HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   St. Louis vs NYR SCF matchup-who wins? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1305327)

Kris Chreider 12-08-2012 11:22 AM

St. Louis vs NYR SCF matchup-who wins?

These are the teams I've seen mentioned often as the two finalists. The lockout has me craving hockey, discuss.

STL Blues Fan 12-08-2012 11:33 AM

As much as I'd like to say the Blues would dominate, we need to have a season first!!!

Zippy316 12-08-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kris Chreider (Post 56367125)
These are the teams I've seen mentioned often as the two finalists. The lockout has me craving hockey, discuss.

Too early to say this.

The parity in this league is way to close to say two teams are clear cut winners. I know you're not saying that, but it wouldn't shock me if both the Rangers and the Blues lose in the first round.

It's really all about whoever is playing hot (See Devils and Kings) when the playoffs roll around. There were times in 2011-2012 when no one thought the Bruins, Rangers, or Penguins were going to be beaten, and two out of three lost in the first round, with one almost losing in the first round.

If a STL/NYR match-up came along, I think it's way too close to call. Both teams are equally similar, Rangers have more skill than Blues have in their top-six, but Blues have a solid group of two-way players, Tarasenko can definitely change that though. Defensively, both have solid top-fours, but their bottom pairing is a bit weak. Goaltending Lundqvist has the edge, but if Halak and/or Elliot get hot, they can play just as good as him.

P U L L H A R D 12-08-2012 11:38 AM

Anyone other than the fans of the 28 other teams in the NHL. I'd fall asleep before the end of the 2nd period in every game of that series.

Frank Garrett 12-08-2012 11:46 AM

St. Louis. The Rangers always choke unless they have Messier plus a completely stacked lineup.

Islanderfan17 12-08-2012 11:53 AM

St. Louis, the Rangers are good but they always find a way to choke. I think St. Louis would match up perfectly against them too.

Kris Chreider 12-08-2012 11:54 AM

They do have a stacked lineup.....

craigcaulks* 12-08-2012 11:58 AM

We'd all be begging to watch the far more exciting LA/NJ series.

Dr Robot 12-08-2012 12:29 PM

As much as id like the blues to just roll through, even though this is a brand new team, we have 20ish years of early playoff exits on our resume. It could be a choke-off.

flashy 12-08-2012 12:48 PM

I cant tell you who would win but I can tell you who loses. The fans that have to watch that incredibly boring series.

mikitas donut 12-08-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PACKY D ELEPHANT (Post 56369015)
I cant tell you who would win but I can tell you who loses. The fans that have to watch that incredibly boring series.

Really. People whined about the last final being boring (I wasn't bored), people would complain endlessly about how boring it is. Or maybe they wouldn't because it's the Rangers and they'd actually watch it instead of assume it was a trapfest.

Oberyn 12-08-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Yeah I'm sure Oiler fans are more content with watching their team lose game after game.

Scottyk9 12-08-2012 12:58 PM

The Rangers are my pick to win it all if they stay healthy regardless of who they play and as a Devil fan this saddens me greatly.

5RingsAndABeer 12-08-2012 01:21 PM

I'd say the Rangers. They are truly stacked at multiple positions. Even if they had an average goalie, they'd still be contenders, IMO.

The Note 12-08-2012 01:29 PM

Came in expecting boring series comments, wasn't disappointed. The Rangers would probably win as much as it pains me to say, Lundqvist would be the difference IMO.

haveandare 12-08-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Yeah man, modern NHL hockey is so boring that you're talking about it on a message board 80 something days into a lockout.

Not to mention I'd rather watched NYR or STL play competent hockey than watch the oilers do whatever it is they're doing.

Impossible to say who would win though - anyone can win the playoffs, and that's only more true for the SCF once two teams get there.

flashy 12-08-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikitas donut (Post 56369139)
Really. People whined about the last final being boring (I wasn't bored), people would complain endlessly about how boring it is. Or maybe they wouldn't because it's the Rangers and they'd actually watch it instead of assume it was a trapfest.

Well in my opinion it was boring but in all honesty our opinions don't mean anything for the general fan. By going by what you said and i've noticed there was a general consensus that it wasn't an exciting series.

we've all noticed the blue's "aggressive forecheck" and the rangers 6 man goalie system. Its not exciting hockey.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoofSlashFoig (Post 56369199)
Yeah I'm sure Oiler fans are more content with watching their team lose game after game.

Ah yes, a the mandatory blues fan fanbase attack when they're called boring.

flashy 12-08-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haveandare (Post 56370043)
Yeah man, modern NHL hockey is so boring that you're talking about it on a message board 80 something days into a lockout.

Not to mention I'd rather watched NYR or STL play competent hockey than watch the oilers do whatever it is they're doing.

Impossible to say who would win though - anyone can win the playoffs, and that's only more true for the SCF once two teams get there.

Terrible argument. Faulty logic-- implying I said something I didn't.

You see here, he says that:
Quote:

Now notice that I never said modern NHL hockey was boring in my statement or even implied it was. I said that this potential match up would be boring.

Then this:
Quote:

What does that have to do with this thread exactly?

Rangers4Life74 12-08-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zippy316 (Post 56367527)
Goaltending Lundqvist has the edge, but if Halak and/or Elliot get hot, they can play just as good as him.

in a 7 game series,no chance can they match/play as good as Lundqvist.

deckercky 12-08-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangers4Life74 (Post 56372019)
in a 7 game series,no chance can they match/play as good as Lundqvist.

7 games is a tiny sample size for a good goalie to outplay a great goalie - pretty sure Halak's playoff performances have exceeded any playoff performances Lundqvist has ever had.

Kane One 12-08-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deckercky (Post 56373181)
7 games is a tiny sample size for a good goalie to outplay a great goalie - pretty sure Halak's playoff performances have exceeded any playoff performances Lundqvist has ever had.

How was Lundqvist's 2011-12 playoffs not better than Halak's 2009-10?

Halak: 9-9, 2.55 GAA, .923 SVP
Lundqvist: 10-10, 1.82 GAA, .931 SVP

MastuhNinks 12-08-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaneone (Post 56373223)
How was Lundqvist's 2011-12 playoffs not better than Halak's 2009-10?

Halak: 9-9, 2.55 GAA, .923 SVP
Lundqvist: 10-10, 1.82 GAA, .931 SVP

Lundqvist might have had the better statistical performance but throughout the first 2 rounds Halak absolutely carried the team in Gigeure-esque fashion. I'm not doubting that Lundqvist is the Rangers most important player, but watching both players, I think Halak's performance was better as well. That Montreal team had no business being in the Conference Final, let alone getting through Washington and Pittsburgh to do it. Halak didn't have the best Conference Final, but Philly was shredding Montreal's defense, I'm curious as to what Halak's SV% was through the first two rounds was. Also impressive is that not only was his save percentage high, but he faced like 40+ shots a game in the first round. Obviously we can't just ignore when Halak's stats dipped, but I think Halak carrying his team nearly single-handedly through two rounds is more impressive than Lundqvist being consistently great throughout three rounds.

CanucksSayEh 12-08-2012 03:49 PM

I think the Blues would get ripped in 5 games. Nothin against St.Lu but I didn't think they were close to as good as their seed last year and am not worried about them next season. But wut do i know.

Bruv 12-08-2012 03:51 PM

Blooze.

stan the caddy 12-08-2012 03:55 PM

That would be an awesome match-up. Rangers win if Gaborik is playing healthy.