HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Polls - (hockey-related only) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Owners or Players? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1304401)

FuriousSenator 12-07-2012 05:20 PM

Owners or Players?

After the latest debacle, let's tabulate everyone's opinions again. Do you side with the players or owners right now?

It would be interesting if someone took the results of all these polls and put them together in a nice graph or chart timeline coupled with the corresponding events.

Ginu 12-07-2012 05:23 PM

Players- NHLPA is right that the variance clause is bad for the middle group of players which makes up a large chunk of the group. If the NHL wasn't so militant and didn't just want the NHLPA to accept all three items unilaterally, we'd still be negotiating.

Colt45Blast 12-07-2012 05:25 PM

I'm still in neutral mode. So neither.

saskriders 12-07-2012 05:28 PM

Neither

Brian Cadle Fan 12-07-2012 05:29 PM

You need a neither option.

They worked out the last agreement without my help. They can work this one out without me investing any emotion for either side.

When they figure it out, I'm ready to watch some hockey.

Habsterix* 12-07-2012 05:50 PM

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=411173

Eisen 12-07-2012 05:52 PM

After the last lockout, where I was a 100% owners, this time I'm for the players. The players took the brunt last time. And then the owners started out dishing insane contracts again. The financial debacle this time is a 100% their fault. They had a solid ground and they pissed it away.

Lobstertainment 12-07-2012 05:55 PM

I wasn't on either side untill this week but now. Owners all the way.

I hope they paint "Thank You Gary" on the ice this time and I want the players booed when they touch the puck. and the best part would be if Bettman got cheers when he presents the cup or at the draft.

I know would never happen but the players deserve that humbling.

Melnyks Mirage 12-07-2012 05:55 PM

Always supported the owners and even moreso now.

Players need to get the equation correct:

They get the bucks and the fan adulation, the benefits on and off the ice.
Owners pay the freight and "win" CBA battles.

Playres can't win this, never will win outside of seeing their contract money vary (potentially upward) with a new CBA. The sooner they realize this, the sooner they sign.

If it takes losing the 2013-2014 season too...

Lim Ran 12-07-2012 06:04 PM

Neither.

Usually I'd side with the players by default, mostly because they're only millionaires in a fight with billionaires. But Nick Kypreos' rant on Hockey Central At Noon the other day put me ever so squarely in the "neither" column (though, to be honest, I was already pretty much there).

I didn't really want to believe that hockey players were that spoiled and out of touch with reality... but to hear Kypreos sit there and put down every hard working person in the country and talk about hockey players as if they make nothing have it so very rough compared to "normal people" ... it was amazing. I was floored.

In the end, they're all fighting over dollars that are spent on the NHL by hard working parents of sick children who wanted a jersey for Christmas or money pooled together for public school trips or... whatever. There are a million examples like that. They're clutching greedily at every single one of those dollars, and it's embarrassing to watch. In fact, after watching the whole thing in disgust, I couldn't possibly imagine spending another cent on the NHL in the future, and I hope a lot of people feel the same way.

MessierII 12-07-2012 06:14 PM

Neither

OmniSens 12-07-2012 06:35 PM

Bettman scared me last night. So I'll go with the Owners:laugh:

Benny FTW 12-07-2012 06:38 PM

Players want as much money as possible. Doesnt care about the league long-term.

Owners want money for everyone and a long-term healthy league.

Owners quite easily.

McTank 12-07-2012 07:28 PM

Neither want to give up a little money to play hockey

Trap Jesus 12-07-2012 07:31 PM

Owners, but both are largely to blame.

vanwest 12-07-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benny FTW (Post 56351201)
Players want as much money as possible. Doesnt care about the league long-term.

Owners want money for everyone and a long-term healthy league.

Owners quite easily.

Yes, those altruistic owners. Just doing it for the good of the league and the players just want to play.
Tough call. I voted players because I think that they've given the owners about 90% of what they need.

Machinehead 12-07-2012 07:36 PM

Players AINEC.

Players bring me joy with what they do on the ice. At least when they do something stupid [like hire Don Fehr] there's something of a tradeoff there.

What has an owner ever done for me? Raise ticket prices.

TheHudlinator 12-07-2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Machinehead (Post 56352915)
Players AINEC.

Players bring me joy with what they do on the ice. At least when they do something stupid [like hire Don Fehr] there's something of a tradeoff there.

What has an owner ever done for me? Raise ticket prices.

Pay the players that bring you joy? Or else they would be playing else where.

Machinehead 12-07-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGleninator (Post 56353219)
Pay the players that bring you joy?

Which has nothing to do with the fans filling the arena I'm sure. Cause a hockey team is a philanthropy right out of the owners pockets amirite?

Kitten Mittons 12-07-2012 07:49 PM

Can we make a timeline of these types of polls to see how HF's hive mind has been shifting? Maybe even do a graph taking into account how decisive each victory in polls was.

y axis = percentage in favor; - players +owners
x axis = date

MeowLeafs 12-07-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons (Post 56353309)
Can we make a timeline of these types of polls to see how HF's hive mind has been shifting? Maybe even do a graph taking into account how decisive each victory in polls was.

y axis = percentage in favor; - players +owners
x axis = date

I'd imagine the number of people on the player's side are decreasing over time.

Kitten Mittons 12-07-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeowLeafs (Post 56353383)
I'd imagine the number of people on the player's side are decreasing over time.

I think there was one or two polls where the players won. I think it'd be parabola shaped (don't quote me, mod).

Elever 12-07-2012 07:53 PM

I like players. They're not born rich, they're born like the avg person trying to get rich based on their abilities.

The more they earn the more power to them. However the results of this poll are unsurprising because the elite have managed to make all unions look evil now and people will side with whichever side looks like it'll get hockey back (atm the owners based on their PR).

Four Boilermakers 12-07-2012 07:55 PM

As a fan, I can't see an argument for wanting the players to win. The better the offer is for the owners, the healthier the league will be and the less likely we will be in a difficult position like this in the future.

Machinehead 12-07-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96 (Post 56353489)
As a fan, I can't see an argument for wanting the players to win. The better the offer is for the owners, the healthier the league will be and the less likely we will be in a difficult position like this in the future.

The owners hit the jackpot in the last deal and look where we are 8 years later...