HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   C Connor Hurley - Green Bay Gamblers, USHL (2013, 38th overall, Buffalo) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1303605)

Aaron Vickers 12-06-2012 07:42 AM

C Connor Hurley - Green Bay Gamblers, USHL (2013, 38th overall, Buffalo)
 
Not a lot of talk around here for high schooler Connor Hurley, who we've had pegged as a first rounder for more than a few months now. He could be the highest high schooler taken since Nick Bjugstad.

Yesterday, he committed to Notre Dame after checking out several schools. He opted to return to Edina to finish out his high school career in the hopes of a state championship instead of joining his brother in Muskegon - a tough choice no doubt.

Quote:

“Last year, we had a young team and lost only two players,” Hurley said. “This year, we are bigger, stronger and we wanted to stay together and try to win a state championship.”

If that’s not pressure enough, Hurley – 21st in Future Considerations November ranking for the 2013 NHL Draft – is attracting plenty of attention from the scouting community for his high-end hockey sense, impressive creativity and an ability to adapt to every role.

They’re just a few of the many reasons scouts are lining the stands to catch a glimpse at the Eagan product.

“It’s kind of crazy to see all the scouts at our games but I try to focus on what is going on inside the boards on the ice,” he said. “I just try to do the best I can do every shift and every game. I am fortunate to play with some very good and smart hockey players.”
http://futureconsiderations.ca/high-...h-draft-hopes/

This kid has first rounder written all over him at this stage.

HatTrick Swayze 12-06-2012 08:08 AM

He is a phenomenal talent. ND's got a great commit coming their way.

AmericanDream 12-06-2012 01:44 PM

what is funny is seeing some goon in the Craig Button thread laughing that he has him in the top 40...38th I believe?? and not laughing in the context of hes ranked too low.. at least thats what I took from it...Just like every year past, it takes a bit for US Highschoolers to get on the radar of the masses and this kid looks to be one of the best ones we have this year...

Daneurism 12-06-2012 03:55 PM

I don't think that guy ever explained if he was laughing because he was too low or too high.

Jarick 12-06-2012 03:56 PM

Go Hornets!

Scarecrow Boat 12-06-2012 04:16 PM

Let's take 2 seconds to look back at my post Mr. Negative...

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmericanDream (Post 56302813)
what is funny is seeing some goon in the Craig Button thread laughing that he has him in the top 40...38th I believe?? and not laughing in the context of hes ranked too low.. at least thats what I took from it...Just like every year past, it takes a bit for US Highschoolers to get on the radar of the masses and this kid looks to be one of the best ones we have this year...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Tilander (Post 56238925)
Connor Hurley at 38 gave me the giggles but this is one of the few Button lists I can respect. The draft is so deep this year that the rankings are going to be all over the place for everyone, it's really only the top 5-10 you can get in arguments about unless you're telling me Connor Hurley is #38 ;)

O what a goon! :shakehead

Circulartheory 12-06-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Tilander (Post 56308917)
Let's take 2 seconds to look back at my post Mr. Negative...





O what a goon! :shakehead

So I am confused...

Are you saying Hurley should not be considered close to 38? And if I am correct in my understanding, what about him makes him not worthy of 38 in your opinion?

Scarecrow Boat 12-06-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danccchan (Post 56314431)
So I am confused...

Are you saying Hurley should not be considered close to 38? And if I am correct in my understanding, what about him makes him not worthy of 38 in your opinion?

Never said that he's not worthy of 38 at all, I was actually saying the complete opposite.

So typical for hfboards, someone takes a post and turns it to be as negative as possible :help:

Edit: and I'm not talking about you dan, I see you asked the same question in the other thread and I didn't see it. I was referring to this americandream guy

Circulartheory 12-06-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Tilander (Post 56315933)
Never said that he's not worthy of 38 at all, I was actually saying the complete opposite.

So typical for hfboards, someone takes a post and turns it to be as negative as possible :help:

...actually its your own fault on this one.

In your quote, you said it gave you the giggles, but did not state whether it was a positive or negative.

The only way any reader can take your "giggles" in negative because of how deep the draft is and considering #38 is already a very high position.

Now if he was rated 60 you said the same thing, there would be a neutral reaction, but considering it was not and Hurley was a 38, the only thing that can give a poster the giggles is something that seems totally ridiculous to someone, therefore, if this high ranking must be ridiculous, it must lean into the negative spectrum.

EDIT: Either way, could you clear up your opinion? Could you share your opinion on Hurley and why he should ranked higher (or lower) than 38. What do you see in a player like Hurley?

Phion Keneuf 12-06-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danccchan (Post 56316305)
...actually its your own fault on this one.

In your quote, you said it gave you the giggles, but did not state whether it was a positive or negative.

The only way any reader can take your "giggles" in negative because of how deep the draft is and considering #38 is already a very high position.

Now if he was rated 60 you said the same thing, there would be a neutral reaction, but considering it was not and Hurley was a 38, the only thing that can give a poster the giggles is something that seems totally ridiculous to someone, therefore, if this high ranking must be ridiculous, it must lean into the negative spectrum.

EDIT: Either way, could you clear up your opinion? Could you share your opinion on Hurley and why he should ranked higher (or lower) than 38. What do you see in a player like Hurley?

That's how I read it as well

Daneurism 12-06-2012 06:46 PM

You might be reading a bit too much into an ambiguous comment.

Clarification was what was needed, not jumping to a conclusion.

Scarecrow Boat 12-06-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danccchan (Post 56316305)
...actually its your own fault on this one.

In your quote, you said it gave you the giggles, but did not state whether it was a positive or negative.

The only way any reader can take your "giggles" in negative because of how deep the draft is and considering #38 is already a very high position.

Now if he was rated 60 you said the same thing, there would be a neutral reaction, but considering it was not and Hurley was a 38, the only thing that can give a poster the giggles is something that seems totally ridiculous to someone, therefore, if this high ranking must be ridiculous, it must lean into the negative spectrum.

EDIT: Either way, could you clear up your opinion? Could you share your opinion on Hurley and why he should ranked higher (or lower) than 38. What do you see in a player like Hurley?

You can sit an egg on the goal line and Hurley can no-look pass it through 5 players from the blue line and smash the egg. Obviously an exaggeration :laugh: but if there was 1 kid that I would bet on pulling that off in the coming draft, it would be Hurley with the vision and passing ability he possesses. I find any time there's a decent forward talked about that is playing High School in Minnesota, they're usually small (5'9" - 5'11", 150-160lbs range) but Hurley even has size at 6'0" and 175-185 pounds (he's listed at a variety of weights depending where you look)

I think most who have heard of Connor Hurley think of him in the 20-25 range, maybe I'm off and Buttons right but I think if he was playing USHL full time, there would be no question he'd go in the top 25.

I can already picture Leaf fans burning down houses because they don't know who Hurley is but Brian Burke goes all out to draft another Edina grad :sarcasm:

Richiebottles 12-06-2012 08:24 PM

What is his game ? What is he good at/ bad at ? Projected type of player ?

Jaykay 12-07-2012 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers (Post 56292627)
He opted to return to Edina to finish out his high school career in the hopes of a state championship instead of joining his brother in Muskegon - a tough choice no doubt.

He's a junior this year....

tomgilbertfan 12-07-2012 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 56308071)
Go Hornets!

Bunch of cake eaters.

Scarecrow Boat 12-07-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaykay (Post 56332555)
He's a junior this year....

That's odd when read by a Canadian lol

When you turn 17 in September/October in Canada, you're in grade 12. At least that was the situation for people I know.

The Sweetness 12-07-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danccchan (Post 56316305)
...actually its your own fault on this one.

Or you could ask for a clarification instead of jumping to conclusions.

MN_Gopher 12-07-2012 12:17 PM

Problem with drafting from MNHS, its tough to get an accurate read on these kids.

Many in MN would have guessed Pat White would be simular to TJ Oshie. With regards to how they controlled the high school game and just flat out dominated. Or Paul Martin and Brian Lee.

In a deep draft it makes it even harder to "take a chance" on a high school kid. With top drafted players like White, Fischer, Sneep etc.. They haven't even made the AHL as regulars yet. While there are typically safer picks. Players playing at a higher level where you can get a better read on hos their abilities will translate.

To say any high scooler it stoo high or low is tough. Wheeler was a huge reach (?) and now he just led his NHL team in scoring.

Jaykay 12-08-2012 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Tilander (Post 56335469)
That's odd when read by a Canadian lol

When you turn 17 in September/October in Canada, you're in grade 12. At least that was the situation for people I know.

Yeah he's old for his grade, he could be a senior or "in grade 12" being born in September, but most kids (in Minnesota anyways) who turn 17 in September are in 11th grade. It's a pretty safe bet that this will be his final year of high school hockey though.

Scarecrow Boat 12-08-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaykay (Post 56362183)
Yeah he's old for his grade, he could be a senior or "in grade 12" being born in September, but most kids (in Minnesota anyways) who turn 17 in September are in 11th grade. It's a pretty safe bet that this will be his final year of high school hockey though.

So if he was an NHL ready player, he could be playing in the NHL as a grade 12 student or "high school senior" :laugh: that's so odd

More realistically, if Nathan MacKinnon was from Minnesota, he could be in the NHL next season and high school.

MN_Gopher 12-08-2012 04:49 PM

The theory is boys mature a little slower than girls. Its easier to be a mature, physically bigger smarter boy than slightly behind. So alot of Sept, Oct B-days are held back a year before they start school.

Thats why Aaron Ness, Jordan Schroeder, Phil Kessel, and others have done their junior and senior year of high school at the same time to play NCAA a year early.

firstroundbust 12-08-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richiebottles (Post 56322157)
What is his game ? What is he good at/ bad at ? Projected type of player ?

Two way center with offensive gifts. Skilled playmaker who can score as well- in his time with the NTDP he played a grinder role and did that really well. Talked to a scout who feels he's a Top 2 center- had a phenomenal interview with him. Hurley "gets it" in terms of knowing the work that has to be done in order to get himself to the NHL, and has leadership qualities.

You could see the step forward he took from last year to this in the way he plays without the puck- backchecks, finishes his checks, battles, etc.- he flat out "wants it."

I have him ahead of Erne, Fasching, McCarron, Johnson, Bailey, and a couple others.


Also, worth noting...youngest player in the draft with a 9/15/1995 birthdate.

Ovechkid08 12-08-2012 06:47 PM

Haven't seen Hurley yet this year but from limited viewings last year he didn't make much of an impression at all on me. I'm in the area for a little bit now so I'll try and catch a few of his games although I absolutely loathe the hornets.

As far as MNHS being harder to draft from I would disagree but a lifetime spent at the local rinks helps let you know who is a gamer and who isn't, Pat White was pretty obvious to those paying attention. I think the league however is one of the most poorly scouted by NHL teams in particular though and unless you have local knowledge you wouldn't be able to tell just how well a player is doing. The difference in quality of competition for games is far more drastic than other leagues and once you leave the hot spots its harder and harder to tell if a player is really good or just beating up on weaker players.

Circulartheory 12-08-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firstroundbust (Post 56376135)
Two way center with offensive gifts. Skilled playmaker who can score as well- in his time with the NTDP he played a grinder role and did that really well. Talked to a scout who feels he's a Top 2 center- had a phenomenal interview with him. Hurley "gets it" in terms of knowing the work that has to be done in order to get himself to the NHL, and has leadership qualities.

You could see the step forward he took from last year to this in the way he plays without the puck- backchecks, finishes his checks, battles, etc.- he flat out "wants it."

I have him ahead of Erne, Fasching, McCarron, Johnson, Bailey, and a couple others.


Also, worth noting...youngest player in the draft with a 9/15/1995 birthdate.

From my last record, I have him standing at 6-0 155lbs. Is he obviously weak in his game, something that he needs to improve on? Or is he stronger than what those numbers suggest?

Scarecrow Boat 12-08-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danccchan (Post 56378723)
From my last record, I have him standing at 6-0 155lbs. Is he obviously weak in his game, something that he needs to improve on? Or is he stronger than what those numbers suggest?

I've seen him listed as high as 180lbs this season but the lowest I've seen from 2012-13 season was 170lbs


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.