HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   International Tournaments (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   GDT: Exhibition • Dec. 22 • Canada 2, Sweden 1 (SO) • Part II (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1310839)

Systemfel 12-22-2012 01:13 PM

Exhibition • Dec. 22 • Canada 2, Sweden 1 (SO) • Part II

Continue...

Benny FTW 12-22-2012 01:18 PM

This is gonna be a big suspension.

LOFIN 12-22-2012 01:20 PM

I don't think Jenner should be suspended for anything more than 1-2 games, if any at all. The contact was clean IMO, and there wasn't any malicious intent to injury. I think the IIHF might give him 1 game just as reminder to use your head more, don't make reckless plays, let go if you can't complete a clean hit.

Though if they remember the spearing incident from last year and decide to throw something extra for repeat offender, that's another case.

y2kcanucks 12-22-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOFIN (Post 56742207)
I don't think Jenner should be suspended for anything more than 1-2 games, if any at all. The contact was clean IMO, and there wasn't any malicious intent to injury. I think the IIHF might give him 1 game just as reminder to use your head more, don't make reckless plays, let go if you can't complete a clean hit.

Though if they remember the spearing incident from last year and decide to throw something extra for repeat offender, that's another case.

Just saw the hit. It was a clean hit, but late. If the Swedish plaer had the puck at that point or had JUST gotten rid of it I would say that shouldn't even be a penalty as it was just a big kid taking out a soft kid, but as it stands it was a late hit. I don't think he should be suspended all tournament, but probably 2 games sounds about right.

MyNameIsNobody* 12-22-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2kcanucks (Post 56742373)
Just saw the hit. It was a clean hit, but late. If the Swedish plaer had the puck at that point or had JUST gotten rid of it I would say that shouldn't even be a penalty as it was just a big kid taking out a soft kid, but as it stands it was a late hit. I don't think he should be suspended all tournament, but probably 2 games sounds about right.

I'm sure the iihf will make an example of this. I see 4 games minimum.

General Granny* 12-22-2012 01:30 PM

Bring in Monahan.

MyNameIsNobody* 12-22-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Granny (Post 56742433)
Bring in Monahan.

That's what I thought at first but changing towards Graovac

conway902 12-22-2012 01:31 PM

The lack of MacKinnon when we have a short bench is a pathetic display of coaching. :rant:

MyNameIsNobody* 12-22-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conway902 (Post 56742469)
The lack of MacKinnon when we have a short bench is a pathetic display of coaching. :rant:

Agree 100% with you. I think spot is a little slow

MyNameIsNobody* 12-22-2012 01:34 PM

Spot is the reason we won't medal starting from this teams selection and the way he uses his players. Very slow

conway902 12-22-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody (Post 56742535)
Spot is the reason we won't medal starting from this teams selection and the way he uses his players. Very slow

Breaking news...............MacKinnon, Drouin and huberdeau could possibly have some chemistry..................

FiLe 12-22-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOFIN (Post 56742207)

If we are to look this strictly as an isolated incident, anything from the initial misconduct to one or two games maximum wouldn't be off the line.

But more would certainly have a nice poetic ring to it, given how despite technically playing by the rules, Jenner is obviously in bad need of a lesson in the art of respecting your opponent.

y2kcanucks 12-22-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FiLe (Post 56742733)
If we are to look this strictly as an isolated incident, anything from the initial misconduct to one or two games maximum wouldn't be off the line.

But more would certainly have a nice poetic ring to it, given how despite technically playing by the rules, Jenner is obviously in bad need of a lesson in the art of respecting your opponent.

Jenner is an intense player who plays the game tough. I feel bad for the Swedish defenseman, but let's just say, for a second, that Petterssen still had the puck and got hit. To me that's a clean hit. The fact that it was late is why there should be some penalty. IMO getting kicked out of the game is probably enough, but since it's international rules where tough play tends to be shunned upon, I could see 2 games max as being justifiable. Anything more and it becomes a joke.

LOFIN 12-22-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2kcanucks (Post 56742373)

Yeah, with better luck, most of the force would have not hit the shoulder alone, thus injuring him. If Pettersson had only been knocked down, it would have been a minor, but the IIHF rulebook says that if a foul results in an injury, the minor becomes a major. I don't know if the referees called it an interference or charging, but it doesn't matter, he got ejected and it was the right call.

dannyboy8920 12-22-2012 01:51 PM

Tad late. Deserves 1 game. Had he not been frail, it would have probably just been a 2 min.

Sorry to say it. I don't like to see people get hurt. But i don't see anything here that screams "SEND HIM HOME! HE IS A DISGRACE!"

EDIT: didn't realize the rule book states that if a injury is the result, then major is imminent. Good to know.

FiLe 12-22-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2kcanucks (Post 56742785)
Jenner is an intense player who plays the game tough.

Last year, apart from the spearing incident, Jenner ended two players', Määttä and Isangulov's tournaments prematurely. Now Petterson had to be loaded into an ambulance thanks to him.

Even if they all were from clean hits according to the rulebook, no one's arguing that, it's still the kind of intensity and toughness the game can do without.

It's not my call to make whether it should be ruled as an isolated incident or one that warrants more. But whatever the ruling board decides, it won't feel a faulty one and is far from a joke. You can play tough and you can play clean, but when guys get injured despite that, a line has been crossed regardless.

jigglysquishy 12-22-2012 01:58 PM

If that was a hit in the NHL circa '95 not only would it not be a suspension, but likely wouldn't even be a minor penalty.

arsmaster 12-22-2012 02:07 PM

Tad late but no head to me = no suspension at all.

If the kids ribs are broken, he's going to have to work on his core strength. Hockey is a physical game and impacts like that occur in almost every game.

I agree it was late but it shouldn't have been a 5 or a game IMO, so tacking on a suspension would be extremely harsh to say the least.

LPH 12-22-2012 02:11 PM

late hits are dirty and dangerous, Jenner had time to let up but decided to continue through. We don't need that and this tournament especially will not tolerate it. big suspension incoming.

mikko1995 12-22-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arsmaster (Post 56743215)
Tad late but no head to me = no suspension at all.

If the kids ribs are broken, he's going to have to work on his core strength. Hockey is a physical game and impacts like that occur in almost every game.

I agree it was late but it shouldn't have been a 5 or a game IMO, so tacking on a suspension would be extremely harsh to say the least.

Petterson suffered a dislocated shoulder and a broken wrist, instead of broken ribs.

Krut 12-22-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FiLe (Post 56743253)
Right, I'm a puppy now because I don't wanna see players get hurt that bad?

Okay, the obvious retort is that go watch sport other than hockey. Yes, I fully understand these things can and will happen in the heat of the game. But I think it becomes a little too much if they happen to a same guy repeatedly.

I think the Brits had a pretty good ruling when they were trying to keep things in order during the Troubles: "Once is an accident. Twice is happenstance. Three times, it's enemy action."

Hockey is a tough game. If you get hurt and they play is clean, then tough ****.

It pains me to see the way the IIHF seems to want to remove all physicality from the game. The minor to major for an injury is one of the dumbest rules I've ever seen.

jigglysquishy 12-22-2012 02:19 PM

If that Swede didn't admire his pass he wouldn't have got hurt. At least half the injuries in hockey are because players aren't paying attention. This hit. The Crosby concussion. Every Lindros concussion.

You're taught this when you're ten. Head up. Pay attention.

Gally and Chucky 12-22-2012 02:23 PM

Tad late, clean hit. 2 for interference and case closed if it were up to me. This is hockey, this is a contact sport. Injuries will happen.

FiLe 12-22-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krut (Post 56743357)
Hockey is a tough game. If you get hurt and they play is clean, then tough ****.

It pains me to see the way the IIHF seems to want to remove all physicality from the game. The minor to major for an injury is one of the dumbest rules I've ever seen.

I wish people would pay attention to the fact that I'm not trying to say this thing, as an isolated incident is possibly worth anything more than what Jenner was already served. So in that sense I fully agree with most of the other people around.

These things happen, have happened and will keep on happening and nothing can be done to completely clean the game of them. And most of them are accidents with no malevolent intentions. Serving suspensions for them is definitely a little harsh, especially since often the hittee is almost as responsible as the hitter.

However, I just can't help but wonder why these things seem to be happening to one and the same guy over and over again... and whether something should be done about that.

LPH 12-22-2012 02:26 PM

if it was RNH who got hit, the feeling would be very different...