HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   OT: First snow of the year in Montreal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1305675)

ThaDevilGirl 12-09-2012 10:53 AM

First snow of the year in Montreal
 
Just making this thread so people become aware of what is coming up for tomorrow.

We are expecting our first significant snow of the year starting tonight. Environment Canada is suggesting 10-15 cm of snow until early morning. Then the precipitations should change to freezing rain, and all rain for the afternoon. Visibility in the snow could get low as winds should be important, especially during nighttime.

Basically it is going to be hell during rush hour Monday morning so take your usual precautions to stay safe on the roads or not get late at work. Hopefully all of you drivers have winter tires on.

EDIT: Obviously, quantities may vary as tracking these systems can be difficult (boundaries between snow and rain)

Radulov 12-09-2012 10:57 AM

this should be fun!

pine* 12-09-2012 11:02 AM

Are you an expert?

Marc the Habs Fan 12-09-2012 11:15 AM

So basically what you are saying is most of the snow will be gone within hours.

ThaDevilGirl 12-09-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pine (Post 56390759)
Are you an expert?

Of course. Should I send my credentials to the mods?

ThaDevilGirl 12-09-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan (Post 56390977)
So basically what you are saying is most of the snow will be gone within hours.

Or the remaining little snowbanks will be frozen. Not a good start for outdoor rinks.

Pierre Dagenais 12-09-2012 11:19 AM

pretty sure there was snow in January

Stjonnypopo 12-09-2012 11:19 AM

I should put my winter tires on soon I guess...

Marc the Habs Fan 12-09-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl (Post 56391033)
Not a good start for outdoor rinks.

They don't start them until late December around here anyway. :shakehead

ThaDevilGirl 12-09-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan (Post 56391051)
They don't start them until late December around here anyway. :shakehead

Soon enough winter will no longer exist :shakehead

Alexdaman 12-09-2012 03:32 PM

This thread was brought to you by the NHL lockout.

Alexdaman 12-09-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl (Post 56391111)
Soon enough winter will no longer exist :shakehead

Well according to the scientific community once Antarctica will have melted by 20% all the fresh water will move up to the gulf stream and create a worldwide imbalance in world weather, Europe will start to freeze up since the Gulf stream is what is keeping it warm, the amazonian forests ( called the world's lungs ) will dry up and eventually become a desert while the rest of the world will experience extreme weather that will paralyze most of society.

PricePkPatch* 12-09-2012 03:40 PM

What I don't like about the 1st snow in Montreal, it's that every driver seemed to have forgotten over the course of summer how to drive in snow.

People take stupid risks, dangerous maneuvers and don't account for the snow's impact on the driving condition.

PricePkPatch* 12-09-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexdaman (Post 56398227)
Well according to the scientific community once Antarctica will have melted by 20% all the fresh water will move up to the gulf stream and create a worldwide imbalance in world weather, Europe will start to freeze up since the Gulf stream is what is keeping it warm, the amazonian forests ( called the world's lungs ) will dry up and eventually become a desert while the rest of the world will experience extreme weather that will paralyze most of society.

Mad Max!! WOOOO!!! :handclap:

ThaDevilGirl 12-09-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PricePkPatch (Post 56398231)
What I don't like about the 1st snow in Montreal, it's that every driver seemed to have forgotten over the course of summer how to drive in snow.

People take stupid risks, dangerous maneuvers and don't account for the snow's impact on the driving condition.

Hence why I made this thread. I think it is of my duty to warn people about impacts of the weather. People need to be careful tomorrow.

EC bumped up snow accumulations to 15 cm. Seems like a lot to me but these storms are unpredictable. Tomorrow morning should bring us a surprise.

Crimson Skorpion 12-09-2012 04:10 PM

We already had snow. About 1-2cm two weeks ago. Almost all of it was melted by the end of the day and by mid-day the next day, the ground was cleared.

Heimerdinger 12-09-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais (Post 56391041)
pretty sure there was snow in January

I see what you did there :)

Myron Gaines* 12-09-2012 04:48 PM

My body is ready

pine* 12-09-2012 04:58 PM

My body is a cage.

PunkinDrublic* 12-09-2012 05:45 PM

Rain and plus 6 is not a snowstorm.

MasterD 12-09-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PricePkPatch (Post 56398231)
What I don't like about the 1st snow in Montreal, it's that every driver seemed to have forgotten over the course of summer how to drive in snow.

People take stupid risks, dangerous maneuvers and don't account for the snow's impact on the driving condition.

If only people at least installed their winter tires BEFORE the first snow, things would be a lot simpler, and safer, on the roads... although I also completely agree that everyone drives like they've never driven in snow before for the first few weeks.


Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion (Post 56399369)
We already had snow. About 1-2cm two weeks ago. Almost all of it was melted by the end of the day and by mid-day the next day, the ground was cleared.

I'm in Blainville, snow stayed on the ground for a few days here... 3-4 I believe.

MasterD 12-09-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YourBuddy (Post 56402235)
Rain and plus 6 is not a snowstorm.

Depends where you live. Here on the north shore forecast is a AX of +2C... which means probably between -1 and 1. I don't think we'll get much rain.

I'll give you that 15cm is bare minimum to be called a snowstorm though.

OneSharpMarble 12-09-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pine (Post 56401007)
My body is a cage.

Nicholas Cage? :amazed:

ThaDevilGirl 12-09-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterD (Post 56403903)
Depends where you live. Here on the north shore forecast is a AX of +2C... which means probably between -1 and 1. I don't think we'll get much rain.

I'll give you that 15cm is bare minimum to be called a snowstorm though.

There are many criteria to define a snowstorm. In this case, we could have 10-15 cm of snow in a relatively short period of time followed by a period of freezing rain. These warnings are there to warn people from the upcoming weather.

In this case, the bulk of the snow will fall during the night. This will make the commute very difficult tomorrow morning. If you add the freezing rain then conditions will get worse.

Beerbeerhockey 12-10-2012 12:46 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj2wkpRqp_w


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.