HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Lets talk Nicky B (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=13018)

Boston Bruno 09-21-2003 04:43 AM

Lets talk Nicky B

We all know the scoop about the contract problem correct?

Bruins offer 1 year, ten percent raise (Lame IMO)
Bruins off 2 year 1.2?(Please correct that as Im not checking my work)

Nick and his agent turned it down..

Factors?

When does Nick get his arbitration rights?
The Cba negotiations could work in the players favor this time?
Nick could be one of those hard negotiating types - as he was with Washington, and now twice with the bruins..

Post your solution, and lets debate it out..

Trade him? Give him more on the One year deal? Go for a 3 year pact?
Other options?

Personally, I cannot see Boynton only being worth 770k when you are paying Hal Gill 2 Mill..

Still a Bruin fan 09-21-2003 05:27 AM

The one year qualifying number is $800,000.
The Bruins want him for 2 years, but I didn't see how much exactly they've offered.

To get him to give up an arbitration year, which he'll have if he only signs for 1 year, the Bruins are offering a bigger jump in the 2nd year than this year's 10%, only apparently not enough for Thun.

There's no rush for Boynton to sign if his hamstring isn't ready to go.
We'll know when he's healed, imo.
It's at that time he'll be anxious to sign.
Until then, he's hoping for a little more from O'c.

DKH 09-21-2003 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still a Bruin fan
The one year qualifying number is $800,000.
The Bruins want him for 2 years, but I didn't see how much exactly they've offered.

To get him to give up an arbitration year, which he'll have if he only signs for 1 year, the Bruins are offering a bigger jump in the 2nd year than this year's 10%, only apparently not enough for Thun.

There's no rush for Boynton to sign if his hamstring isn't ready to go.
We'll know when he's healed, imo.
It's at that time he'll be anxious to sign.
Until then, he's hoping for a little more from O'c.

he'll be here by opening night- bet on it; the Broons abrasive and heavy handed ways are over. Bottom line, MOC wants and needs Boynton and Nick certainly feels the same way. He's the future defacto Captain of this team and was born to wear the old black sweater with the shoe lace strings hanging from the neck- could he possibly pass that up? no way

Mizral 09-21-2003 06:18 AM

I can't help but feel Boynton is getting jobbed here.

The market clearly defined Nick. Look at other defenseman like him that have gotten their contracts:

Robyn Regehr (around $2 million)
Eric Brewer (around $2.8 million)
Brad Stuart (around $2.5 million)

I feel Boynton is better than Regehr, and not quite a good as Brewer or Stuart. I feel that a good contract for Nick would be a 3-year, $6 - 6.5 million dollar contract.

Bruins management seems to have their priorities backwards in getting everyone else signed but their top defenseman. But whatever, I don't think he'll hold out anyways. But realistically, $1.2 - 1.8 million is, in my opinion, too cheap for a defenseman of Boynton' calibur. The market, as I mentioned above, clearly defines what he should be making, and O'Connell is trying to ignore it and play his on little game. Unfortunatly, that only works in driving players away.

This aint a $15 million dollar contract, so I don't understand the reistance to pay him what he's worth.

DKH 09-21-2003 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WE WANT LARAQUE
We all know the scoop about the contract problem correct?

Bruins offer 1 year, ten percent raise (Lame IMO)
Bruins off 2 year 1.2?(Please correct that as Im not checking my work)

Nick and his agent turned it down..

Factors?

When does Nick get his arbitration rights?
The Cba negotiations could work in the players favor this time?
Nick could be one of those hard negotiating types - as he was with Washington, and now twice with the bruins..

Post your solution, and lets debate it out..

Trade him? Give him more on the One year deal? Go for a 3 year pact?
Other options?

Personally, I cannot see Boynton only being worth 770k when you are paying Hal Gill 2 Mill..

Eric Gagne makes $400,000; Albert Pujols makes less than a mil; Boynton has to wait his turn and due his time- the Broons are absolutely right here- and you will find no bigger Boynton fan on this board. I have no problem with this two year deal- as long as it doesn't get in the mud it should be worked out. He's vital to this team who without the defense suffers significantly but with is OK- IF he and Jillson both are on the ice and playing well the future looks pretty damn good. I have read a few Jillson posts that make him seem like he's struggling and have yet to see him in a practice or game- but the comments I heard is that quite the contrary he is giving glimpses of someone who is starting to look like an NHLer- and I took that to mean a decent one. I can hardly wait to see him myself (not that I'd have a clue- although I did recognize Orr would be good even at 7 :D )

JoeIsAStud 09-21-2003 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizral
I can't help but feel Boynton is getting jobbed here.

The market clearly defined Nick. Look at other defenseman like him that have gotten their contracts:

Robyn Regehr (around $2 million)
Eric Brewer (around $2.8 million)
Brad Stuart (around $2.5 million)

I feel Boynton is better than Regehr, and not quite a good as Brewer or Stuart. I feel that a good contract for Nick would be a 3-year, $6 - 6.5 million dollar contract.

Brad Stuart and Robyn Regehr have 4 years NHL experience, Brewer has 5 years experience. Nick Boynton has 2

You have to compare guys salaries based on years of experience, as much as age.

How does the Bruins offer compare to other 3rd year NHL defenseman.

His contract should probably be around 1 mil this year, 1.8 mil next year, and 2.5 the third year So 3 years in the 5.3 million range would be fair.

Eat It 09-21-2003 06:57 AM

I thought they offered him one year at the minimum (770k?) with his payday coming when he's eligible for arbitration at the end of the year, or 2 years for 3 mil with the idea being that he'd probably get a little over 2 mil if he opted for arbitration anyway. I think both offers are fair for the position Boynton is in right now with no arbitration rights.

Still a Bruin fan 09-21-2003 07:15 AM

The contention is Thun wants more than the qualifying offer for year 1.
This increases the contract exponentially when looking at the 2nd year, his arbitration year. That's the only way they can be so far apart over the 2 year span. The Bruins do NOT like to offer more than they have to,
and they don't have to offer more than the qualifying offer.

Miz is right in that Thun isn't looking at years of service, only where Boynton ranks as a a defender around the league.
Fact is, Boynton DOESN"T have arbitration rights so the Bruins are approaching this as expected, with as minimal escalation as possible while he's still restricted.

They don't like players being 1 contract ahead of themselves (relative to their opinion) as we well know with Allison, regardless of the amount of money we're talking about.

Thun certainly can TRY to make a case for a quicker escalater given the relatively low figure compared with other 'problem' negotiations.

Boynton will be behind as it is when he comes back, so I think we'll see a compromise on both sides to get him in there when he's ready.

Mizral 09-21-2003 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeIsAStud
Brad Stuart and Robyn Regehr have 4 years NHL experience, Brewer has 5 years experience. Nick Boynton has 2

You have to compare guys salaries based on years of experience, as much as age.

How does the Bruins offer compare to other 3rd year NHL defenseman.

His contract should probably be around 1 mil this year, 1.8 mil next year, and 2.5 the third year So 3 years in the 5.3 million range would be fair.

Brewer signed his contract two years ago. Regehr one year ago. I believe those figures are accurate.

JoeIsAStud 09-21-2003 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizral
Brewer signed his contract two years ago. Regehr one year ago. I believe those figures are accurate.

So ALL 3 of those players signed their contract AFTER their 3rd NHL season.

Nick Boynton is looking to jump up to that level after 2 seasons.

HockeyGoddess 09-21-2003 02:02 PM

Just an FYI... Nick's recent injury is worse than what's been reported. He's healing, but it'll likely be awhile before he's fully healed... but at least the injury he suffered isn't a recurring one... just a fluke one, coupled by bad luck partway through his recuperation.

On the contract/arbitration part, he's eligible for arbitration next summer. I imagine that that's part of the reason why he's not willing to take just the 10% increase over last season... think about it... Gill is making $2mil... yes, Hal has been playing a few years longer than Nick, but when it comes right down to it, is Hal really a better player than Nick?

neelynugs 09-21-2003 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyGoddess
Just an FYI... Nick's recent injury is worse than what's been reported. He's healing, but it'll likely be awhile before he's fully healed... but at least the injury he suffered isn't a recurring one... just a fluke one, coupled by bad luck partway through his recuperation.

On the contract/arbitration part, he's eligible for arbitration next summer. I imagine that that's part of the reason why he's not willing to take just the 10% increase over last season... think about it... Gill is making $2mil... yes, Hal has been playing a few years longer than Nick, but when it comes right down to it, is Hal really a better player than Nick?

that sucks- i hope it's not an injury that will keep nick out for too long, as we'd be in big trouble without him.

as for the contract, i see your point about nick being better than gill, but it's all about paying your dues. nobody will question boynton's talent, but he needs to bite the bullet and sign a deal. all NHL teams must use their leverage early on, b/c the players normally own the leverage once arbitration rights are awarded.

Mizral 09-21-2003 06:11 PM

Alright then, maybe it'd be appropriate to give Boynton a 1 year deal at $1.5 - $2, then perhaps $3 after that? I would rather lock up Boynton up right now, as I think he'll be improving a fair bit between now and then.