HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   International Tournaments (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   WJC: WJC Tournament Predictions (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1301937)

Snippit 12-05-2012 09:10 PM

WJC Tournament Predictions
 
Group A:

Sweden
Czech Republic
Finland

Switzerland
Latvia

Group B:

Canada
United States
Russia

Slovakia
Germany

QF1: Czech Republic vs Russia
QF2: United States vs Finland

SF1: Sweden vs Russia
SF2: Canada vs United States

F: Canada vs Russia

Notes:

-Very similar to 2011, with Canada winning instead
-Without the NHL Lockout, Canada loses in the Finals
-Czechs top Finland in a grinding defensive game in Group A
-Sweden wins their group, but their missing players are too much of a loss to keep up with the Russians
-Canada goes undefeated in the tournament.
-Russia dominates the first game against Canada, but Subban's clutch goaltending holds them in the game and scrapes a win in OT. Finals is hard fought, close, and entertaining but Canada pulls through.
-Canada crushes the U.S in the first game. In the Semi-Finals, U.S comes out and stuns Canada, pulling ahead 2-0. Canada fights back in the 2nd half of the game to win a squeaker.

Tournament Scoring Leaders:

-RNH
-Strome
-Yakupov

Xokkeu 12-05-2012 09:18 PM

Finns in front of the Czechs and Russians in front of the Americans but otherwise your bracket seems reasonable.

nitz 12-05-2012 09:50 PM

If the lockout doesn't end, Canada has to be the gold medal favourite.

Gold - Canada
Silver - Russia
Bronze - Finland

dan1el 12-05-2012 10:36 PM

Been praying so hard for an end to this lockout, now here I am saying, "If we've lasted this long, let's last a little longer so Canada can clean up".
Canada for gold, Russia for silver, Swedes for bronze.

Nash 12-05-2012 10:54 PM

Pool A will not be a cakewalk for Sweden. The core from last year is gone. Forsberg and Collberg may be returning players, but they were 17 last year. If they are counting on 2013 Lindholm and 2014 Nylander to produce, it will be tough for this young squad in a 19 year old tournament, especially losing two of their best D in Klefbom and Brodin, not to mention no Zibanejad. Finland and Czech are icing more competive teams than they have put forth recently. I could see a three way race for that pool.

I don't think the top 3 teams from Pool B will all make the semis, as most are predicting. Again, I think the 3 teams in the other pool are all equally competitive. They will surprise one of the two quarter finalists from Pool B.

Russia and Canada look to be the deepest and best teams this year. I see everyone else battling for bronze. Sweden, USA, Finland and Czechs are more evenly matched than we have seen in the last few years. Really nice to see both the the Finns and Czechs coming back up from third tier in the WJC. I can see one of those two capturing Bronze, depending on which team gels over the tournament.

DuckJet 12-05-2012 11:07 PM

Gold: Canada
Silver: Sweden
Bronze: USA

That's how I see it. If not USA then Russia.

Sartorial 12-05-2012 11:10 PM

I'm going to do this on the assumption the lockout ends.


Group A:

Sweden
Czech Republic
Finland

Switzerland
Latvia

Group B:

Canada
United States
Russia

Slovakia
Germany

QF1: Czech Republic vs Canada
QF2: United States vs Finland

SF1: Sweden vs Canada
SF2: Russia vs United States

F: Canada vs Russia

Then I'll say Sweden over the USA for Bronze

Sartorial 12-05-2012 11:12 PM

All that being said, I really think the Czech's have a roster that could make some noise and pull off a big upset or two.

Nash 12-05-2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckJet (Post 56286099)
Gold: Canada
Silver: Sweden
Bronze: USA

That's how I see it. If not USA then Russia.

Really?!? Russia has 9 returning players, even with Naumenkov injured. Sweden is a young team and USA is coming off of relegation last year. I'd be beyond shocked if Russia didn't get at least a Bronze at home with this veteran, talented roster, especially with Vasilevski and Markov in net. If anything, I think they might even be a favorite over Canada. Returning best goalie from last year. Solid, talented depth on forward. Good defense. Plus it is on home soil on international ice.

spfan 12-05-2012 11:53 PM

Gold: Canada
Silver: Russia
Bronze: U.S.

Rabid Ranger 12-06-2012 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nash (Post 56286715)
Really?!? Russia has 9 returning players, even with Naumenkov injured. Sweden is a young team and USA is coming off of relegation last year. I'd be beyond shocked if Russia didn't get at least a Bronze at home with this veteran, talented roster, especially with Vasilevski and Markov in net. If anything, I think they might even be a favorite over Canada. Returning best goalie from last year. Solid, talented depth on forward. Good defense. Plus it is on home soil on international ice.

The struggles of the U.S. last year means nothing. Only three players return, and one them (Gibson) wasn't a featured performer. I agree that Russia might actually be the favorite-as the event is on home ice and the international ice surface.

Nash 12-06-2012 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger (Post 56288561)
The struggles of the U.S. last year means nothing. Only three players return, and one them (Gibson) wasn't a featured performer. I agree that Russia might actually be the favorite-as the event is on home ice and the international ice surface.

In no way do I see USA finishing in the bottom four again. I just think that Sweden, USA, Finland and Czech all have pretty good teams this year, but that Russia and Canada have both more depth and better top end talent. Each of the four second tier teams has weaknesses, but whoever comes together best as a team should win Bronze. No offense to USA, but I'd love to see Finland or Czech medal again. It's been a while. Czechs played really well as a team and almost knocked out Russia last year. I'm just happy to see a resurgence in competing nations.

Xokkeu 12-06-2012 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nash (Post 56290045)
In no way do I see USA finishing in the bottom four again. I just think that Sweden, USA, Finland and Czech all have pretty good teams this year, but that Russia and Canada have both more depth and better top end talent. Each of the four second tier teams has weaknesses, but whoever comes together best as a team should win Bronze. No offense to USA, but I'd love to see Finland or Czech medal again. It's been a while. Czechs played really well as a team and almost knocked out Russia last year. I'm just happy to see a resurgence in competing nations.

What are the Czechs bringing that I'm missing? Finland will be better than their average I agree, but I don't know the Czechs enough.

Nash 12-06-2012 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xokkeu (Post 56290099)
What are the Czechs bringing that I'm missing? Finland will be better than their average I agree, but I don't know the Czechs enough.

While the D isn't big name, Musil was one of the most impressive defenders in last years tournament. He played a lot of minutes. I don't see why he won't be just as much of a workhorse this year. It's the forward talent that makes me see them in that group of four. Jaskin, Hertl, Frk, Faska, Hyka and others. It's probably the deepest they have been in years. Czechs also tend to play great systems hockey and always seem to play really hard for each other. I've always admired their ability to buy into a team game as a nation. Even in their lean years, they generally manage to challenge, compete and keep games close. Now they have some scoring talent that should push them up a bracket.

Huffman 12-06-2012 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nash (Post 56285685)
Pool A will not be a cakewalk for Sweden. The core from last year is gone. Forsberg and Collberg may be returning players, but they were 17 last year. If they are counting on 2013 Lindholm and 2014 Nylander to produce, it will be tough for this young squad in a 19 year old tournament, especially losing two of their best D in Klefbom and Brodin, not to mention no Zibanejad. Finland and Czech are icing more competive teams than they have put forth recently. I could see a three way race for that pool.

I don't think the top 3 teams from Pool B will all make the semis, as most are predicting. Again, I think the 3 teams in the other pool are all equally competitive. They will surprise one of the two quarter finalists from Pool B.

Russia and Canada look to be the deepest and best teams this year. I see everyone else battling for bronze. Sweden, USA, Finland and Czechs are more evenly matched than we have seen in the last few years. Really nice to see both the the Finns and Czechs coming back up from third tier in the WJC. I can see one of those two capturing Bronze, depending on which team gels over the tournament.

Nylander is not even there and the forward depth is greater than ever. Lindholm is the best center we have iced in years in this tournament, even as an 18-year old. I do agree with pool A being more competitive than it looks like, the Finns have a really strong team and so does the Czechs, the Swiss and even the Latvians.

Anyway, we have a pretty good record against most of the top teams:

6 of the last 7 games in the WJC have been wins against the Russians.
Last two games have been wins against the Canadiens
21 straight wins against the Finns
No loss in the preliminary round since 2007.

I'm mainly scared of USA, we seem to have big trouble against them.

Parise9Crosby87 12-06-2012 01:46 AM

canada gold russia silver usa bronze

Nash 12-06-2012 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perry2perry (Post 56290749)
Nylander is not even there and the forward depth is greater than ever. Lindholm is the best center we have iced in years in this tournament, even as an 18-year old. I do agree with pool A being more competitive than it looks like, the Finns have a really strong team and so does the Czechs, the Swiss and even the Latvians.

Anyway, we have a pretty good record against most of the top teams:

6 of the last 7 games in the WJC have been wins against the Russians.
Last two games have been wins against the Canadiens
21 straight wins against the Finns
No loss in the preliminary round since 2007.

I'm mainly scared of USA, we seem to have big trouble against them.

I'm surprised to hear someone say this is the deepest group of forwards you've had in a while. Of the 14 camp invitees, half are undrafted. There are only two first rounders (not high ones either), even though some undrafted will go first round in 2013. In a tournament generally dominated by 19 year olds, I see this as a weakness up front for Sweden.

Sweden has had strong teams the past few years, so the record supports that. I'm not too sure they will keep it up this go around, but should have a strong roster in 2014 with the potential of so many returning players.

I wouldn't worry too much about USA as chances are you might not even play 1 or 2 of Canada, Russia or USA this year due to being in a different pool.

Tomas W 12-06-2012 02:14 AM

1.Russia, 2 USA 3 Canada (but this is just a crapshot but those three teams will be tough to beat)

Finland and Sweden have a good chance to snach a medal too.

The Swiss could upset Canada but noone else per usual.

The Czechs will be kind of an underdog, but of course not without chances.

If the NHL starts things changes also.

Smallz 12-06-2012 02:46 AM

Because of Sweden's major roster absences I think predicting a Canada - Russia final is a pretty safe bet

Finland is my darkhorse team though. As long as Korpisalo and Laurikainen can give them stellar goaltending I think they will at the very least play for bronze

goodoldhockeygame 12-06-2012 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallz (Post 56291239)
Because of Sweden's major roster absences I think predicting a Canada - Russia final is a pretty safe bet

Finland is my darkhorse team though. As long as Korpisalo and Laurikainen can give them stellar goaltending I think they will at the very least play for bronze

yess, finland could compete for bronze, they have a really deep roster, and some good talent up front, but especially some nice d's.

Anyway, everything has to go good to compete for any medal. Goaltending will be an issue, since no of the goalies stood out this season. But hopefully they proof me wrong and show some stellar play.

1. Canada
2. Russia
3. Finland
4. Sweden :p: ;)

Nash 12-06-2012 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomas W (Post 56291093)
1.Russia, 2 USA 3 Canada (but this is just a crapshot but those three teams will be tough to beat)

Finland and Sweden have a good chance to snach a medal too.

The Swiss could upset Canada but noone else per usual.

The Czechs will be kind of an underdog, but of course not without chances.

If the NHL starts things changes also.

In 17 years with the round robin and with QF, SF, and medal games, only once have 3 teams from the same pool placed Gold, Silver and Bronze, which was 2002. In the pool they finished Finland, Canada and Russia, but the medals result were the opposite with Russia grabbing gold and Finland Bronze.

I expect one of Sweden, Finland or Czech to medal. I'm predicting Finland.

Swiss upset of Canada in a lockout season is a pretty bold prediction...especially since they aren't even in the same pool. This could only happen in a medal round, but since you had Canada winning Bronze, this is makes zero sense. ;)

I'll be cheering for the Czechs. They came close to a medal game last year.

If the NHL starts, it will bring Canada and Russia closer to the next four teams, but they will still be the favorites.

Mr Writer 12-06-2012 03:03 AM

I'll make a bold prediction. If the lockout doesn't end... It's a Canada-Finland final. Sweden-USA Bronze medal game.

If the lockout does end, well, I'll make a prediction based on the roster I see at that time.

Smallz 12-06-2012 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Writer (Post 56291327)
I'll make a bold prediction. If the lockout doesn't end... It's a Canada-Finland final. Sweden-USA Bronze medal game.

If the lockout does end, well, I'll make a prediction based on the roster I see at that time.

I can't see Russia not even getting to the bronze medal game on home soil - their goaltending is way to solid + they have the most returning players this year

One of Sweden or the US will probably finish 5th though

Sweden has the potential to go from 1st to 5th in one year - obviously guys not being there will hurt them but still would be noteworthy nonetheless

Mr Writer 12-06-2012 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallz (Post 56291339)
I can't see Russia not even getting to the bronze medal game on home soil - their goaltending is way to solid + they have the most returning players this year

One of Sweden or the US will probably finish 5th though

Sweden has the potential to go from 1st to 5th in one year - obviously guys not being there will hurt them but still would be noteworthy nonetheless

I said it was a bold prediction. and no doubt it will be an upset. We'll see what happens.

Jaykay 12-06-2012 03:39 AM

Gold- Russia
Silver- Canada
Bronze- USA beats Sweden


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.