HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   The wrister: which foot do you shoot off of? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1306125)

IslesZoso 12-10-2012 03:23 PM

The wrister: which foot do you shoot off of?

As a lefty shot, I almost always shoot off my left foot (with my left foot on the ice in the follow-thru). It always felt more natural and comfortable for me.

But isn't it more correct to shoot the wrister off the right foot?

TieClark 12-10-2012 03:25 PM

Both... You're supposed to transfer your weight from your back leg to your front leg

hyster110 12-10-2012 03:26 PM

if you have time to do a proper wrist shot yes, but shooting off the inside foot is not uncommon for quick snap shots

Jarick 12-10-2012 03:32 PM

Almost always after I push off my back foot, but usually I'm facing the net directly and shooting mid stride.

noobman 12-10-2012 03:49 PM

Left-handed shooter here... right foot.

Frankie Spankie 12-10-2012 04:03 PM

Left handed shooter and almost always on my left foot. I've tried shooting from my right foot a few times but it always felt really awkward. The only way I can really do the weight transfer on a wrist shot is if I'm skating at a proper angle and usually just never happens. Partly because I'm just not that good. :P

Ozz 12-10-2012 05:10 PM

Whatever happens, I use both.

bp spec 12-10-2012 05:13 PM

Left handed shooter, left leg.

LarryO 12-10-2012 08:25 PM

You should transfer your weight from one foot to the other. Which foot depends less on whether you're left or right handed and more from what side of the rink you're approaching the net. You can see what I mean near the end of this video (at around 1:03).

opivy 12-11-2012 02:49 AM

If you shoot off of your shooting foot side, and do it in stride especially while moving the puck back and forth, or just pulling it in a little, it's a hell of a job as a goalie to stop it. You can also pull it in and then deke and the goalie will most likely go down if he's a decent goalie.

Telegraphing a shot can work if you're going far post but on a decent goalie it will give him all the time in the world to be ready. Snap shots are much more effective I think, not the same power as a fully loaded wrister but they get off quickly and can be taken from almost any position / foot.

JR97 12-11-2012 03:23 PM

Right handed and I shoot off both from anywhere. sometimes goalies and defense expect the off wing shot to be off of the off foot so I'll mix it up. For quicker releases I shoot off of the right. If I'm coming down the left and have time/space to cut inside I'll shoot off of the left Joe Sakic style. Or at least an attempt at Joe Sakic style.

SCBruCrew4 12-11-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozz (Post 56432503)
Whatever happens, I use both.

This. As a lefty shooter, when practicing I tend to use my left foot but I will try it with my right. It's uncomfortable at first but well worth it since, game situations can determine these things.

Zippy316 12-11-2012 07:45 PM

I don't really know. Things like this I think should just feel natural, game situations change it up, but I know your typically supposed to come from back to front transfering your weight for the best power. But I'm sure there's times I've shot off of one or the other.

Devil Dancer 12-11-2012 08:21 PM

Right handed shot. If I'm shooting off the rush, it's almost always off my right foot. If I have time to wind up then I do the weight transfer thing and shoot off my left foot.

Jarick 12-12-2012 09:15 AM

In my mind, a quick shot is better than a perfect one. While skating close to full speed, weight transfer isn't as important as you already have forward momentum. When standing still, you're never going to get enough power to beat a goalie one-on-one, so usually I will take a step or two towards the goalie to get some forward movement and then lean and fire from my back foot.

Timmer44 12-12-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 56476327)
In my mind, a quick shot is better than a perfect one. While skating close to full speed, weight transfer isn't as important as you already have forward momentum. When standing still, you're never going to get enough power to beat a goalie one-on-one, so usually I will take a step or two towards the goalie to get some forward movement and then lean and fire from my back foot.

While you're right about forward momentum basically elimintating the need for full weight transfer, I disagree about standing still. The traditional wrist shot uses weight transfer to generate the power. Since composite sticks have become standard, there has been more of a shift to the hybrid wrist/snap. Instead of simply using momentum to propel the puck, you can also use the stick whip while using momentum to generate even more power.

This video demonstrates it pretty well. He calls it a wrist shot because he is transferring his weight but in reality he is snapping the puck just as much as he is sliding it.

I think this beauty goal gives a pretty good example:

Jarick 12-12-2012 01:05 PM

I'm very familiar with that video, but I still believe a good goalie will stop the shot nearly every time if you're shooting from a stand still.

I should clarify I'm talking about 1-on-1, you and the goalie. Most of the time you're shooting from a stand still, it would be a situation like on the PP where you're coming off the half-wall, and there's usually a guy screening, and the goalie has to respect the backdoor pass, etc. Like the Getzlaf shot, where he's moving backwards then uses the defender as a screen.

About the only time I ever shoot 1-on-1 is in warmups where the goalie's not really trying all that hard.

But I suppose for rec hockey, sometimes we face really bad goalies, and it's not always a bad idea to shoot the puck. You might get rebounds or tips and sometimes a goalie just lets in a bad shot.

Timmer44 12-12-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 56481827)
I'm very familiar with that video, but I still believe a good goalie will stop the shot nearly every time if you're shooting from a stand still.

Sure, one on one, standing alone in the high slot, in practice, the goalie is going to make the save the majority of the time.

In a game situation, the harder and quicker you can get the shot off, the higher chances of scoring. Even from a stand still. You're saying you wont bother shooting unless your in motion? Have you been hanging out with Scott Gomez?

If you can shoot harder from standstill, maybe a shot that the goalie would normally wrap up will drop down for a rebound. Never pass up a shot on net, since todays game is all about getting in shooting lanes and taking away the shot.

Danglous 12-12-2012 06:34 PM

I can shoot off of both, but I find I get the most power shooting off of my right foot (righty shot)

Jarick 12-13-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timmer44 (Post 56482419)
Sure, one on one, standing alone in the high slot, in practice, the goalie is going to make the save the majority of the time.

In a game situation, the harder and quicker you can get the shot off, the higher chances of scoring. Even from a stand still. You're saying you wont bother shooting unless your in motion? Have you been hanging out with Scott Gomez?

If you can shoot harder from standstill, maybe a shot that the goalie would normally wrap up will drop down for a rebound. Never pass up a shot on net, since todays game is all about getting in shooting lanes and taking away the shot.

I keep thinking of the Schremp highlight video:

So many of those goals are wristers he either steps into or waits until the defender screens the goalie or the goalie drops. Excellent stuff.

But yeah I almost never shoot from a stand still, especially if the goalie has the angle on me. I try and get some movement so I can get the goalie moving and get some power into the shot.

michaelshu 12-31-2012 05:00 AM

Shooting right, most often on my right foot during stride. I still take low shots when standing still but just so teammates could get a rebound or tip. Goalies these days are getting better and better...

I Am Score* 12-31-2012 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 56509277)
I keep thinking of the Schremp highlight video:

So many of those goals are wristers he either steps into or waits until the defender screens the goalie or the goalie drops. Excellent stuff.

But yeah I almost never shoot from a stand still, especially if the goalie has the angle on me. I try and get some movement so I can get the goalie moving and get some power into the shot.

NHL players shoot from a standstill so I don't see why not. It all depends on how close you are to the net haha.

What the pros do is just open their blade and roof it or snap it.

For everything else I would just do wrist shots on the same foot or the traditional wrister.