HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Caps and Pens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=130643)

borro 02-18-2005 10:24 PM

Proposal: Caps and Pens

Ryan Whitney and Ryan Stone to Caps for #1 pick 2005

the upside for the Caps... Whitney gives us a dman with some developmental years and a center who has proven chemistry with Fehr.

the downside for the Caps...Caps give up a pick that could possibly be Crosby but almost certainly will be a talent such as Brule or Ryan.

the upside for the Pens...increase their chances for Crosby by making them worse right now and adding a 2nd top pick. Worst case scenario they add a Brule, Johnson, or Ryan.

downside for the Pens...two proven players for none....

Probably about to get slammed. Is this close in value?

Big McLargehuge 02-18-2005 10:29 PM

Considering this place hates Ryan Whitney for no reason it'll get blasted to hell and back.

I'd say the value is fair but I can't see either side doing it.

borro 02-18-2005 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful
Considering this place hates Ryan Whitney for no reason it'll get blasted to hell and back.

I'd say the value is fair but I can't see either side doing it.

Until there is certainty about the draft, the price will be cheaper. Once we know what the 2005 draft is going to be you look for a deal that has some certainty. Grabbing a Whitney would give us a big dman with some o and round out our core. Whitney, Green; Morrison, Eminger; Yonkman, Cutta would be a future. Add in the Lepisto's, Hedman's, Schultz, Doig's and our d would have a chance in the future.

Reaper45 02-18-2005 10:47 PM

Miller for Yonkman and a pick?

borro 02-18-2005 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper45
Miller for Yonkman and a pick?

Nope.

Not dealing futures here.

Dark Knight 02-18-2005 11:02 PM

Why would you do that if you have a chance for CROSBY :eek: ...

CROSBY WILL FETCH YOU SO MUCH MORE THAN THAT!!! WAKE UP MY FRIEND...

Atlas 02-18-2005 11:10 PM

This is a bad deal for the Caps. Whitney is a nice prospect and Stone may or may not make it but the Caps will have a good shot at Crosby/Brule/Johnson/whoever else they have on their radar....the pick will be too high to trade away.

No Quarter 02-18-2005 11:14 PM

How about Beech, Lupaschuk and Sivek for Brendan Witt?

arnie 02-19-2005 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borro

the upside for the Caps... Whitney gives us a dman with some developmental years and a center who has proven chemistry with Fehr.

the downside for the Caps...Caps give up a pick that could possibly be Crosby but almost certainly will be a talent such as Brule or Ryan.

the upside for the Pens...increase their chances for Crosby by making them worse right now and adding a 2nd top pick. Worst case scenario they add a Brule, Johnson, or Ryan.

Stone has never been projected as anything but third liner. Maybe a good one, but still a grinder. Whitney was only a high pick because it was the worst draft in memory. Since then, he has not layed especially well and his stock has dropped signnificantly.

The Caps would be getting fleeced, even in a year without Crosby.

clefty 02-19-2005 06:12 AM

Quote:

Coming from a Pens fan, Pittsburgh wins.

BTW, those two 'proven players' have played zero NHL games combined. I love Ryan Whitney, but he's not proven.

#66 02-19-2005 06:25 AM

I'm pretty sure that the Caps would never give up on a chance for Crosby. What about Whitney and Stone for Semin? The Caps get the Fehr/Stone connection and a pretty skilled D-man in Whitney. The Penguins get a legit top notch prospect winger that can compliment Malkin.

clefty 02-19-2005 06:29 AM

I wouldn't be willing to give up Whitney for Semin, though.

Mothra 02-19-2005 06:30 AM

Quote:

No way.....

and this must be some usage of the word "proven" that I wasnt previously aware of

#66 02-19-2005 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clefty
I wouldn't be willing to give up Whitney for Semin, though.

Not even if the Pens end up drafting Johnson?

clefty 02-19-2005 06:42 AM

Johnson is with the Development Team, he hasn't even started his collegiate career yet. Even if the Pens were to draft Johnson (and it remains to be seen whether or not the Pens will be in such a position to do so) he's a good four years away from turning pro, while Whitney is on the cusp of beginning his NHL career.

Just because the Pens draft another offensive minded defenseman, it doesn't make the one we already have redundant.

And whats wrong with having two elite offensive defensemen, anyway?

#66 02-19-2005 07:10 AM

Quote:

Johnson is with the Development Team, he hasn't even started his collegiate career yet. Even if the Pens were to draft Johnson (and it remains to be seen whether or not the Pens will be in such a position to do so) he's a good four years away from turning pro, while Whitney is on the cusp of beginning his NHL career.

Just because the Pens draft another offensive minded defenseman, it doesn't make the one we already have redundant.

And whats wrong with having two elite offensive defensemen, anyway?

I like Whitney too but to have a chance at getting a guy like Semin is pretty rare. The Pens are pretty deep on D but lacking some high end talent on the wings. I like Solmonsson and Ouellet alot but Semins a stud IMO.

clefty 02-19-2005 07:12 AM

If thats the case, why not draft the wingers and keep your best assests?

#66 02-19-2005 07:28 AM

Quote:

If thats the case, why not draft the wingers and keep your best assests?

Is there a guy like Semin in this draft? I like Brule but IMO his size coupled with the way he plays might make for a short career. Even if he does calm his style down, I don't know if he can be the same player.

clefty 02-19-2005 07:40 AM

Its not like Semin is generational talent. Not saying he's dime a dozen or anything, but he's nothing special.

Mothra 02-19-2005 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #66
I like Whitney too but to have a chance at getting a guy like Semin is pretty rare. The Pens are pretty deep on D but lacking some high end talent on the wings. I like Solmonsson and Ouellet alot but Semins a stud IMO.

I agree with you on Semin.....thats why I dont see the Caps moving him at all. They will be in need of offense as well as D. I think Semin will be counted on quite a bit when the season resumes or next year....If he is moved I see it for either a center or Dman that are at the same point in development and ready to step in right away and be productive...... I dont see Whitney fitting that description

Mothra 02-19-2005 07:41 AM

Quote:

Its not like Semin is generational talent. Not saying he's dime a dozen or anything, but he's nothing special.

well.....I think he is indeed a special player.

clefty 02-19-2005 07:42 AM

Suit yourself.

Slabber Chops 02-20-2005 05:44 PM

Quote:

I've got a better trade for you. How about Ryan Stone and Michel Sivek for the Cap 1st rounder in 2005? ;)

AG9NK35DT8* 02-20-2005 07:21 PM

Doig is in the corner with SEMIN all over him...... :lol I crack me up

borro 02-20-2005 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AG9NK35DT8
Doig is in the corner with SEMIN all over him...... :lol I crack me up

...so he wipes his **s with the Rags.

anyone can do juvenille humour.