HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Speculation: biggest name to be bought out (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1303569)

LEAFANFORLIFE23 12-06-2012 05:21 AM

biggest name to be bought out

Assuming the new CBA has a buyout clause like it did the last time who will be the biggest name to be bought out? I am not talking about gomez or komi i'm talking about guys that are still effective but may be faced why a buyout due to the drop in the cap.

Furthermore where do they end up?

duul 12-06-2012 05:29 AM

Horcoff

StringerBell 12-06-2012 05:50 AM

Tim Thomas

LEAFANFORLIFE23 12-06-2012 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StringerBell (Post 56291665)
Tim Thomas

he might already be retired if he is he doesn't count

nmbr_24 12-06-2012 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StringerBell (Post 56291665)
Tim Thomas

I really get the feeling that won't happen. I get the feeling that whenever the CBA gets done, Thomas' cap hit will no longer count against Boston.

I think I understand why the old CBA was written this way, but it doesn't and wasn't meant to apply to this situation, so it is just a hunch:laugh:

Even if nothing changes with the CBA, the Bruins roster is pretty much all set, the could use a 7th D maybe, but that is it. They also have Savard's $4 million that they can use at any time if they put him on LTIR.

Lastly, and probably most importantly, if they bought him out they would actually have to pay him, as things sit now they pay him $0.

startainfection 12-06-2012 06:06 AM

yashin?

oh i didn't read, never mind

boredmale 12-06-2012 06:10 AM

I don't think he will be bought out but maybe Brierre on Philly? 3 years left on the deal and a NMC, might hurt them in a year or 2 so they might just get out of it now(assuming they have a get out of jail free card not having to absorb the caphit)

Since the deal is front loaded it would be relatively cheap to buy out the contract(he makes 3M and 2M in the last 2 seasons) so they can have 6.5M in capspace.

WTFetus 12-06-2012 06:44 AM

Not that I think it'll happen, but the first name to come to mind after reading the criteria in the OP was Ballard.

nmbr_24 12-06-2012 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredmale (Post 56291743)
I don't think he will be bought out but maybe Brierre on Philly? 3 years left on the deal and a NMC, might hurt them in a year or 2 so they might just get out of it now(assuming they have a get out of jail free card not having to absorb the caphit)

Since the deal is front loaded it would be relatively cheap to buy out the contract(he makes 3M and 2M in the last 2 seasons) so they can have 6.5M in capspace.

I don't see the Flyers buying out Briere, not while he still is playing at the level he was last year. Briere is a pretty good player to have and since we don't know what the new CBA will look like, I would guess that Briere would get somewhere in the neighborhood of what his cap hit is now. It would probably be pretty darn easy to trade Briere at the deadline if the Flyers for some reason that would boggle my mind decided to do that, in my opinion.

How many teams wouldn't want one of the most prolific playoff goalscorers of the last few years to add to their roster if they had the cap space?

palindrom 12-06-2012 07:42 AM

Maybe Kaberle?

According to how a new CBA will affect his value.

LatvianTwist 12-06-2012 07:46 AM

A list with likely players from each team would be nice.

kimzey59 12-06-2012 07:59 AM

I'll go with Danny Heatley( still good but not worth 7.5 mil, didn't seem to mesh in Minnesota, pretty much replaced by Parise) being the best and Ales Hemsky and Niklas Hjalmarsson(both heavily shopped last summer) topping the 2nd teir.

If there is an immunity buyout, I expect you'll mostly overpriced 3/4 liners/ bottom pairing D men(Stajan, Gomez, Ballard, Ohlund) being the ones bought out. I doubt you'll see many headliners.

fedfed 12-06-2012 08:11 AM

Ward or Schultz from the Caps.
Ward because he has three more years @ 3M/year.
Schultz because we have a lot of LD though he only has one year @ 2.75M/year.

bobbyflex 12-06-2012 08:34 AM

Leino
or Bryzgalov

I wonder of Lightning would buy out Vinny. His contract gets worse and worse as each day passes

internetdotcom 12-06-2012 08:37 AM

I really, really, really hope there is no immunity buyout in the new CBA. GMs should have to pay the price (in real $$$ and cap hit) for signing bad deals, just as GMs who are smart, sign good deals, and manage the cap efficiently should be able to reap the benefits of it. The whole idea of a 'get out of jail free' card via immunity buyout really rubs me the wrong way.

Kane One 12-06-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by internetdotcom (Post 56292573)
I really, really, really hope there is no immunity buyout in the new CBA. GMs should have to pay the price (in real $$$ and cap hit) for signing bad deals, just as GMs who are smart, sign good deals, and manage the cap efficiently should be able to reap the benefits of it. The whole idea of a 'get out of jail free' card via immunity buyout really rubs me the wrong way.

Okay, then if teams aren't allowed to buy the players out, then old ****** deals should get grandfathered in and Redden should be allowed to stay in Hartford.

The Rangers followed the rules with Redden, but they shouldn't be allowed out of it if they change the rule in middle of the contract? That's less fair than what the Rangers did in the first place.

tsujimoto74 12-06-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by internetdotcom (Post 56292573)

They signed all those contracts under a different CBA. All of those front-loaded retirement deals, overpaid players being buried in the AHL/Europe, etc. are all within the rules. Why should the GM's be punished for the rules changing?

boredmale 12-06-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmbr_24 (Post 56292147)
I don't see the Flyers buying out Briere, not while he still is playing at the level he was last year. Briere is a pretty good player to have and since we don't know what the new CBA will look like, I would guess that Briere would get somewhere in the neighborhood of what his cap hit is now. It would probably be pretty darn easy to trade Briere at the deadline if the Flyers for some reason that would boggle my mind decided to do that, in my opinion.

How many teams wouldn't want one of the most prolific playoff goalscorers of the last few years to add to their roster if they had the cap space?

Briere is 35 now and will be 37 by time the contract ends. One reason why they might not trade him even if they fear his production won't be worth 6.5M is it would be fairly easy to trade him to a team who isn't fighting against the upper cap in his last 2 years(but he still has that NMC if he doesn't want to move) since as I pointed out he gets 5M over the final 2 years

newham89 12-06-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyflex (Post 56292541)
Leino
or Bryzgalov

I wonder of Lightning would buy out Vinny. His contract gets worse and worse as each day passes

No, they won't.

pdd 12-06-2012 09:43 AM

Crosby.

But seriously, Luongo might end up going that route.

Valic 12-06-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimzey59 (Post 56292269)
I'll go with Danny Heatley( still good but not worth 7.5 mil, didn't seem to mesh in Minnesota, pretty much replaced by Parise) being the best and Ales Hemsky and Niklas Hjalmarsson(both heavily shopped last summer) topping the 2nd teir.

If there is an immunity buyout, I expect you'll mostly overpriced 3/4 liners/ bottom pairing D men(Stajan, Gomez, Ballard, Ohlund) being the ones bought out. I doubt you'll see many headliners.

Ummm what?

He was shoppped, BEFORE signing an extension because he has value.

beowulf 12-06-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyflex (Post 56292541)
Leino
or Bryzgalov

I hope not, that would cue up the Vinny to the Habs crap again.

JuniorNelson 12-06-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eva unit zero (Post 56293669)
Crosby.

But seriously, Luongo might end up going that route.

:laugh: Crosby!

This might actually be the way forward for Vancouver. The Aquilinis signed Luongo and the hockey men have gone another direction. For men as rich as this a buy-out is an honorable way to save face.

In the event of a bought out contract I think Luongo just plays a year in Florida and retires. Conceivably he chases a ring in Philadelphia or Boston but I don't really think so.

kingdok 12-06-2012 10:09 AM

Tampa relishes of losing Lecavalier

Luck 6 12-06-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimzey59 (Post 56292269)

I don't think Heatley will be a candidate. After this shortened season, he only has 1 season left on his contract with a 5mil actual salary. You'd have to think that a cap floor team like the Islanders who may be looking for high end talent would take a chance on a guy like that, especially with that contract. Heck, even Minnesota I doubt would want to pan him off for nothing, typically they don't have the easiest time in signing 1st line talent.