HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   International Tournaments (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   WJC: New format next year (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1306765)

saskriders 12-12-2012 01:37 AM

New format next year

Next year, instead of the top 3 teams of each division advancing to the playoffs, with a bye for division winners, there will be the top 4 teams in each division advancing to quarter finals, with the two bottom teams having a best of 3 for avoiding relegation.

So if this was used last year it would probably look like this (not 100% sure about how playoff seeds would work, but can guess based off of WC)

QF1: Sweden-Switzerland
QF2: Finland-Czech Republic
QF3: Canada-US
QF4: Russia-Slovakia

Personally, I like this format. 8 teams in the playoffs means that all the big 7 teams make the playoffs. It also give the 2nd tier countries a playoff spot to fight over. More playoff games also means more chance of upsets. The only thing I would consider changing is maybe expanding to 12 or 14 teams.

um 12-12-2012 01:41 AM

i would like this, i hate teams automatically advancing to the semi's

PhilaFlyers 12-12-2012 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saskriders (Post 56472943)
Next year, instead of the top 3 teams of each division advancing to the playoffs, with a bye for division winners, there will be the top 4 teams in each division advancing to quarter finals, with the two bottom teams having a best of 3 for avoiding relegation.

So if this was used last year it would probably look like this (not 100% sure about how playoff seeds would work, but can guess based off of WC)

Personally, I like this format. 8 teams in the playoffs means that all the big 7 teams make the playoffs. It also give the 2nd tier countries a playoff spot to fight over. More playoff games also means more chance of upsets. The only thing I would consider changing is maybe expanding to 12 or 14 teams.

I also like this format. I'm not sure about expanding though, some games get ugly enough as it is.

Ryker 12-12-2012 02:11 AM

Quote:

Just to make sure, you're stating this is going to be in place next year, not just proposing, right?

Quote:

I think 14 teams would definitely be too much, and it would just split the elite division into two groups, and there would just be more blowout games. It would give teams a chance to play better teams, but personally I don't think a tournament alone and getting that experience will improve the respective countries' programs and competitiveness to warrant an expansion. 12 might be good, though, especially with Germany, Norway, Denmark and Belarus probably being quite close to one another in terms of strength. You'd also get a chance to relegate two teams so as to get more turnover.

saskriders 12-12-2012 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryker (Post 56473259)
Just to make sure, you're stating this is going to be in place next year, not just proposing, right?

I think 14 teams would definitely be too much, and it would just split the elite division into two groups, and there would just be more blowout games. It would give teams a chance to play better teams, but personally I don't think a tournament alone and getting that experience will improve the respective countries' programs and competitiveness to warrant an expansion. 12 might be good, though, especially with Germany, Norway, Denmark and Belarus probably being quite close to one another in terms of strength. You'd also get a chance to relegate two teams so as to get more turnover.

Wikipedia links the IIHF

I'd group Latvia in with those teams. I didn't think of this, but it wouldn't only give the second tier (or "small 5" as I like to call them) teams a playoff spot to fight for, but also to fight against relegation.

tony d 12-12-2012 09:23 AM

I'd like this as well. Would really open up the competition for the playoffs.

Smif 12-12-2012 09:43 AM

Love this! I hate it when my team gets the bye, they lose momentum and it's one less game to watch.

Leo Trollmarov 12-12-2012 09:47 AM

I like this, a lot! I really don't like many of the IIHF rules and formats, this would be great to see implemented.

tourlord* 12-12-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smif (Post 56476829)
I hate it when my team gets the bye, they lose momentum and it's one less game to watch.

That and the fact that your team ends up losing the next game because they took that one game off. :shakehead

Muuri 12-12-2012 10:06 AM

This smells like Kummola's work.

Nash 12-12-2012 10:24 AM

With 3 head to head relegation games, we could see a tournament scoring leader from one of these teams.

Jussi 12-12-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muuri (Post 56477449)
This smells like Kummola's work.

I distinctly remember this being told by himself already a year ago. There might have been a thread about it even.

Lessy 12-12-2012 01:32 PM

I'm obviously in the minority but I'm not a huge fan of this. 6 teams in the playoffs is enough in a tournament like this where there is a fairly wide talent gap. I think a 6-team playoff is just right and also places an importance on how you perform in the round robin. The undefeated round robin gets you the bye and you get to play a team that played the day before in the QF's. Now it won't be a big deal if a perennial powerhouse like a Canada loses a game in the round robin because they'll get, in all likelihood, to play a Switzerland/Slovakia in the QF's which is typically a pretty easy W in this tournament.