binding as well, and KHL contract can not have out clause. So the only solution is to have verbal deal - only legal way. Yes, other side can change its opinion, but in generall it has not been happening in KHL.

Last but not least, a player has a right to terminate contract earlier but he has to pay the XY% of remainder of contract to club. What is the problem? Ryan will play for Magnitogorsk 2 seasons or less.

RobinDIF 12-07-2012 06:38 AM

The problem is that it feels like Metallurg wont accept that Ryan wants to leave they day NHL starts up, that they will point to a loophole that the Avs offer isn't financially better than the KHL-offer. Maybe.

It just feels like this will mean problem down the road... Hope I'm wrong though and I'm glad that Ryan will play in the second best league in the world during the lockout.

SoundwaveIsCharisma 12-07-2012 06:44 AM

I'm going to go ahead and look on the bright side and hop Radar learns a thing or two from Malkin.

vorky 12-07-2012 06:45 AM

GM of Magnitogorsk said today that Ryan wants to spend THIS season in KHL even if NHL lockout ends.
http://rsport.ru/hockey/20121207/634620908.html