HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   LeBrun: Moderates push NHL, NHLPA back to table (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1306545)

LadyStanley 12-11-2012 04:00 PM

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...-back-to-table

LeBrun: moderates push NHL and NHLPA back to the table

Fugu 12-11-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Among those working behind the scenes to try to get things back on track has been New York Rangers owner James Dolan and Pittsburgh Penguins owner Ron Burkle, sources said.
Sounds like moderates and liberals if this the case. :)

Quote:

While there technically is not supposed to be direct communication between players and owners, itís hard to believe that hasnít been happening. With the season on the line and moderates on both sides refusing to give up and see the industry suffer an unmitigated disaster if thereís no season for the second time in eight years, thereís all kinds of dialogue going on to pressure both Gary Bettman and Don Fehr into taking another stab at this.

That both sides have yet to name the location, and perhaps they wonít, is annoying for the media, but sources indicate itís reflective of the league's belief that last weekís drama-filled events in New York -- with play-by-play by the media on site -- didnít help the process.
I'm not sure why it really hurt a process if the sides were rather sequestered.

LeBrun adds this tidbit at the end:
Quote:

"One thing that is really interesting is how the NHL has sought to exclude Fehr from the negotiation process -- that amounts to trying to dramatically change the conditions of negotiations. However, Fehr is here to stay. Heís also old school labor law, and as a result, I suspect doesnít take kindly to attempts to undermine the union as bargaining agent for the players," Macramalla told ESPN.com in an email Tuesday afternoon.
Indeed.

The Zetterberg Era 12-11-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fugu (Post 56458959)

I think it hurt the process. The way the press conferences played out made it impossible for them not to bite back hard at each other. Now they have cooled down a bit, but they should have been able to continue negotiations rather than scorch earth.

I understand why the media hates it and I as fan don't like it much either as I want to follow along. But at various points in this negotiation I have wondered how things would have gone if both sides would have just stayed locked up with no comment. The circus that seems to happen once every month is not helpful in my opinion.

Also curious wasn't Burkle the one that was most adamant about Fehr not being involved, so find that part of this article interesting.

Fugu 12-11-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedWings19405 (Post 56459843)
I think it hurt the process. The way the press conferences played out made it impossible for them not to bite back hard at each other. Now they have cooled down a bit, but they should have been able to continue negotiations rather than scorch earth.

I understand why the media hates it and I as fan don't like it much either as I want to follow along. But at various points in this negotiation I have wondered how things would have gone if both sides would have just stayed locked up with no comment. The circus that seems to happen once every month is not helpful in my opinion.

Also curious wasn't Burkle the one that was most adamant about Fehr not being involved, so find that part of this article interesting.

Doesn't fit in with his MO, does it?

The Zetterberg Era 12-11-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fugu (Post 56461711)
Doesn't fit in with his MO, does it?

I was surprised but he was the one that seemed most put out by him coming back in.

Quote:

We were therefore surprised when the Fehrs made a unilateral and “non-negotiable” decision – which is their right, to end the player/owner process that has moved us farther in two days than we moved at any time in the past months.
With his history as a good labor guy it surprised me that he was vocal about Fehr's involvement. You would think he would know that he needed to re-enter the room at some point. But I guess it was too early for Burkle.

I guess that after a couple days of disappointment he has decided to get back to fighting behind the scenes is a good sign. Just curious what he thinks can be accomplished if he distrusts Donald Fehr to the level some of his statement seemed to indicate?

The Zetterberg Era 12-11-2012 06:53 PM

I would really like to know who the moderate players are? Find it interesting how LeBrun protects naming any of them.

Section337 12-11-2012 07:10 PM

I will be very happy if these members of their particular side can push their leadership to resolution. But let's not candy coat their role with a title like moderate. They're just a group who watched a flame turn into a fire, egging on or doing nothing while their buddies blew on it to help it catch, before they used the voice, they've always had, to intervene.

Omnomnomnom 12-11-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedWings19405 (Post 56462869)
I would really like to know who the moderate players are? Find it interesting how LeBrun protects naming any of them.

Considering how any player who deviates from the PA message is harassed by their fellow members, it's not much of a surprise.

Gormo 12-11-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyStanley (Post 56458895)

I still cant understand what happened last week.

Apparently they were very close to a deal.

Then Fehr walks into the room, and all the sudden Bettman goes crazy. He said that the two sides are not even close, and added that everything was now off the table.

He then figuratively threw that table in a rage and smashed it to pieces.

In spite of this, apparently they are still very close to a deal.:help:

Freudian 12-11-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gormo (Post 56465659)
I still cant understand what happened last week.

Apparently they were very close to a deal.

Then Fehr walks into the room, and all the sudden Bettman goes crazy. He said that the two sides are not even close, and added that everything was now off the table.

He then figuratively threw that table in a rage and smashed it to pieces.

In spite of this, apparently they are still very close to a deal.:help:

It's all scripted to an extent. Both press conferences were part of the plan. While I'm sure Bettman is a bit annoyed with Fehr, he knew exactly what he was doing. Bettman didn't take everything off the table in a permanent sense and Fehr didn't think there was an agreement on economics.

The parties did move closer last week and once they are ready to make a deal (possibly as early as this week) they'll stop with the games. Until then, take anything they say with a pinch of salt.

Xref 12-11-2012 09:12 PM

If the "moderates" aren't in the room, nothing will get accomplished. They can push the hard-liners all they want to force a meeting, but hard-heads are gonna be hard-heads. No moderates = no deal = no hockey.

DreamBeaut 12-11-2012 09:14 PM

Wonder how the NHL will cast the players as a "good guys" after this week?

RedWingsNow* 12-11-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyStanley (Post 56458895)

LeBrun has lost credibility as a journalist during this lockout.

How did moderates push the PA back to the table. The PA leadership has been saying they wanted to keep talking and negotiating.

Who exactly are the "hardliners" in the PA? The ones who've pushed Fehr to give big in every single area???

Moreover, not only as LeBrun acted like a PR tool for the owners... his writing...

Quote:

The moderates on each side were working the phones all weekend long, sources told ESPN.com, pushing like crazy for both sides to resume talks, back-channelling between owners, agents and players stressing the need to get right back at it in an effort to once and for all end a lockout that should have never lasted this long.
is loaded with overdramatic and simplistic prose.

RedWingsNow* 12-11-2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedWings19405 (Post 56462869)

Give me one example of a hardline position taken by the PA
Name one thing in their offer that strikes you as "hardline"

Kane One 12-11-2012 09:24 PM

Maybe it's time to get Dolan there and we'll see "how Dolan, Rangers tried to save NHL season."

Fish on The Sand 12-11-2012 09:28 PM

maybe Dolan can get there, make everything worse so we can all be "y u do dis dolan?"

DreamBeaut 12-11-2012 09:29 PM

"is loaded with overdramatic and simplistic prose."

not the best paragraph to use as an example of this.

Fish on The Sand 12-11-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Bob (Post 56467385)
Give me one example of a hardline position taken by the PA
Name one thing in their offer that strikes you as "hardline"

Up until very recently...no linkage.

RedWingsNow* 12-11-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand (Post 56467637)
Up until very recently...no linkage.

That's gone.

Next?

Omnomnomnom 12-11-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Bob (Post 56467305)
LeBrun has lost credibility as a journalist during this lockout.

How did moderates push the PA back to the table. The PA leadership has been saying they wanted to keep talking and negotiating.

Who exactly are the "hardliners" in the PA? The ones who've pushed Fehr to give big in every single area???

Moreover, not only as LeBrun acted like a PR tool for the owners... his writing...

I highly doubt the average fan has lost any respect for LeBrun. As for his reputation amongst the players, we'll see is the best answer I think any of us can give. They have bigger things to focus on right now.

Patofqc 12-11-2012 09:35 PM

Let's get this CBA signed. I want to watch NHL hockey...

Omnomnomnom 12-11-2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patofqc (Post 56467821)
Let's get this CBA signed. I want to watch NHL hockey...

Amen. Something that fans on all sides can agree on.

Kane One 12-11-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand (Post 56467619)
maybe Dolan can get there, make everything worse so we can all be "y u do dis dolan?"

I can't see how Dolan meeting with the players could possibly be a bad thing. If anything, he should be on the Players' side in all of this.

StoneColdFlower* 12-11-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fugu (Post 56458959)
Sounds like moderates and liberals if this the case. :)

LeBrun adds this tidbit at the end:

Indeed.

Burkle's a left liberal IRL :-)

Seedling 12-11-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand (Post 56467619)

Does Dolan drive a Cadillac?:sarcasm: