HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sean Day vs Tyler Benson (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1306949)

Breakfast of Champs 12-12-2012 01:08 PM

Sean Day vs Tyler Benson

For the first time I can remember 2 players are being talked about for exceptional player status in the same season.

Day is playing in Detroit but is a Canadian citizen, would be applying for the OHL. Was called "the greatest 14 year old I have ever seen" by the 67's coach.

Benson is from Alberta, and would be the WHL's first exceptional player. Currently has 91 points in 19 games and is on pace to break Ty Rattie's league scoring record. Has been called better than Eberle and Brule for his age.

Both have been getting extremely high praise recently, who is/will be the better player?

Daneurism 12-12-2012 01:12 PM

I doubt there's any posters on here that have had a good enough look at both players, let alone the difference in position.

Not trying to crap on your post, would obviously be cool to have some insight.

CantHaveTkachev 12-12-2012 01:15 PM

all i know is that Benson plays for SSAC in Edmonton:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...xt_whl_phenom/

Breakfast of Champs 12-12-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daneurism (Post 56481995)
I doubt there's any posters on here that have had a good enough look at both players, let alone the difference in position.

Not trying to crap on your post, would obviously be cool to have some insight.

Yea I am sort of thinking the same thing, however there are some posters on here who scout for certain teams and get to see a lot of the top prospects.

Either way, this thread could be useful for a few years to come.

bruinsfan46 12-12-2012 01:47 PM

Absolutely nobody on this board is gonna have enough knowledge of both to make this call at this point. If they both get exceptional status and both play major junior next year we can talk. Threw Day my vote because of Kilrea, he is a legendary talent evaluator for that age.

3 Minute Minor 12-12-2012 02:25 PM

I picked Sean Day because Benson was up 3-2 and I figured it should be even due to it being a bad poll question... Wait till these kids get some chin fuzz at least.
Not to mention, 2 different positions, tough comparison...

Garyboy 12-12-2012 02:34 PM

What's the quality of hockey like in this league? They've been sending teams to the Silver Stick in Whitby for the Minor Midgets for the last 4 years and I think they're 0-23-1. Always boggled my mind why the organizers kept having them back. No idea if these are the cream of the crop in Alberta, but the Edmonton SSAC Bulldogs have been there the last 4 years.

Will be great to see him against the elite at the All-Canadian game.

Mr Writer 12-12-2012 02:41 PM

It's a dead heat right now.... both rate 10 out of 10 on the prospect scale. But boy oh boy Canada is certainly spitting out the exceptional prospects these days. For all my criticism of Hockey Canada, they are getting some things right... although I don't think they can take any credit for Day's development to date.... get this guy in the OHL and pronto. I only saw the one 20 second video highlight, but it was enough to say, ya the kid is exceptional.

RipCityPuckers 12-12-2012 02:56 PM

Team Canada 2030?
Sidney Crosby
Steve Stamkos
John Tavares
Connor McDavid
Tyler Benson
Nathan MacKinnon

Aaron Ekblad
Sean Day

:sarcasm:

wings5 12-12-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallz (Post 56485277)
Team Canada 2030?
Sidney Crosby
Steve Stamkos
John Tavares
Connor McDavid
Tyler Benson
Nathan MacKinnon

Aaron Ekblad
Sean Day

Yes because Crosby will be on the team at 43. :laugh:

Small Brain Presence 12-12-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallz (Post 56485277)
Team Canada 2030?
Sidney Crosby
Steve Stamkos
John Tavares
Connor McDavid
Tyler Benson
Nathan MacKinnon

Aaron Ekblad
Sean Day

I don't understand. Is the sarcasm thingy because Crosby would be 43 (44?) years old?

Leaf Rocket 12-12-2012 03:23 PM

Personally want to go with Benson, that's what heart says but I think Day is the better.

3 Minute Minor 12-12-2012 03:24 PM

Shoulda went with 2022 Olympics, woulda been a lot more realistic. Even the 2018 games lol

RipCityPuckers 12-12-2012 03:43 PM

I honestly just picked a random even year

I'm lucky it was even an Olympic year at all

Didn't think the fun police would be patrolling the prospect board

It was just a joke guys lighten up

Skinnyjimmy08 12-12-2012 04:18 PM

WHL doesnt allow "exceptional status" players. So Benson will have to wait to play in the CHL a year longer

Garyboy 12-12-2012 06:26 PM

Is there anyone out there that has seen both live? I've seen Day play 6 times, so I have a pretty good handle on just how special he is, but have only see clips of Benson, so can't really form much of an opinion.

I don't think we'll get an idea of how comparable they are until the All Canadian game in July.

Bravid Nonahan 12-12-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 (Post 56487817)
WHL doesnt allow "exceptional status" players. So Benson will have to wait to play in the CHL a year longer

yet.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 12-12-2012 06:41 PM

I'll go with Tyler Benson , although havnt seen Day play live..

Can someone (who's watched Day live) give a description of his play/style ? Also his strengths and areas he needs to improve in please..

Hardyvan123 12-12-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Tilander (Post 56484281)
I picked Sean Day because Benson was up 3-2 and I figured it should be even due to it being a bad poll question... Wait till these kids get some chin fuzz at least.
Not to mention, 2 different positions, tough comparison...

Different positions and man some guys really grow as hockey players from 14-16 and then again from 16-18 and 18-20 again.

If we tracked any group of players rating at all 3 different age groups would probably vary widely.

NHL Fanatic 12-12-2012 11:16 PM

Here is a glimpse at Sean Day towards the end of the video.

http://watch.tsn.ca/clip824642#clip824642

You can't really compare two players at different positions. I haven't seen any of them play so I'll reserve my judgement especially because they are so young. Benson has great numbers but it would be more impressive if he done that playing a year up.

Garyboy 12-13-2012 12:37 AM

Very curious as to the quality of the play in Benson's league as well. Alberta teams have done terribly at the Whitby Silver Stick over the last 4 years.

jigglysquishy 12-13-2012 10:38 AM

What are the chances both are in the CHL next year? It's great seeing elite level prospects jumping up (McDavid, Ekblad). Canada is doing fantastic.

HockeySensible 12-13-2012 10:48 AM

I've seen highlights of Sean Day skate through an entire team and almost score.. on the other hand, I've seen a highlight of Tyler Benson hustling back and diving for a puck that was heading for an empty net.

This.. this is tough.

Uhh...

Damn...

Ben.. Err, no.. Da.. Ah, um.. Yeah, Day. Sure.

bananaz 12-13-2012 11:16 AM

I think it's a bit ridiculous to compare these players right now. The majority of voters havent seen them play. Ever. Heck I hadn't even heard of either player until a few days ago.

They're 14 years old kids and still have a ways to go. Hyping these kids up and putting them on future Olympic team rosters is putting unfair pressure on these two guys.

UvBnDatsyuked 12-13-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossTheBoss (Post 56508717)
I've seen highlights of Sean Day skate through an entire team and almost score.. on the other hand, I've seen a highlight of Tyler Benson hustling back and diving for a puck that was heading for an empty net.

This.. this is tough.

Uhh...

Damn...

Ben.. Err, no.. Da.. Ah, um.. Yeah, Day. Sure.

If you are talking about this highlight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uweFEprq14Y

That is not the Tyler Benson everyone else is talking about. That is from college club game.