HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Geek Emporium (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   Facebook Privacy Question (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1305347)

invictus 12-08-2012 01:21 PM

Facebook Privacy Question
 
So, this came up at work yesterday, and nobody knew the answer. I thought maybe a wise person here did.

We all know privacy is a bit of a sham in the online world, and even the most private of security settings have loopholes for companies that are interested enough to poke around in your profile.

So, we got to discussing what happens when you delete or deactivate your profile.

Presumably, if you actually do 100% delete your profile, it is gone and any scandals involving pictures you posted or inappropriate comments you made disappear. Does that seem correct?

We were just unsure about deactivating a profile. If you deactivate, it can still be brought back at a later date. However, what about that intervening time? Is it still searchable by the powers that be? Or does it really seem just as deleted as a real deletion, and all your idiotic choices you chose to post on social media are not possible to find?

DisgruntledHawkFan 12-08-2012 01:59 PM

It's never deleted. If you ever re-active your account everything is back.

MainDotC 12-08-2012 02:08 PM

Why did you begin your discussion with "So"? Were you already in conversation or is this topic continued from another thread ?

Ceremony 12-08-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaindotC (Post 56369535)
Why did you begin your discussion with "So"? Were you already in conversation or is this topic continued from another thread ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by invictus (Post 56368395)
So, this came up at work yesterday

:teach2:

invictus 12-08-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan (Post 56369325)
It's never deleted. If you ever re-active your account everything is back.

Really? I thought there were two distinct options. I've had my Facebook for years and never wanted to delete it or anything. I just thought there was a "Full deletion" option and a "temporary disabling" one.

It came up because we had a staff appreciation last night, and there was a lot of teasing about who would get fired for out-drinking the executive director and how we'd have to delete our Facebooks to hide the evidence from future employers :laugh:

But, I guess if everything is always there....well, that is kind of creepy actually. Haha.

kr580 12-08-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan (Post 56369325)
It's never deleted. If you ever re-active your account everything is back.

How do I permanently delete my account?

Stanley Foobrick 12-08-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by invictus (Post 56369717)
Really? I thought there were two distinct options. I've had my Facebook for years and never wanted to delete it or anything. I just thought there was a "Full deletion" option and a "temporary disabling" one.

It came up because we had a staff appreciation last night, and there was a lot of teasing about who would get fired for out-drinking the executive director and how we'd have to delete our Facebooks to hide the evidence from future employers :laugh:

But, I guess if everything is always there....well, that is kind of creepy actually. Haha.

Those pics are never going away, might want to click link....

http://resumegenius.com/?gclid=CPCLr...FcU-MgodtAMA6Q

:laugh:

MainDotC 12-08-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceremony (Post 56369625)
:teach2:

Damn straight

Jacob8hockey* 12-08-2012 03:32 PM

One pathetic thing I recently learned about Facebook is you can take anyone account that you want as long as you have 2 friends willing to help out.

Facebook gives you the option if you 'forgot your email password' to have "3 trusted friends" have codes sent to them and then submitting all 3 to recover the account. Now, all someone techincally has to do is have 3 people start sending friend requests to people and you can have their account within minutes. It is honestly one of the dumbest things they could have added and I hope it gets removed.


Now that is a REAL security issue.

Stanley Foobrick 12-08-2012 03:44 PM

I have the most amazing security on my Facebook account. No one can access it......

Dave 12-08-2012 03:50 PM

Once you put it on facebook they own it, why would they delete it?

Morozov 12-08-2012 05:23 PM

If you "delete" your profile then employers/people aren't going to be finding your pictures.

But yes the pictures aren't "gone", Facebook owns them.

invictus 12-08-2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeafsJacob8 (Post 56372057)
One pathetic thing I recently learned about Facebook is you can take anyone account that you want as long as you have 2 friends willing to help out.

Facebook gives you the option if you 'forgot your email password' to have "3 trusted friends" have codes sent to them and then submitting all 3 to recover the account. Now, all someone techincally has to do is have 3 people start sending friend requests to people and you can have their account within minutes. It is honestly one of the dumbest things they could have added and I hope it gets removed.


Now that is a REAL security issue.

Really? that is pretty weird. I could make up 3 fake hotmail accounts and just use them to get the password of everyone I know? :laugh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morozov (Post 56374439)
If you "delete" your profile then employers/people aren't going to be finding your pictures.

But yes the pictures aren't "gone", Facebook owns them.

Right, but what about the deactivate choice? If you put your account in that sort of "hibernate" status, is it still inaccessible to any random company/person in the interim?

Morozov 12-08-2012 11:26 PM

Sorry yeah that's what I meant. If you delete/deactivate your profile then Facebook will still have that content, but me, or your boss, or your wife or whoever aren't going to be able to access it.

invictus 12-08-2012 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morozov (Post 56383789)
Sorry yeah that's what I meant. If you delete/deactivate your profile then Facebook will still have that content, but me, or your boss, or your wife or whoever aren't going to be able to access it.

Oh, nice. Sorry for misunderstanding. That is cool. I mean, I plan on being at my job a while, but if I ever apply for the FBI or something, I'll just throw that ***** on deactivate :laugh: Foolproof!

Jacob8hockey* 12-09-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by invictus (Post 56383591)
Really? that is pretty weird. I could make up 3 fake hotmail accounts and just use them to get the password of everyone I know? :laugh:


Right, but what about the deactivate choice? If you put your account in that sort of "hibernate" status, is it still inaccessible to any random company/person in the interim?

Well you would have to be friends with the target on Facebook with all 3 accounts, but if you were then you could.

And to the other guy, your 'security' doesn't matter at all here, it is all about Facebook's recover system. If you don't believe me try to recover your own account and click on the "No longer have access to these?" spot.

Orpheus 12-10-2012 12:47 PM

The general rule of thumb is this:

Once you upload something to the internet, it's there forever.

The only question is how hard you want to search for it.

Even "permanently deleted" files from things like facebook are still on their servers or elsewhere on the internet at some point.

Facebook has no legal compulsion to truly delete your stuff by the way, why would they delete property they now own? They most likely put it on a storage server, or an offline server, but your info is not gone.

WhipNash27 12-10-2012 01:05 PM

Anything that you put online that is tied to your name will stick to you forever. Heck, if any of your usernames get tied to your real name then people can find even more about you. Imagine your employer finding out about your HFBoards name and coming and reading all of your posts :laugh:.

invictus 12-10-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhipNash27 (Post 56421805)
Anything that you put online that is tied to your name will stick to you forever. Heck, if any of your usernames get tied to your real name then people can find even more about you. Imagine your employer finding out about your HFBoards name and coming and reading all of your posts :laugh:.

A friend figured out my username once when I stayed logged on accidentally and let him borrow my laptop. That was kind of awkward because I have a tendency to ramble in OT threads on here :laugh:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.