HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Baseball (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   MLB off-season news and notes thread - Part II (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1308105)

Marc the Habs Fan 12-14-2012 08:41 PM

MLB off-season news and notes thread - Part II

Continue.

BigFatCat999 12-14-2012 08:58 PM

What's the biggest appeal of RA Dickey? His knuckleball of the innings he will eat?

Vamos Rafa 12-14-2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 (Post 56551599)
What's the biggest appeal of RA Dickey? His knuckleball of the innings he will eat?

If he was 28 instead of 38, would the Mets be shopping him?

Blue Jays and Orioles are the frontrunners.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1220484

MurrayBannerman 12-14-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

True but if I was AA D'arnaud would be completely untouchable.

Arencibia is pretty popular among casual jays fans but he is an average player at best. The only thing he really has gong for him is he still has time to improve.
He's going to be 27 soon, so I wouldn't expect much out of him. He shouldn't really be starting.

CFD 12-14-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 (Post 56551599)

He's pretty good?

sparxx87 12-14-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grillinnap (Post 56551679)
If he was 28 instead of 38, would the Mets be shopping him?

Blue Jays and Orioles are the frontrunners.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1220484

No, they wouldn't.. They're looking to cash in when his value is highest... From what they reportedly asked for from Boston, any team would be foolish to give up a package like that...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarkson Falls Down (Post 56552289)
He's pretty good?

How good is he when pitching at the Rogers centre, in the AL east?

I just hope it isn't d'Arnaud or JPA + Gose.. JP and Rasmus I would be 'wait and see' with... That trade success would hinge on his season and if he resigned..

I'd much prefer just stand pat. See how April-June go before giving up a substantial portion of the farm... We just traded a couple good peices to Miami, lets see where we're at with what we have.. The rotation is already significantly better then last years.

Taro Tsujimoto 12-14-2012 10:19 PM

Mets "close" to trading Dickey to the Blue Jays, with Travis D'Arnaud and Anthony Gose said to be going the other way: http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/ey...uing-ra-dickey

DennisReynolds 12-14-2012 10:21 PM

Do not want if they want JPA, Gose, or D'arnaud.

Everlong 12-14-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMicrowave (Post 56553729)
Do not want if they want JPA, Gose, or D'arnaud.

Well obviously not all 3, but it's reasonable to assume 1 or even 2 could go in the right scenario. D'arnaud holding the most value.

BCS 12-14-2012 10:52 PM

Yes, Toronto, trade D'Arnaud for a 38-year-old. Please and thanks.

Chandrashekhar Limit 12-14-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Better Call Saul (Post 56554469)

That would be my reaction if D'Arnaud went the other way as well. Seeing AA's other trades, I doubt TDA is going the other way.

Will probably be JPA ++.

Swervin81 12-14-2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Better Call Saul (Post 56554469)

If the Leafs trade TDA, it becomes WS or bust. Just playoffs won't cut it for giving up a talent like D'Arnaud.

BCS 12-14-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit (Post 56554597)
That would be my reaction if D'Arnaud went the other way as well. Seeing AA's other trades, I doubt TDA is going the other way.

Will probably be JPA ++.

I'm thinking you'll be right as I can't believe Toronto would deal D'Arnaud for an old guy, but reports run contrary to your take as of now. TDA is seemingly headed to the Mets, but we'll see.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swervin81 (Post 56554645)
If the Leafs trade TDA, it becomes WS or bust. Just playoffs won't cut it for giving up a talent like D'Arnaud.

At the very least, there would be no excuse to miss the playoffs. The Yankees and Rays have both gone backward this winter, so the AL East would be there for the taking for the Jays if they acquired Dickey on top of Cabrera, Reyes, Johnson and Buehrle.

Everlong 12-14-2012 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Better Call Saul (Post 56554757)
I'm thinking you'll be right as I can't believe Toronto would deal D'Arnaud for an old guy, but reports run contrary to your take as of now. TDA is seemingly headed to the Mets, but we'll see.

I don't think he'd even trade D'arnaud straight up for Dicky, that's how highly he's regarded. For him to be included the deal would have to be expanded. That's my take anyway.

I could see JPA + Gose. I would hate it, but if it took us to the promise land, or close, so be it.

Big McLargehuge 12-14-2012 11:17 PM

Dickey ain't the typical 38 year-old, you have to keep in mind. He could pitch effectively for another 7-8 years with his style.

Knuckleballers defy career arc logic.

darko 12-14-2012 11:21 PM

It pains me to say it but with Dickey on board the division is there for the taking for Jays. Rays and Yankees took a small step back and Jays have added some pretty good pieces.

BCS 12-14-2012 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge (Post 56555013)
Dickey ain't the typical 38 year-old, you have to keep in mind. He could pitch effectively for another 7-8 years with his style.

Knuckleballers defy career arc logic.

A valid point, for sure, but if D'Arnaud has the type of potential everyone thinks he does, I wouldn't make this deal from Toronto's POV. While acquiring Dickey would give the Jays an ace, superstar catchers are nearly impossible to find and D'Arnaud could be one. I wouldn't risk moving him for an almost 40-year-old, even if that almost 40-year-old is a knuckleballer.

If possible, I think Toronto would be better off signing Edwin Jackson - who, granted, isn't on Dickey's level - and keeping D'Arnaud. A rotation consisting of Morrow, Buehrle, Johnson, Jackson and Romero paired with a highly dangerous offense should be enough for at least a playoff berth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by darko (Post 56555079)
It pains me to say it but with Dickey on board the division is there for the taking for Jays. Rays and Yankees took a small step back and Jays have added some pretty good pieces.

As have the Orioles, whom I neglected to mention earlier. And the Red Sox, despite their slew of moves, look really mediocre.

Everlong 12-14-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darko (Post 56555079)

Yankees and Rays will compete. They always do despite the odds.

Marc the Habs Fan 12-14-2012 11:32 PM

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/st...05550865313793

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
Sources: D'Arnaud very much in play in Dickey talks between #BlueJays and #Mets. Deal would be bigger, multiple pieces going both ways.

Everlong 12-14-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan (Post 56555325)
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/st...05550865313793

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
Sources: D'Arnaud very much in play in Dickey talks between #BlueJays and #Mets. Deal would be bigger, multiple pieces going both ways.

Thought as much. I don't know who else could be involved though. Only players I'd be interested in would be Niese, Wheeler or Harvey and I doubt the Mets would be willing to deal any more pitching.

AA just doesn't take a day off it seems, lol. Trade guru.

darko 12-14-2012 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everlong (Post 56555315)
Yankees and Rays will compete. They always do despite the odds.

Oh no doubt, both will be good ball clubs but if Jays can get Romero to bounce back, JJ to stay relatively healthy, Dickey (assuming they get him) to adjust well to AL East and dont get ravaged by injuries like they did last season they'll be hard to beat.

darko 12-14-2012 11:45 PM

I can see Mets adding someone like Niese and/or Ike Davis to a deal. Wheeler and Harvey are a pipe dream though. They are staying.

CFD 12-14-2012 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparxx87 (Post 56552897)
No, they wouldn't.. They're looking to cash in when his value is highest... From what they reportedly asked for from Boston, any team would be foolish to give up a package like that...

How good is he when pitching at the Rogers centre, in the AL east?

I just hope it isn't d'Arnaud or JPA + Gose.. JP and Rasmus I would be 'wait and see' with... That trade success would hinge on his season and if he resigned..

I'd much prefer just stand pat. See how April-June go before giving up a substantial portion of the farm... We just traded a couple good peices to Miami, lets see where we're at with what we have.. The rotation is already significantly better then last years.

Dickey's said that the knuckleball feels good in domes. No worry about rain, temperature, etc.

MurrayBannerman 12-15-2012 01:24 AM

Quote:

‏@JeffPassan Source: Mets and Blue Jays on the verge of deal that would send R.A. Dickey to Toronto, Travis D'Arnaud to Mets. Teams looking at medicals.
Quote:

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan

There would be more players involved in the trade than Dickey and D'Arnaud. They are the principals.
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/statu...33417292591104

cyris 12-15-2012 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman (Post 56557619)

Dear god no.