HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Vancouver Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   GDT: World Junior Discussion (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1310121)

Mr. Canucklehead 12-20-2012 01:47 PM

World Junior Discussion

With exhibition games beginning earlier this morning, I thought it would be good for us to have a place to discuss the tournament.

I watched the first two periods this morning - pretty lacklustre effort. Not much to write home about, really; Nugent-Hopkins and Scheifle had some flashes together, particularly with the man advantage, and I liked Drouin and MacKinnon's hustle and talent, but other than that, a very forgettable outting.

Hodgy 12-20-2012 02:34 PM

The title should be: "HF Canucks' Posters Criticize Canadian Blue Line"

luongoisdaman 12-20-2012 03:15 PM

Not impressed by anyone in particular, even RNH showed some undisciplined play. We really need to get used to the international style of reffing real quick. Hopefully (Byron) Ritchie isn't injured, or else we'll have to call up Brad Invisibister.

StringerBell 12-20-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hodgy (Post 56700571)

Well, it wouldn't exactly been unwarranted. I was particularly unimpressed with Wotherspoon. H was constantly chasing the play in his own zone, had trouble clearing the puck, and partially screened Subban on Finland's last two goals without even trying to block the shot.

Just don't bring it up on the main boards :shakehead

timw33 12-20-2012 04:25 PM

We're all going to work together to create a hi-light package of every single mistake the CDN D-men make and post on the main boards. Mega Troll.

pahlsson 12-20-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StringerBell (Post 56702235)
Well, it wouldn't exactly been unwarranted. I was particularly unimpressed with Wotherspoon. H was constantly chasing the play in his own zone, had trouble clearing the puck, and partially screened Subban on Finland's last two goals without even trying to block the shot.

Just don't bring it up on the main boards :shakehead

yeah don't do this, you'll just come off as biased canucks fans which you guys definitely aren't

vanuck 12-20-2012 04:48 PM

6 posts in and Corrado hasn't even been mentioned yet? I am surprised. :sarcasm:

Hollywood Burrows 12-20-2012 04:57 PM

Hockey Canada did a decent job with the player selection, but once again they brought in junior coaches. These guys are consistently in over their heads at this event. The interviews I've seen with Spott give off a "just happy to be here" vibe that is not encouraging.

luongo321 12-20-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hodgy (Post 56700571)

Now, this is something I can get behind, Hodgy! :handclap:

Reverend Mayhem 12-20-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollywood Burrows (Post 56704143)
Hockey Canada did a decent job with the player selection, but once again they brought in junior coaches. These guys are consistently in over their heads at this event. The interviews I've seen with Spott give off a "just happy to be here" vibe that is not encouraging.

Brent Sutter was pretty good in '05. Didn't hurt that he was extremely out of place coaching juniors and had an excellent team to boot.

jigsaw99 12-20-2012 06:06 PM

how much Nathan McKionnon played?

Royal Canuck 12-20-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollywood Burrows (Post 56704143)

It has been a while since a head coach has really taken control of the team since Pat Quinn in 2009, kinda ironic that 2009 was the last time we've won gold. And with the lockout, you would think Hockey Canada could find a decent NHL head coach like Dan Bylsma or something.

Tiranis 12-20-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal Canuck (Post 56707183)
It has been a while since a head coach has really taken control of the team since Pat Quinn in 2009, kinda ironic that 2009 was the last time we've won gold. And with the lockout, you would think Hockey Canada could find a decent NHL head coach like Dan Bylsma or something.

Coaches are still employed and likely do other things, no? I doubt the Penguins would pay Bylsma so he can go coach junior.

Royal Canuck 12-20-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiranis (Post 56707303)
Coaches are still employed and likely do other things, no? I doubt the Penguins would pay Bylsma so he can go coach junior.

What could Dan Bylsma possibly be doing right now during the lockout? All games are cancelled through the 14th, AV is living with his parents for crying out loud. You'd think there would be someone out there who would want to coach the national team.

arsmaster 12-20-2012 08:03 PM

The only Canadian defensman who I'd say played well today was Reinhart.

Hamilton forces plays that arent there (don't like Rielly and him together...doesn't work for me).

Ouelette I'll give a pass for rust, but he looked pretty weak out there, couldn't make a breakout pass to save his life.

Ryan Murphy, I would hate to play with. You can never tell what's going on in his head. It's exciting and hard to defend, but in a team system/dynamic it would be hard to adjust.

The pairs I'd like to see are:
Harrington-Hamilton
Reinhart-Rielly (guys who can skate like Morgan should have little issue playing the off side on big ice)

The last 3 just mix and match until something works.

I found JC Lipon the most diverse forward today. He seemed to slot into every line seamlessly. I liked his game a lot.

Not overly impressed with Strome and I wouldn't be surprised if Mackinnon steals that #2c spot by the medal round. Also think Strome would make a better winger than mackinnon so far.

shortshorts 12-20-2012 08:34 PM

Russia is gonna take this.

B-rock 12-20-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal Canuck (Post 56707183)

LOL, Dan Bylsma is a yank.

Vankiller Whale 12-20-2012 09:09 PM

So when Canada loses the Gold medal game due to a flukey bounce, we'll know it happened because Corrado was cut, amirite?

Scottrockztheworld* 12-20-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale (Post 56709025)
So when Canada loses the Gold medal game due to a flukey bounce, we'll know it happened because Corrado was cut, amirite?

Hockey Gods' will

"thou shalt not cut Corrado"

Royal Canuck 12-20-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-rock (Post 56708945)
LOL, Dan Bylsma is a yank.

A yank with a stanley cup ring.

PG Canuck 12-20-2012 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal Canuck (Post 56710925)

Did you just completely miss the point of his post or...?

KevinBXA 12-21-2012 08:59 AM

Is anyone aware of bars or pubs showing the games? I figure someone must be showing at least Canada and the medal rounds

y2kcanucks 12-21-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal Canuck (Post 56710925)

So he's qualified to coach team USA?

crazycanuck 12-21-2012 09:53 AM

@markhmasters
Hudon out for the tournament; Mark McNeill gets the call to replace him

Nuck This 12-21-2012 10:24 AM

I hope Canada loses. I'm a Canucks fan first. Team Canada second..... And I hope Wortherspoon and Reinhart have a tough time adjusting to the big ice.