HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Soccer (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Euro: Euro 2020 to be Hosted Over Several Countries (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1303651)

Ceremony 12-06-2012 10:34 AM

Euro 2020 to be Hosted Over Several Countries

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...efa?CMP=twt_gu

Uefa will stage the Euro 2020 tournament in a number of cities across the continent, the European governing body decided on Thursday.

The decision was taken by Uefa's executive committee at a meeting in Lausanne.

Schalkenullvier* 12-06-2012 10:35 AM

vsk92 12-06-2012 10:46 AM

:facepalm:

Muuri 12-06-2012 11:12 AM

Meh why?

Jonimaus 12-06-2012 11:13 AM

Terrible. But in the end, meh, I'll still watch every game.

vsk92 12-06-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muuri (Post 56297687)
Meh why?

UEFA trying to make as much money out of this tournament as possible

So host teams qualify for the tournament if not then :shakehead

McSorleyStick 12-06-2012 12:08 PM

Platini needs to go.

Now

Finnish your Czech 12-06-2012 12:11 PM

:shakehead

At least we won't see countries spending millions on building huge stadiums.

Franck 12-06-2012 12:25 PM

This could turn out to be very, very good.

HajdukSplit 12-06-2012 12:57 PM

Don't know what to think, to me they have to determine the host cities BEFORE the tournament starts and every game needs to be played in a neutral venue. It wouldn't be fair in the group stage for one country to host a match and others no to

Schalkenullvier* 12-06-2012 01:42 PM

This is so stupid.

On the one hand, you can't let the german team play in Berlin all the time for example because that's obviously a huge advantage.

But holding it in a neutral venue just all but garantuees that there will be barely any actual fans of the teams in the stadium. Having it in one country at least garantuees that there will be fans travelling to said country. If a team plays its first grouo game in Milan, the second in London and the third in Vienna, would teams follow their team? Heck no. The stadium will be filled up with spaniards, british and austrians without rooting interest, and the atmosphere in the stadiums and in the cities will suffer. If Germany play Croatia in Stockholm, will they even sell out??

The above is obv the worst case scenario, I can't believe they are actually planning it this way. They HAVE to have some ideas for this.

I'm just glad EURO 16 is in France. I always wanted to travel for an international tournament and had France eyed ever since it was awarded. Could be the last chance to experience that tournament feeling for some time, with the EURO reform and the world cup possibly not returning to europe until 2030 or so.

PS: If there's one german venue, pleeeeeaaaase give it to Dortmund. **** Berlin, that stadium is a mess. Stadium in Dortmund is better, the Ruhrpott people deserve it, and the economy needs it.

Shrimper 12-06-2012 01:57 PM

Not sure how I feel about this.

HajdukSplit 12-06-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier (Post 56302745)
I'm just glad EURO 16 is in France. I always wanted to travel for an international tournament and had France eyed ever since it was awarded. Could be the last chance to experience that tournament feeling for some time, with the EURO reform and the world cup possibly not returning to europe until 2030 or so.

Platini says this is a one off, only for 2020

Turkey I think was the only serious candidate and the Turkish guy in the UEFA Executive Committee was the only one to reject this proposal. But Istanbul are also going for the 2020 Summer Olympics. There were some other ambitious bids like Ireland-Scotland-Wales or some Caucus bid (Azerbaijan-Georgia etc..) but those were probably never considered.

villevalo 12-06-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McSorleyStick (Post 56299545)
Platini needs to go.

Now

He's the next FIFA president so get used to him.

XO 12-06-2012 02:31 PM

one of the worst ideas ever honestly, talk about killing the tournament... but oh well, it's all about the money as usual :shakehead

Jonimaus 12-06-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigre (Post 56304647)
one of the worst ideas ever honestly, talk about killing the tournament... but oh well, it's all about the money as usual :shakehead

Yeah let's not go too far. The EC could be played under water and would still draw top ratings.

Panteras 12-06-2012 02:35 PM

Terrible...imagine Italy vs Germany in Madrid while Spain vs France in Berlin LULzz

Schalkenullvier* 12-06-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villevalo (Post 56304235)

FIFA world cup held in 296 nations on earth!

kov 12-06-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villevalo (Post 56304235)

If his brilliance is bringing us a Euro Cup hosted by, uh, Europe, will his World Cup 2028 be hosted by The World?

[edit: doh! should have just read the thread]

Panteras 12-06-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier (Post 56306767)
FIFA world cup held in 296 nations on earth!

England vs Canada, in.....Pyongyang

Israel vs USA, in....Tehran

:laugh:

GarretJoseph* 12-06-2012 08:49 PM

I like the idea.

My personal choices would be....

All seeded teams play all 3 group games in home nation

Group A - Spain as seeds
Cities - Madrid, Brussels

Spain vs X at Madrid
Spain vs Y at Madrid
Spain vs Z at Madrid
X vs Y at Brussels
X vs Z at Brussels
Y vs Z at Brussels

Group B - France as seeds
Cities - Paris, Vienna
France vs X at Paris
France vs Y at Paris
France vs Z at Paris
X vs Y at Vienna
X vs Z at Vienna
Y vs Z at Vienna

Group C - Germany
Cities - Berlin, Stockholm
Germany vs X at Berlin
Germany vs Y at Berlin
Germany vs Z at Berlin
X vs Y at Stockholm
X vs Z at Stockholm
Y vs Z at Stockholm

Group D - England
Cities - London, Dublin
England vs X at London
England vs Y at London
England vs Z at London
X vs Y at Dublin
X vs Z at Dublin
Y vs Z at Dublin

Group E: Italy
Cities: Rome, Prague

Group F: Russia
Cities: Moscow, St.Petersburg

2nd Round: None of the first round cities will get any 2nd round games.

Game 1 - Munich
Game 2 - Glasgow
Game 3 - Lisbon
Game 4 - Budapest
Game 5 - Warsaw
Game 6 - Barcelona
Game 7 - Bucharest
Game 8 - Hamburg

Q-Finals

Game 9 - Paris
Game 10 - Madrid
Game 11 - London
Game 12 - Berlin

S-Finals

Game 13 - London
Game 14 - London

Game 15 - 3/4 place match - Manchester

Game 16 - Euro Final - London

TheMoreYouKnow 12-06-2012 10:33 PM

It's quite stupid. Take Garret's suggestion above which seems reasonable enough. Imagine a group of say Germany, Russia, Belgium and Slovakia playing in Berlin and Stockholm. Meanwhile Sweden, Spain, Portugal and Scotland are in the Madrid/Brussels group. So Belgian fans have to travel to Berlin for the Germany match and Stockholm for the other games then say Warsaw for a 2nd round match. Meanwhile Swedish fans have to go to Madrid and Brussels, then maybe Lisbon.

It seems pointless for all those groups of fans travelling around Europe erratically while games might be played in their home countries. In the CL, Bayern don't randomly go to play Valencia in Paris. If you don't want anyone to host it, just make it home and away legs and only host the semifinals and final in neutral cities. But then we already had exactly that up to 1980.

In all reality, Platini didn't fancy any of the applicants for 2020 and realised this was an elegant way out of it. Hard to see why England or Germany didn't give it a go to be honest. I guess England figured it might ruin any chance of a World Cup any time soon but then that seems a huge pipe dream anyway given the anti-England sentiment Blatter has fostered in FIFA. Germany probably didn't want to compete vs Turkey who they try to develop as a "friend".

Evilo 12-07-2012 12:07 AM

It's becoming extremely hard for a country to host it alone.
Sooner or later, only 4-5 countries will be able to do it.

So I don't see the problem.
Spain/Italy was played in eastern europe, I don't remember the stadium being empty.

In fact I don't even understand the complaints here.
We've been complaining about the hosts being favoured even if they suck. Now no team will be favoured.

It seems to me plenty of football fans here are like the FIFA board : old men refusing any change to their habits.

Live in the Now 12-07-2012 12:12 AM

Doesn't matter to me, I'm probably not gonna go. In fact, the posters here who actually live in Europe can be more likely to go as a tournament could have games in your capital. I didn't like the idea at first but once I realized it didn't apply to me, I thought it was a good idea. What's the big deal?

buddahsmoka1 12-07-2012 12:51 AM

I think this is fantastic. The breakdown of sovereignty in Europe continues.