HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Colorado Avalanche (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Depth Chart Discussion (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1303663)

Lonewolfe2015 12-06-2012 11:08 AM

Depth Chart Discussion

Based on that 3rd line poll discussion on the main board, it looks like a lot of us aren't united in what line we view O'Reilly on. So a bit of a Depth/Line discussion if the season were to resume seems to be in order.

If we were to strictly list off our depth at each position, not line combinations I believe it would be in this order.

Landeskog - Stastny - Parenteau
McGinn - Duchene - Jones
Olver - O'Reilly - Downie
McLeod - Mitchell - Hejduk
Malone - Kobasew

Hejda - Johnson
Wilson - O'Byrne
O'Brien - Hunwick
Zanon - Elliott/Barrie

Varlamov
Giguere
Pickard/Aittokallio

So is there any reasonable argument for saying O'Reilly is our 1st/2nd line center over Stastny/Duchene? Of course one could debate semantics that we roll 3-2nd lines during the season due to our timeshare on icetime, but strictly 1st through 4th lines and 1st through 3rd pairings, this looks like the approximate depth.

I could see a Wilson/O'Brien swap argument, any of our top 3 RW's being rotated. But not a whole lot else really.

Christian Litscher 12-06-2012 11:52 AM

I would still consider him our 3rd line center when everyone's healthy. Although if Landeskog stays on his line, they may continue to get 1st/2nd line minutes.

Drizzt1 12-06-2012 05:58 PM

I believe if everyone plays to their raw potential given everything stacks up perfectly, yeah, O'Reilly is a third line center. I believe Stastny is capable of 100 points with some blue chip wingers. I believe Duchene could be close to a point - per - game, also with better wingers.

Last season though, O'Reilly shone as our best center, but that's not saying much, and in my view, an indication of our depth on wing.

Ceremony 12-06-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drizzt1 (Post 56313357)
I believe if everyone plays to their raw potential given everything stacks up perfectly, yeah, O'Reilly is a third line center. I believe Stastny is capable of 100 points with some blue chip wingers. I believe Duchene could be close to a point - per - game, also with better wingers.

Last season though, O'Reilly shone as our best center, but that's not saying much, and in my view, an indication of our depth on wing.

I agree with this. O'Reilly is our third line centre not (solely) because that's all he's good for, but because Duchene and Stastny are better than him.

Nzap 12-06-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceremony (Post 56316627)
I agree with this. O'Reilly is our third line centre not (solely) because that's all he's good for, but because Duchene and Stastny are better than him.

Offensively better I presume? (and therefore more suited as the top-2 centers)

Ceremony 12-06-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzap (Post 56317293)
Offensively better I presume? (and therefore more suited as the top-2 centers)

Oh yeah, definitely. Stastny and Duchene can both be PPG players, I don't think O'Reilly can.

Pierce Hawthorne 12-06-2012 09:22 PM

Well IMO theres way too many combinations here that can be made that would all be right in there own way. Basing strictly off of what we seen in the last 82 games of this team, it would be as follows for me.

Landeskog - Oreilly - Downie
McGinn - Stastny - Paranteau
Olver - Duchene - Jones

Defense is fairly set in stone IMO. EJ and maybe Hejda as the only true consistent Top 4 Dmen, all others as 4/5/6 guys.

But back to the forwards, that list is based solely off of the play of last season. IMO at this point theres no argument can be made to say Oreilly isnt currently our #1C. He was our best player all year last year, and was consistently put in the toughest situations, along with Landeskog. BUT, if we were to bas the depth chart off of what each player will likely provide us in a typical season, I would do it as so:

Landeskog - Stastny - Paranteau
McGinn - Duchene - Downie
Olver - Oreilly - Jones

Stastny and Duchene can both play at a 65-75 Point pace, and have proven it already, Oreilly has proven to be able to play at a 50-60 pace, but no more. If everything works out as we hope, Duchene will be an 80-85 point player, Stas returns to his 65-75 Point production, and while we really dont know Oreillys ceiling at this point, one would think 60-65 points would be more then excpected 2 seasons ago.

Basically, for potential IMO it all comes down to opinion of what these guys can do. But I think based on last season alone, Oreilly is our best C, and the most reliable in all situations of the game.

WarriorOfGandhi 12-06-2012 09:34 PM

our first line center is whoever plays with Landeskog

Pierce Hawthorne 12-07-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi (Post 56325465)
our first line center is whoever plays with Landeskog

More or less this, whoever Landy is with will likely be our Top line now and in the future.

Drizz 12-07-2012 12:03 PM

Id like to see this

Landeskog - Duchene - Parenteau, Landy can do all the work in front of the net and add the grit to the line while Parenteau can get Duchene the puck while Duchene dances around doing who knows what. Good top line going forward

Mcginn - Stastny - Jones - Keeps this line together that was unreal down the stretch and showed good chemistry

Downie - O'Reilly - Olver - Both players showed chemisty with O'Reilly and all can play the "3rd" line role although its basically 1a-1b-2-4

Nzap 12-07-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drizz (Post 56340465)

Downie - O'Reilly - Olver

Olver is an LW and Downie is an RW so those two would probably swap.

I could see Hejduk instead of Olver if he gets his touch back.

The Shermanator 12-07-2012 02:50 PM

There are so many different line combinations that really look like they'd be great on paper and deserve to be tried out. But I agree with the general consensus. What ever line Landy is on is pretty much the top line.

And it's hard to break up the lines that seemed to be working last year.
lando-ror-downie
mcginn-stastny-jones

SoundwaveIsCharisma 12-08-2012 07:03 PM

I feel like the Avs will focus on rolling three line, and the fourth will only be used sparingly.

I see it as:

Landeskog - O'Reilly - Downie
McGinn - Stastny - Jones
Olver - Duchene - Parenteau

They'll get pretty even minutes, with whatever line is rolling getting a little bit more.

BoxOfChocolates 12-08-2012 07:43 PM

McGinn-Stastny-Jones
Landeskog-Duchene-Parenteau
Downie-Sgarbossa-Hejduk
Kobasew-Mitchell-Mcleod
Olver

Wilson-EJ
Hejda-ROB
Zanon-SOB

Varlamov
Giguere

The Shermanator 12-08-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxOfChocolates (Post 56379291)
McGinn-Stastny-Jones
Downie-Sgarbossa-Hejduk
Kobasew-Mitchell-Mcleod
Olver

Wilson-EJ
Hejda-ROB
Zanon-SOB

Varlamov
Giguere

Have some faith.

Nzap 12-08-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxOfChocolates (Post 56379291)
McGinn-Stastny-Jones
Downie-Sgarbossa-Hejduk
Kobasew-Mitchell-Mcleod
Olver

Wilson-EJ
Hejda-ROB
Zanon-SOB

Varlamov
Giguere

If Sgarby isn't ready yet for the NHL, Mitchell could be upgraded to the third line C and Malone/Olver could take over the 4th line C?

Otherwise sounds about right.

BoxOfChocolates 12-08-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Shermanator (Post 56379719)
Have some faith.

Yeah you're right. Wilson won't have to be in the lineup once we've acquired the top pairing d-man from the ROR trade.

Believe in Sherman :handclap:

ABasin 12-08-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceremony (Post 56316627)

Aside from skating, in what facet of the game is Duchene better than O'R?

ABasin 12-08-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 (Post 56297553)
Based on that 3rd line poll discussion on the main board, it looks like a lot of us aren't united in what line we view O'Reilly on. So a bit of a Depth/Line discussion if the season were to resume seems to be in order.

If we were to strictly list off our depth at each position, not line combinations I believe it would be in this order.

Landeskog - Stastny - Parenteau
McGinn - Duchene - Jones
Olver - O'Reilly - Downie
McLeod - Mitchell - Hejduk
Malone - Kobasew

Hejda - Johnson
Wilson - O'Byrne
O'Brien - Hunwick
Zanon - Elliott/Barrie

Varlamov
Giguere
Pickard/Aittokallio

So is there any reasonable argument for saying O'Reilly is our 1st/2nd line center over Stastny/Duchene? Of course one could debate semantics that we roll 3-2nd lines during the season due to our timeshare on icetime, but strictly 1st through 4th lines and 1st through 3rd pairings, this looks like the approximate depth.

I could see a Wilson/O'Brien swap argument, any of our top 3 RW's being rotated. But not a whole lot else really.

Outside of EJ and possibly Hejda, I would describe the entire Avs defensive corps as 'depth'.

As for the forwards....the Avs have put together a roster that is actually pretty interesting. Is there really a true 1st line, 2nd line, etc? If you look at the 3 centers you have there, and the top 5 wings, there are an awful lot of interchangeable parts there - where there isn't a whole lot of difference between the "1st" line guy and the "3rd" line guy. IMO, the obvious exception being Landeskog. I suspect that guy is going to distance himself from the rest of the wing crowd relatively quickly.

ABasin 12-08-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma (Post 56378167)
I feel like the Avs will focus on rolling three line, and the fourth will only be used sparingly.

I see it as:

Landeskog - O'Reilly - Downie
McGinn - Stastny - Jones
Olver - Duchene - Parenteau

They'll get pretty even minutes, with whatever line is rolling getting a little bit more.

That third line would get checked into dust. Duchene is going to need some size on at least one of his wings.

Drizzt1 12-08-2012 09:20 PM

A few points:

+ I love how people are either retiring Hejduk, or relegating him to the 4th line with the scrappers. He had a SHOCKING year by his standards last season, and was still our 4th best producer, and after being shunted on a line with McClement and Mcleod. Give him a chance guys. I think he deserves that.

+ Ryan O'Reilly will be re-signed to a 4 year deal imo.

+ Our defense is garbage. Worst in league. Apart from Johnson, we don't have much. Hejda is being grossly over rated.

+ We still need a marquee, blue chip winger (Semin would have been ideal), I would have liked to have kept one of Fleishmann or Mueller, who we let go for nothing, after giving up assets to acquire them, and we still need number one / two defensemen, that is a quality puck moving defensemen - the likes of Hunwick, Zanon and co. doesn't cut the mustard.

HockeyFan100 12-09-2012 04:46 AM

Some lines I'd like to see if season gets back in action.

Landeskog - Stastny - Jones
Parenteau - Duchene - Downie
McGinn - O'Reilly - Hejduk
McLeod - Mitchell - Kobasew
(Olver)

Wilson - Johnson
Hejda - O'Brien
O'Bryne - Zanon
(Hunwick)

Varlamov
Giguere

Ceremony 12-09-2012 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ABasin (Post 56381557)
Aside from skating, in what facet of the game is Duchene better than O'R?

Passing, shooting, offensive vision, skill... pretty much everywhere aside from forechecking and physicality.

Avs71 12-09-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceremony (Post 56388881)
Passing, shooting, offensive vision, skill... pretty much everywhere aside from forechecking and physicality.

I wouldn't say O'Reilly is more physical, he's just more aggressive in his puck pursuit.

Ivan13 12-09-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceremony (Post 56388881)

And hockey IQ, anticipation, defensive zone awareness, utilizing his linemates, faceoffs, taking less penalties, backchecking, effort etc.