HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Detroit firesale (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=130768)

A Good Flying Bird* 02-19-2005 12:57 PM

Detroit firesale

Detroit has $43 Million in salaries, and that's without Pavel Datsuk signed as an RFA.

The team needs to make some cap room.

So I've got two players very available, and perhaps another one partially available.

Very available:

Derian Hatcher: You need him? He can be had on the cheap. I'll take a first rounder for him.

Ray Whitney: Again, it won't cost much. Maybe a second rounder or a prospect. (Not an Ovechkin kind of prospect, just a decent prospect)

Somewhat available:

I'd be willing to trade Robert Lang.
Whaddya say? It's gotta be a pretty good deal, though.

borro 02-19-2005 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newsguyone
Detroit has $43 Million in salaries, and that's without Pavel Datsuk signed as an RFA.

The team needs to make some cap room.

So I've got two players very available, and perhaps another one partially available.

Very available:

Derian Hatcher: You need him? He can be had on the cheap. I'll take a first rounder for him.

Ray Whitney: Again, it won't cost much. Maybe a second rounder or a prospect. (Not an Ovechkin kind of prospect, just a decent prospect)

Somewhat available:

I'd be willing to trade Robert Lang.
Whaddya say? It's gotta be a pretty good deal, though.

I could see the Caps taking Lang back. The only issue is he would not get you that much return from us. Not because he doesn't deserve it, we don't have it to give. Therefore, I see it as unlikely. Caps could offer a 2nd for Hatcher. I'm sure you could get a better offer, but probably have to pick up some salary, even in a rollback environment.

Boomhower 02-19-2005 02:17 PM

Wow, a little steep.
I'd take a 6th rounder for Hatcher and a 3rd or 4th for Whitney.
(would definitely keep Lang though)

I'm assuming the start of the season and the trade deadline will be one in the same. With such a short season, anything could happen, so I highly doubt any team will trade away their first round pick.

HockeyMan9 02-19-2005 02:21 PM

Columbus was interested in Hatcher as a free agent, i could see looking into it, but you're not getting a first rounder out of a salary dump.

A Good Flying Bird* 02-19-2005 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyMan9
Columbus was interested in Hatcher as a free agent, i could see looking into it, but you're not getting a first rounder out of a salary dump.

Isn't that Ironic.
A salary cap means that Detroit needs to dump salaries.

Hmm.
Well, given the amount of FIRST ROUNDERS Detroit has traded away over the years in SALARY DUMP trades, I don't think a first rounder is out of the question.
At all.

Anthony* 02-19-2005 02:29 PM

yea nobody is going to give up a first rounder for hatcher

MasterD 02-19-2005 02:35 PM

Quote:

Isn't that Ironic.
A salary cap means that Detroit needs to dump salaries.

Hmm.
Well, given the amount of FIRST ROUNDERS Detroit has traded away over the years in SALARY DUMP trades, I don't think a first rounder is out of the question.
At all.

What? :dunno: I don't think this is related at all. Detroit's salary dump will/would be a forced one, they don't have the big end on the trade this time around.

When they got their players for 1st rounders, the other team didn't HAVE to trade him, it was just to save money/fill up with prospects/picks. This time around the Wings will/would have to do something, so their bargaining power is lower

A Good Flying Bird* 02-19-2005 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony
yea nobody is going to give up a first rounder for hatcher

I disagree.
If you have a good team and cap room, why not?
If Hatcher can help you win the cup (like say, Ottawa), why wouldn't you give up a Chris Bourque kind of prospect.
Hmmm. Derian Hatcher or Chris Bourque.
I don't need long to make that choice.
It's not EVEN close, if you've got the cap room and the ability to pay Hatcher.

You guys put WAY to much emphasis on draft picks.

acr* 02-19-2005 02:38 PM

Oh My God, We're Having A Fire...sale!

A Good Flying Bird* 02-19-2005 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterD
What? :dunno: I don't think this is related at all. Detroit's salary dump will/would be a forced one, they don't have the big end on the trade this time around.

When they got their players for 1st rounders, the other team didn't HAVE to trade him, it was just to save money/fill up with prospects/picks. This time around the Wings will/would have to do something, so their bargaining power is lower

Ah, you overstate the pressure on Detroit to drop salary.
At the end of this year, Yzerman and Cujo are gone.
That's 10 Million in cap room, right there.

I'm talking about rebuilding more than salary dumping.

There is less pressure for Detroit to drop Hatcher than there was on Washington to trade Lang last season, and Washington managed to get a 1st rounder and a good prospect.

MasterD 02-19-2005 02:44 PM

Quote:

Ah, you overstate the pressure on Detroit to drop salary.
At the end of this year, Yzerman and Cujo are gone.
That's 10 Million in cap room, right there.

I'm talking about rebuilding more than salary dumping.

There is less pressure for Detroit to drop Hatcher than there was on Washington to trade Lang last season, and Washington managed to get a 1st rounder and a good prospect.

1. Lang was league leading in points for a huge part of last year
2. That's at the end of the year. Unless they include some exemption for a year or two to allow teams to fall under cap gradually, lets face it, they will have to dump. And I doubt they'll include such exemptions, as it was reported that only 3 teams would be over a 45 millions cap.

A Good Flying Bird* 02-19-2005 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterD
1. Lang was league leading in points for a huge part of last year
2. That's at the end of the year. Unless they include some exemption for a year or two to allow teams to fall under cap gradually, lets face it, they will have to dump. And I doubt they'll include such exemptions, as it was reported that only 3 teams would be over a 45 millions cap.

Detroit is at $43 Million as we speak.
Pavel moves them to $45Million
If the salary situation doesn't change, he'll get a deal starting at $2 Million and ending near $4Million, backloaded, to ease the cap pressures.

And then in four months, when the season is over, Yzerman and Cujo are done.
Pressure is off.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe 02-19-2005 03:10 PM

If I were Columbus, I'd offer a 2nd for Hatcher.

A CBJ 2nd round pick likely wouldn't be far from what a Detroit first round pick typically is. I think I read the Wings do not have their 1st round pick this year, which likely would be toward the bottom of the 1st round. The CBJ likely would be in the high 2nd round. Maybe only a difference of 10 spots tops, with the talent level of prospects being pretty equal in that range.

With a rollback and the prospect of Richardson, Lachance and Cassels' salaries coming off the CBJ books within the next year, Columbus can afford Hatcher.

Detroit clears salary and gets a good pick. Columbus gets a much needed defensive upgrade.

Larionov 02-19-2005 03:16 PM

When Hatcher came back at the end of last season, he looked S-L-O-W. His foot speed was dreadful, and at his age it's hard to see that getting much better. The Wings will have to give him away for basically nothing if they need to dump the whole salary.

MeatTornado 02-19-2005 03:21 PM

Is Shanny signed? I'd like him in a Canucks uniform :)

He available? if so, at what cost?

Boomhower 02-19-2005 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larionov
When Hatcher came back at the end of last season, he looked S-L-O-W. His foot speed was dreadful, and at his age it's hard to see that getting much better. The Wings will have to give him away for basically nothing if they need to dump the whole salary.

Yeah, Hatcher's play at the end of last season was about as dreadful a performance as I've ever seen at the NHL level. He would've made Luke Richardson look like a great defenceman. His contract is also long, he could be better than he was last year (that's not saying much), but chances are he'll never be as good as he was and I'd be thrilled if Detroit could somehow dump him clean, without swallowing part of his remaining contract. A 6th rounder would be GREAT returns on Hatcher, the $5M in free agent flexibility is the gold mine, alot of players are going to be free agents.

Grift69 02-19-2005 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gobert
Is Shanny signed? I'd like him in a Canucks uniform :)

He available? if so, at what cost?

I've been hoping that they would trade him ever since the end of the 02 season and it still hasnt happened yet. I dont think it would take an amazing offer.

MeatTornado 02-19-2005 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grift69
I've been hoping that they would trade him ever since the end of the 02 season and it still hasnt happened yet. I dont think it would take an amazing offer.

Alright, well what would you guys want from the Canucks for him?

acr* 02-19-2005 07:27 PM

It'd have to be for a HoF defenseman to accord with the preceeding 3 times he was traded

MeatTornado 02-19-2005 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acr
It'd have to be for a HoF defenseman to accord with the preceeding 3 times he was traded

So, Nolan Baumgartener and a 3rd?

Reaper45 02-19-2005 08:16 PM

I'd like Shanahan on the Kings, but only if we had dealt some other vets, like Miller and or Norstrom/Klatt/Quintal.

Chris 02-19-2005 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gobert
So, Nolan Baumgartener and a 3rd?

:handclap:

salty justice 02-20-2005 03:10 PM

2nd and a widget for Lang

MeatTornado 02-20-2005 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris
:handclap:

Is that a yes?