HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Hot new rumour: 3 way deal: Cujo, Jagr, Kolzig (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=13046)

jmelm 09-21-2003 06:40 AM

Hot new rumour: 3 way deal: Cujo, Jagr, Kolzig

Don't ask me the source, because I'm not 100% sure of its origins, but I think it comes from someone within the Detroit organization.

And, on that note, spare me the cynicism of the lack of legitimacy of the source, etc.

Here it is:

To the Red Wings: Jaromir Jagr

To the Caps: Curtis Joseph, a "young" defenseman (from Colorado)

To Colorado: Olaf Kolzig

This deal makes sense on a # of levels:

1) Red Wings get rid of Joseph, which is a must. They get Jagr, who is signed long-term, but he is still potentially the league's best player when he is on his game, and Detroit does not really have any other long-term financial commitments besides Darrian Hatcher. The Red Wings can certainly afford one big contract, and perhaps they are not worried about a salary cap issue if they think contracts signed before the new CBA are "grandfathered". Red Wings fans will have an established superstar to cheer for after Yzerman, Hull, Chelios and others are gone.

2) Capitals get rid of their long-term contract which they cannot afford to keep.

3) Colorado gets their goalie.

4) So why would Washington move Kolzig for an older, more expensive goalie? Good question. The best answer than I can come up with is that they figure that Joseph will get them through this season, and potentially stand on his head--as he often does in the regular season--and get them into the playoffs, = more revenue. Plus, while Joseph is almost done career wise, they do have Maxime Ouellet whom they probably feel is ready to make an impact in the NHL, at least after the lock-out, and be their goaltender of the future.

AND, they get a "young defenseman" which is certainly a need of theirs to go along with Emenger. My guess is that this defenseman is either Martin Skoula or Keith Ballard. Colorado needs to give something up to get something, and a quality goalie for a bright, young dman fits both team's needs.

So, let the firing begin...

IkeaMonkey* 09-21-2003 06:46 AM

Colorado gets the best player in the deal(with a decent contract) and only has to give up a "young" defenseman? AHAHHAHHASDASHDHAHASSHDHASHAHAHAHASAHSHDHASDHAHAHH SDHASDASHHAHASDHAHSHAHAHAAHAHHAHSDHASHDHAHAHAHAHAH SADSDHASHSHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH

Vincent Vega 09-21-2003 06:50 AM

The Wings DONT want Jagr! God damnit! They have said soooo many times they are looking for a center! Is Jagr a center? NO! He is an overpaid underproducing winger!

Sotnos 09-21-2003 06:51 AM

Isn't this basically the same old 3-way "rumor" (never verified anywhere) that's been floating around for a month now?

McCabe24 09-21-2003 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokEGoalie
Colorado gets the best player in the deal(with a decent contract) and only has to give up a "young" defenseman? AHAHHAHHASDASHDHAHASSHDHASHAHAHAHASAHSHDHASDHAHAHH SDHASDASHHAHASDHAHSHAHAHAAHAHHAHSDHASHDHAHAHAHAHAH SADSDHASHSHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH

that's a good point....I dont we'll see any Keith Ballard for Olaf Kolzig deals too soon....the only way this could possibly work is if the young defenceman is Morris....

It really depends if PL believes he needs an upgrade in net enough to weaken the defence even more....

Jori 09-21-2003 06:55 AM

How does Ballard help Washington now when he probably will be at Minnesota for the next two years?

All this is just a different spin on an old and annoying trade rumor. You expect us to take this serious when the source looks "less" than legitimate?

Spiffy 09-21-2003 07:02 AM

To Red Wings: Lang, 3rd pick from WAS
To Capitals: Joseph, Skoula 4th pick from COL
To Colorado: Olaf Kölzig

Edit: added 4th pick to capitals

Legionnaire 09-21-2003 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sotnos
Isn't this basically the same old 3-way "rumor" (never verified anywhere) that's been floating around for a month now?

Exactly.

p.l.f. 09-21-2003 07:08 AM

why would the caps want a money grabber like cujo?

Kukla 09-21-2003 07:47 AM

Last week Holland was on Detroit radio and said "We have no interest in Jagr". End of story!!!

garry1221 09-21-2003 08:11 AM

1. this IS NOT new so anyone who is nuts enough to think it is, THINK AGAIN

2. JAGR AINT COMIN HERE ... NOT IN ANYONES WILDEST DREAMS

3. what problems does this solve of any teams?..... and who really thinks skoula's enough to land kolzig

can we at least agree that IF and it's a BIG IF this proposal shows up again that it at least be sensible and meet every team's needs

Peter 09-21-2003 08:31 AM

Quote:

Yes it is the same rumor.

But I don't know what you mean about it "never being verified anywhere." Many links were posted to different media types and one GM (Brian Burke) who talked about it during many different times these past few weeks.

Tuomo Ruutu's Ego 09-21-2003 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p.l.f.
why would the caps want a money grabber like cujo?

Oh what a money grabber he is, took LESS money to go to Detroit rather than stay in Toronto. Geesh, he's just in it for the money! :lol:

p.l.f. 09-21-2003 09:26 AM

ri...ight
and what he got from the wings was minimum wage.
too much for washington

Vatican Roulette 09-21-2003 09:42 AM

Quote:

remember, where's there's smoke, there's a dude smoking pot.

Evilo 09-21-2003 10:01 AM

Well a few thougts :
I don't bite that "rumor" at all.

However...
When someone says Jagr is unproductive : OUCH!!!

When someone says Detroit won't get Jagr because Holland said so : OUCH!!!

It seems when there's thread with a stupid first post on it, people feel obliged to be as stupid...

CNote 09-21-2003 01:14 PM

...it's pretty much a certainty that Kolzig will go nowhere because his child gets special medical treatment only available in Washington DC.

cyrisweb 09-21-2003 01:49 PM

If the Avs want Kolzig they will have to offer up much more than just Skoula..