HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Brendan Smith (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1305669)

FrankUllah 12-09-2012 09:21 AM

Brendan Smith

Just wanna know how people value him at this point in time.

Vankiller Whale 12-09-2012 09:24 AM

It's likely he wouldn't be traded except in a package for a legit top-pairing defenseman.

blinkman360 12-09-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankUllah (Post 56390171)
Just wanna know how people value him at this point in time.

Probably relatively high. I'll just predict how this will go:

Fan A) I'll give you Player X for Smith.

Wings Fan) There's no way you're getting Smith for that. We'd only accept a guy like Player Y or Player Z for Smth.

Fan A) You really think Smith is worth Player Y or Z? You're insane.

Wings Fan) Not saying he's worth Player Y or Z, but that's the only way we'd trade him.

Fan A) Good luck. The best you'll get is probably my offer of Player X.

Wings Fan) Well fine. We'll just keep him then. I'm perfectly happy with that.

Fan A) Your mom smells.

and so on and so on...

Wolverine Wings 12-09-2012 11:03 AM

NFS.

Unless he is in a package for a #1 D.

/thread.

Drew311 12-09-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale (Post 56390241)
It's likely he wouldn't be traded except in a package for a legit top-pairing defenseman.

I don't understand why people post stuff like this. This isn't what the OP is asking, he's simply gauging Smith's value on the trade market.

Leafs For Life* 12-09-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kemisti (Post 56391263)
Who said he's going to be top 10 D?

I've seen some of your fans posting it. Gets a lot of backfire also.

Nyquist 12-09-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinkman360 (Post 56390285)

Wings Fan) There's no way you're getting Smith for that. We'd only accept a guy like Player Y or Player Z for Smth.

Wings Fan) Not saying he's worth Player Y or Z, but that's the only way we'd trade him.

Fan A) Your mom smells.

and so on and so on...

This is exactly how I feel. We've watched him develop for quite a while now and most wings fans are pretty attached to him. The only way I'd want to see him dealt is for a legit, young top pairing dman. Would he fetch that? Probably not.

Leaf Rocket 12-09-2012 01:24 PM

Not many from the Wings organization will move him, he's something special for sure. If the leafs are overly impressed with a guy like Gardiner in the team, smith for the wings will be even better according to many due to his offensive skill.

Wingsfan2965* 12-09-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leaffan16 (Post 56393861)
I've seen some of your fans posting it. Gets a lot of backfire also.

Smith isn't gonna be a #1 D-man in the sense that he wont be the guy you go to to kill a penalty in OT.

However, I do see him as a Green/Yandle type player. Maybe he never peaks offensively like Green did, but I could easily see him getting 40-50 point seasons regularly.

If anybody in Detroit is hoping our prospects to be giants defensively, they probably ought to pay more attention to guys like Ouellet, Marchenko or Almqvist.

Anchor Town 12-09-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 (Post 56398767)

Smith isn't gonna be a #1 D-man in the sense that he wont be the guy you go to to kill a penalty in OT.

However, I do see him as a Green/Yandle type player. Maybe he never peaks offensively like Green did, but I could easily see him getting 40-50 point seasons regularly.

If anybody in Detroit is hoping our prospects to be giants defensively, they probably ought to pay more attention to guys like Ouellet, Marchenko or Almqvist.

You lost all credibility at Almqvist. He is 175 lbs and purely an offensive defenseman

Wingsfan2965* 12-09-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the banks (Post 56399113)
You lost all credibility at Almqvist. He is 175 lbs and purely an offensive defenseman

I forgot, you have to be big to be a good defenseman. God knows Lidstrom was monstrous! (Not to mention Almqvist has put on a decent amount of weight since he was drafted... As do most Wings prospects)

While I realize plus minus is a somewhat skewed statistic, Almqvist did lead the SEL two years ago, despite not doing that well offensively, and I believe he was close to leading last year as well. Aside from that, he's highly praised for his Hockey IQ.

So yes, my credibility is gone. :shakehead

InjuredChoker 12-09-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 (Post 56399261)
I forgot, you have to be big to be a good defenseman. God knows Lidstrom was monstrous! (Not to mention Almqvist has put on a decent amount of weight since he was drafted... As do most Wings prospects)

While I realize plus minus is a somewhat skewed statistic, Almqvist did lead the SEL two years ago, despite not doing that well offensively, and I believe he was close to leading last year as well. Aside from that, he's highly praised for his Hockey IQ.

So yes, my credibility is gone. :shakehead

Lidström was 2 inches taller and a lot heavier. He could hold he's own in front of the net.

Almqvist can put up the points but he's D is below average imo.

Not that he's bust but I think we are in trouble if Smith can't be better defensively than Almqvist.

I would also rank Bäckman above Almqvist.

The Nose 12-09-2012 04:11 PM

Well that went off track rather quickly.

Wingsfan2965* 12-09-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kemisti (Post 56401257)
Lidström was 2 inches taller and a lot heavier. He could hold he's own in front of the net.

I'm seeing him listed at about 193. Almqvist has actually grown in height since being drafted and has put on weight. Either way, he falls in line with almost every Wings pick in that he's underweight when he was drafted.

Regardless, he's got time to put on the weight if he wants to make it in the NHL, because I don't expect that he'd be up for a few more years anyways. (And might never get the chance anyway because Smith and Kronwall should be here for awhile, while Ouellet and Sproul are developing nicely)

Quote:

Almqvist can put up the points but he's D is below average imo.

I haven't seen him play but from what I've read he's got a very good hockey sense.

Quote:

Not that he's bust but I think we are in trouble if Smith can't be better defensively than Almqvist.

If anybody's expecting Smith to be our savior defensively they're going to be sadly disappointed.

Quote:

I would also rank Bäckman above Almqvist.

Don't really know that much about him. For defense I pay most attention to Smith/Ouellet/Sproul/Marchenko.

StringerBell 12-09-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinkman360 (Post 56390285)

Fan A) Your mom smells.

and so on and so on...

Just out of curiosity, who are players 'Y' and 'Z' in your opinion? Last week I had a Red Wings fan tell me the only player Wings fans would want to trade Smith for is Weber.

81 12-09-2012 08:24 PM

Almost the same value as Jake Gardiner.

Red Wings fans will say he's worth more, Leafs fans will say he's worth less.

Wingsfan2965* 12-09-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brody (Post 56408521)
Almost the same value as Jake Gardiner.

Red Wings fans will say he's worth more, Leafs fans will say he's worth less.

Worth more? No.. Gardiner is more proven.

But the Leafs fans who said Smith/Helm/1st for Gardiner was underpayment are insane.

blinkman360 12-09-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StringerBell (Post 56407813)
Just out of curiosity, who are players 'Y' and 'Z' in your opinion? Last week I had a Red Wings fan tell me the only player Wings fans would want to trade Smith for is Weber.

No idea, honestly. I'm not a Wings fan, just a guy who's read about a billion of these "Value-of players that teams have no reason to trade" threads.

pdd 12-09-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 (Post 56409419)
Worth more? No.. Gardiner is more proven.

But the Leafs fans who said Smith/Helm/1st for Gardiner was underpayment are insane.

Gardiner is not more proven, and when they were teammates at Wisconsin Smith was a Hobey finalist while Gardiner was just Smith's teammate.

FoppaForsberg* 12-09-2012 10:08 PM

McGinn + 2nd. Smith is terribly overrated.

Wolverine Wings 12-09-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoppaForsberg (Post 56411237)
McGinn + 2nd. Smith is terribly overrated.

Based on... what exactly? I'm interested to here your reasoning behind this, because I'm pretty sure I've watched Smith more than you have.

sully61 12-10-2012 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eva unit zero (Post 56410987)
Gardiner is not more proven, and when they were teammates at Wisconsin Smith was a Hobey finalist while Gardiner was just Smith's teammate.

That's not a fair statement. Michael Jordan was cut from his high school basketball team, so obviously people develop differently.

Wingsfan2965* 12-10-2012 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eva unit zero (Post 56410987)

Being that he's played more NHL games... Um... Yes.

I'm not saying Smith wont be better, I think he will, but right now Gardiner has that advantage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2MGoBlue2 (Post 56412277)
Based on... what exactly? I'm interested to here your reasoning behind this, because I'm pretty sure I've watched Smith more than you have.

Because he's a bitter Avs fan.

BarDownMcBobo 12-10-2012 01:50 AM

Is it getting to be make or break time for him? I know he hasn't really been given the opportunity in Detroit yet, but nothing about him totally jumps out at me. But then again, I'm not a Wings fan so I really haven't payed any attention to him.

Ceff Jarter 12-10-2012 01:55 AM

Reilly Smith + 4th round pick :nod: