HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   NHL Draft - Prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Finnish Junior Players Scouting Reports (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1309213)

Eyelanders 12-18-2012 09:57 AM

Finnish Junior Players Scouting Reports

Hello,

I have thought of bringing here my scouting reports of junior players. Since I live In Finland, I watch Finnish prospects more than the others. There are very good players playing in this country that will be eligible for the future NHL drafts. I am going to try to update this thread quite regularly. At least for now, I pick players that have a chance at being selected in the draft. So not all are sure picks.

Panu Mieho

Birthdate 1995.01.24
Center - HIFK (Jr. A)
Height 5´11" - Weight 154 lbs - Shoots Left
Stats 2012-13: 29 GP 5+16=21 +10 6 PIM

I had the chance to see Mieho playing last year quite a lot, and I think that he has developed well since then. This year, he´s been one of the most productive rookies in the league. While he may be a long shot to be selected in next year´s NHL Entry Draft, he might have some interesting upside.

Mieho is not the tallest player for a 17-year-old, listed at 5´11". But he is a very good playmaker and a solid two-way center. He has seen a good amount of ice-time this season. He makes good decisions with the puck and controls the puck very well. Mieho is pretty good in face-offs and also skates well. Although there are good things in his game, he could bulk up a little bit and work on his scoring efficiency. Being ranked by NHL Central Scouting at #27 (Finland), it´s not sure if he gets picked by an NHL Team. But nonetheless, he is a player to keep an eye on.

I will post next probably tomorrow or so if I´ll have some time.

Tormentor 12-18-2012 12:05 PM

I’m looking forward to reading your thoughts on different prospects. Do you think there are any interesting Finnish 2013 prospects missing from Central Scouting’s list?

Eyelanders 12-19-2012 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tormentor (Post 56645227)
I’m looking forward to reading your thoughts on different prospects. Do you think there are any interesting Finnish 2013 prospects missing from Central Scouting’s list?

There are not many players missimg who I´d call as NHL prospects. Maybe Kevin Lankinen, Mikke Levo or Joonas Lyytinen could be there. Levo may be the most interesting player of the three. A very smooth skater, good puck mover and a smart player. Has grown since last year. I look forward to see him playing a bit more, though.

So, here is my #2 Scouting Report:

Timi Lahtinen

Birthdate 1995.01.06
LW - Jokerit (Jr. A)
Height 6´2" - Weight 185 lbs - Shoots Left
Stats 2012-13: 28 GP 2+5=7 -3 6 PIM

NHL Central Scouting Ranking: 24th (Finland)

Lahtinen is an interesting prospect, even though he has not seen too much ice-time in the Junior A league. But last year he was a key player for Jokerit in the Junior B league when the team won the league. Lahtinen is a big, strong forward who is a responsible player. He can be actually a fairly dangerous player in the offensive zone when given time and space. A hard-worker as well. There is not too much offense to speak of, but it´s not that easy to score on 3rd or 4th line. He is a pretty good prospect though thanks to his solid effort that he makes on the ice.

Curley 12-19-2012 02:07 PM

One name I'd be curious to hear about is Jarno Karki. Is he a prospect? He seems to be a pretty big kid and seems to be doing fairly well in Jr. A. He also had strong numbers in Jr. B last year.

BusQuets 12-19-2012 02:19 PM

Can I get report on this Mikko Rantanen guy. 16 year old kid and just scored his first goal in the FEL. He seems like a new undersized finnish forward?

bebl 12-19-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuomaz (Post 56673905)
He seems like a new undersized finnish forward?

He is like 6'1...

Tormentor 12-19-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curley (Post 56673583)
One name I'd be curious to hear about is Jarno Karki. Is he a prospect? He seems to be a pretty big kid and seems to be doing fairly well in Jr. A. He also had strong numbers in Jr. B last year.

From my point of view he’s a clear omission by Central Scouting, plenty of inferior prospects on their list.

Quethas 12-20-2012 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuomaz (Post 56673905)
Can I get report on this Mikko Rantanen guy. 16 year old kid and just scored his first goal in the FEL. He seems like a new undersized finnish forward?

I will use my older text

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quethas (Post 56178781)
I liked what what I saw when Rantanen played in Pori against juniors.

He somewhat reminds me about Joel Armia in a sense that player has pretty good size (178 cm is definately old information, closer to 185 cm nowadays) but the skating is just horrible, and also it feels that the player has so much more to offer in the future years. I like what he can be, not what he is now.

Rantanen was really good passer when I saw him for the last time and I also thought that he is pretty smart. Shot seems to be fairly good also and what I can recall, stickhandling was okay too.

Checking and defending weren't that good probably mostly of poor skating. I also think that when you are bigger than most of other players, player should be more physical.

Quethas 12-20-2012 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curley (Post 56673583)

Big, talented and pretty skilled. Not the craftiest hands but he seems to be smart in offensive zone and has pretty good shot. He is not the flashiest player but usually the passes he makes are pretty smart.

On the other side he seems to be bit lazy, he is usually pretty lost at own end (he is there but not in the right place) and his skating needs a lot of work. He is pretty fast but the acceleration and agility are lacking. He could also use his size more since he is pretty impressive physically.

He reminds me about Mika Niemi (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=12329). The potential is there to be very succesful hockey player but I have my doubts. NHL-prospect? No.

Still I think he could be a lot better player than many from Central Scouting's list.

Eyelanders 12-20-2012 02:23 AM

I had just thought of writing about other Ässät prospect, Juho Lammikko. When Ässät came to town, he was really good. Played a confident hockey, although I thought his line mates were not the best. Entered the offensive zone easily and distributed the puck to other players on the ice. Not really a small player either at 6´0". I´m looking forward to see him playing more. He will play at World Under-17 Challenge.

TheRocket87 12-20-2012 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quethas (Post 56688011)

I don't see it. Same team and tendency to playmaking are the only connections. Their skillsets and styles are very different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparta2009 (Post 56688367)
I had just thought of writing about other Ässät prospect, Juho Lammikko. When Ässät came to town, he was really good. Played a confident hockey, although I thought his line mates were not the best. Entered the offensive zone easily and distributed the puck to other players on the ice. Not really a small player either at 6´0". I´m looking forward to see him playing more. He will play at World Under-17 Challenge.

Lammikko has looked very out of place in jr.A, but has impressed in jr.B so we'll see.

I'd like a report on Anton Levtchi from Tappara. He's still young, but doesn't seem to get the attention those stats might deserve.

Tormentor 12-20-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRocket87 (Post 56688719)
I'd like a report on Anton Levtchi from Tappara. He's still young, but doesn't seem to get the attention those stats might deserve.

To some extent a skilled and imaginative forward, but needs to work on every aspect of the game. Who knows, with hard work might eventually develop into a SM-liiga player, but I don't see him as a notable prospect at this point.

R S 12-21-2012 12:54 PM

Would like to hear some more on:

Miro Aaltonen and Petteri Lindbohm

Eyelanders 12-22-2012 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings (Post 56718629)
Would like to hear some more on:

Miro Aaltonen and Petteri Lindbohm

I don´t know much about Aaltonen, but I have seen Lindbohm playing the past two seasons, so I´ll share my thoughts on him:

A big, strong stay-at-home defenseman who likes to hit and play the physical game. Useful on PK. On the downside, he is not very skillfull with the puck, but he makes a good first pass. Despite his size, I thought in the juniors that his balance could use some work. It appears this has improved. In my opinion he also will need to work on his skating both ways. He has a bit limited upside and I don´t believe he will play in the NHL anytime soon. All in all he is a decent prospect, but I have personally not been a fan of him.

Leehh 12-22-2012 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparta2009 (Post 56734037)
I don´t know much about Aaltonen, but I have seen Lindbohm playing the past two seasons, so I´ll share my thoughts on him:

A big, strong stay-at-home defenseman who likes to hit and play the physical game. Useful on PK. On the downside, he is not very skillfull with the puck, but he makes a good first pass. Despite his size, I thought in the juniors that his balance could use some work. It appears this has improved. In my opinion he also will need to work on his skating both ways. He has a bit limited upside and I don´t believe he will play in the NHL anytime soon. All in all he is a decent prospect, but I have personally not been a fan of him.

He reminds me lot of Sbisa and like you said, he need's to improve skating quite a bit.

Eyelanders 01-10-2013 04:44 AM

NHL Draft Rankings

I have done some lists of players eligible for the future NHL Drafts. These will not include scouting reports, just my lists of players as I said.

1. Aleksander Barkov (Tappara)
2. Rasmus Ristolainen (TPS)
3. Artturi Lehkonen (KalPa)
4. Juuso Ikonen (Blues)
5. Miro Aaltonen (Blues)
6. Joose Antonen (JYP)
7. Atte Mäkinen (Tappara)
8. Saku Salminen (Jokerit)
9. Aleksi Mustonen (K-Vantaa)
10. Thomas Nykopp (HIFK)

1. Kasperi Kapanen (KalPa)
2. Joel Kiviranta (Jokerit)
3. Waltteri Hopponen (Blues)
4. Jaakko Hälli (Tappara)
5. Eetu Sopanen (Pelicans)
6. Teemu Lämsä (TPS)
7. Julius Honka (JYP)
8. Joni Tuulola (HPK)
9. Juho Lammikko (Ässät)
10. Alex Lintuniemi (Jokerit)

1. Aleksi Saarela (Lukko)
2. Julius Nättinen (JYP)
3. Sebastian Aho (Kärpät)
4. Jarkko Parikka (SaiPa)
5. Veeti Vainio (Blues)
6. Ville Järvinen (Ilves)
7. Joonas Niemelä (Blues)
8. Sami Tavernier (HIFK)
9. Jere Huuhka (JYP)
10. Otto Saarimaa (HIFK)

2016 - Some players to watch

Markus Nurmi (TPS)
Patrik Laine (Tappara)
Olli Juolevi (Jokerit)
Niko Lönnroos (HIFK)
Jesse Puljujärvi (Kärpät)

ChadS 01-10-2013 05:34 AM

I know he's probably not an NHL prospect but has anyone seen Teemu Pulkkinen vol 2? He put up good points last year in Jr.B (top-3 in goals) but for some reason he didn't make their Jr.A team this season. Now he has 46 pts in 26 Jr.B games. It seems strange that he hasn't played even one game of Jr.A yet.

thomast 01-10-2013 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparta2009 (Post 57384109)
I have done some lists of players eligible for the future NHL Drafts. These will not include scouting reports, just my lists of players as I said.

1. Aleksander Barkov (Tappara)
2. Rasmus Ristolainen (TPS)
3. Artturi Lehkonen (KalPa)
4. Juuso Ikonen (Blues)
5. Miro Aaltonen (Blues)
6. Joose Antonen (JYP)
7. Atte Mäkinen (Tappara)
8. Saku Salminen (Jokerit)
9. Aleksi Mustonen (K-Vantaa)
10. Thomas Nykopp (HIFK)

1. Kasperi Kapanen (KalPa)
2. Joel Kiviranta (Jokerit)
3. Waltteri Hopponen (Blues)
4. Jaakko Hälli (Tappara)
5. Eetu Sopanen (Pelicans)
6. Teemu Lämsä (TPS)
7. Julius Honka (JYP)
8. Joni Tuulola (HPK)
9. Juho Lammikko (Ässät)
10. Alex Lintuniemi (Jokerit)

1. Aleksi Saarela (Lukko)
2. Julius Nättinen (JYP)
3. Sebastian Aho (Kärpät)
4. Jarkko Parikka (SaiPa)
5. Veeti Vainio (Blues)
6. Ville Järvinen (Ilves)
7. Joonas Niemelä (Blues)
8. Sami Tavernier (HIFK)
9. Jere Huuhka (JYP)
10. Otto Saarimaa (HIFK)

2016 - Some players to watch

Markus Nurmi (TPS)
Patrik Laine (Tappara)
Olli Juolevi (Jokerit)
Niko Lönnroos (HIFK)
Jesse Puljujärvi (Kärpät)

Missing Mikko Rantanen from the 2015 draft.

Eyelanders 01-10-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomast (Post 57384901)
Missing Mikko Rantanen from the 2015 draft.

Wow, I somehow forget him. He would be probably 2nd or 3rd on the 2015 list. :)

Teuehikan 01-10-2013 09:16 AM

Where do you rank overager Henri Ikonen in 2013 draft?

BusQuets 01-10-2013 09:59 AM

Espoo Blues' Aleksi Rutanen is making debut tonight -94 born. Also Nico Nyberg is playing his 2nd game tonight. He had some nice moves in his first game. He is -93 born.

Aleksi Rutanen is 185cm playing at wing
Nico Nyberg is 184cm playing also at wing

Wonder if either have chance to get drafted in later rounds.

YARR123 01-10-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuomaz (Post 57388191)
Espoo Blues' Aleksi Rutanen is making debut tonight -94 born. Also Nico Nyberg is playing his 2nd game tonight. He had some nice moves in his first game. He is -93 born.

Aleksi Rutanen is 185cm playing at wing
Nico Nyberg is 184cm playing also at wing

Wonder if either have chance to get drafted in later rounds.

I strongly doubt it, especially on Nyberg's case. He doesn't have any particular side of his game that really stands out, and he's already 19. Should've made the WJC team to have had any kind of shot at getting picked imo.

I haven't seen Rutanen that much, but he should at least be quite high on the list for WJC hopefuls for 2014. Statswise he seems to have taken a big step from last year, where he mostly played in jr. B, and now he's making his pro debut only a year later.

SI90 01-10-2013 01:02 PM

Thanks Sparta!! Was wondering what are your thoughts about 2012 2nd round pick Ville Pokka?
Thank you

Eyelanders 01-10-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teuehikan (Post 57387039)
Where do you rank overager Henri Ikonen in 2013 draft?

I didn´t have too many chances to watch Ikonen playing when he played in Finland, but it certainly sounds like he has developed in the OHL. I liked his skating and mix of physical play and skill. I really would like to see him playing with Kingston.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 (Post 57395775)
Thanks Sparta!! Was wondering what are your thoughts about 2012 2nd round pick Ville Pokka?
Thank you

Pokka did not have the greatest start to the season in my eyes, however, he has picked up his game lately. I really like his ability to move the puck out of the d-zone. He also has a good point shot which he constantly gets to the net. Still not the best skater, but there is plenty of time for him to improve. His decision making is solid. I really think that he is a very nice pick by the Islanders. There is definitely plenty of potential in this player.

Tormentor 01-10-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparta2009 (Post 57384109)

Kaapo Kähkönen needs to be high in the 2014 ranking, I think. I don’t see Kiviranta as much of a NHL prospect, a pretty good player, but probably doesn’t have the required qualities unless he grows a good amount of height. Hälli doesn’t belong to top-10 IMO, decent defensively but puck skills and vision aren’t good enough. Miikka Pitkänen is a little skinny hobbit, but at this point he’s probably still top-10 solely based on talent. Hopponen and Lammikko are fairly similar players, not sure whether the gap between them is that big.

Vainio is IMO the top D for 2015 at this point, he has good upside. Waltteri Ruuskanen would probably be my 2nd D at the moment. From skilled forwards I like Jonne Tammela more than Sami Tavernier at this point. I'm not a fan of Niemelä, I think there are better prospects than him for top-10. Sami Niku is two months older than Jere Huuhka but a much better D at this point, not that easy to tell which one is the better prospect though. BTW, JYP seems to have a fairly good group of 2015 eligible prospects; in addition to Nättinen, Tammela, Niku and Huuhka they have goalie Veini Vehviläinen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChadS (Post 57384411)
I know he's probably not an NHL prospect but has anyone seen Teemu Pulkkinen vol 2? He put up good points last year in Jr.B (top-3 in goals) but for some reason he didn't make their Jr.A team this season. Now he has 46 pts in 26 Jr.B games. It seems strange that he hasn't played even one game of Jr.A yet.

He might have some trouble with the higher tempo and physical requirements of Jr.A hockey. He’s a fairly skilled player, but quite small, not strong, and not exceptionally fast. In addition Blues has a relatively strong Jr.A team, so it’s not the easiest job finding a roster spot there.