HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The History of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Trevor Linden or Joe Mullen? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1310889)

Puckgenius* 12-22-2012 03:28 PM

Trevor Linden or Joe Mullen?

The better player in his prime? Saw some Mullen when he was a flame but not much when he was a Pen.

thom 12-22-2012 03:53 PM

Though I 'm from Bc Joe Mullin was a great american player who is in the hall of fame and has a edge should be no discussion.Lindon was a class guy a player who showed up in big games and was a good captain but he will never be in the hall.Edge Mullin

Analyzer* 12-22-2012 03:55 PM

Wasn't Joe Mullen a 50 goal scorer and got over 500 ?

Plus he wore that.. I don't even know what it's called around his neck. It was massive.

kmad 12-22-2012 04:35 PM

For a playoff run I'd take Linden.

BillyShoe1721 12-22-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagorim Jarg (Post 56745973)
For a playoff run I'd take Linden.

Then you'd be a fool. Linden has one great playoff run and two decent other years, but Mullen led the playoffs in goals twice, and has four playoffs of 17+ points, and Linden has just one. Mullen had the benefit of playing on a great teams, but Mullen is still better. He has an offensive peak that Linden just can't match, even with his advantage in physicality and two-way play.

tony d 12-22-2012 04:42 PM

Close but Joe Mullen

jkrx 12-22-2012 05:01 PM

I'd take Joe Mullen and I actually don't think its very close skill-wise.

Hardyvan123 12-22-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkrx (Post 56746499)
I'd take Joe Mullen and I actually don't think its very close skill-wise.

It's not close skill wise but Linden closes some of the gap with better physical 2 way play and the extremely subjective "intangibles".

That being said it's harder to replace the type of scorer Mullen was and he takes this rather easily IMO.

IComeInPeace 12-22-2012 07:27 PM

Mullen was an excellent complimentary player. Linden's numbers can not compare, but you could build your team around him.
At their peak, Linden for me, in a landslide.

Peter Griffin 12-22-2012 08:32 PM

Such a weird comparison...

vadim sharifijanov 12-22-2012 10:31 PM

canucks fan here saying that it's a clear edge to mullen.

as stated above, mullen was an excellent playoff performer, and a clutch performer over a much longer span of years than linden was. he also had a very underrated two-way game. not a selke guy, but definitely a good winger defensively. no worse than linden defensively, and very possibly better.

but on the other hand, linden was the more versatile player. he was a natural power winger who could also be pretty dominant first line center in his prime. he also had size, strength, and early on really good speed too. but despite all those great tools, the offensive instincts weren't in mullen's league.

the funny thing is if both guys were in their primes, i bet more than half of the GMs in the league would have traded mullen for linden in a heartbeat. and in most cases, that probably would turn out to be a mistake.

it's like imagine it's 1998. most GMs would probably trade mark recchi for keith primeau, right? but would that be the right move in the long or short runs? under very specific circumstances, yes. but the way things actually turned out, most teams probably should have just kept recchi. you might even go as far as to say the same thing about recchi vs. sundin in, say, 1994 or '95.

seventieslord 12-23-2012 01:03 AM

Linden got a vote? And another one???

VanIslander 12-23-2012 04:03 AM

What a strange poll question. I never thought of ever comparing these two, playing such different styles. Mullen waits for passes, Linden goes down low. Joe has a great release, Linden uses positioning and hustle.

In an all-time context it's like comparing a second liner with a third liner. Different roles and different skill sets.

Big Linden has Made Team Canada's Olympic squad based on Bottom-6 qualities that little Mullen never had.

Plus their career arc is different. Linden thrived early and hit his peak in the 1994 Cup run, as leader; Mullen grew in impact over his career and after his half decade in St. Louis truly emerged in Calgary, surrounded by greatness, not much of a leader except as a trigger man on stat sheets.

Linden was more valuable to the Canucks franchise than Mullen ever was to the Blues or Flames. But yeah, there's no doubt who could score more.

Ogopogo* 12-24-2012 06:56 AM

Trevor Linden wasn't really that good. Vancouver's version of Ryan Smyth.

Ogie Goldthorpe 12-27-2012 03:01 PM

Not going to vote because I don't want to embarrass Linden further.

Two better polls would be...

Linden vs Kirk Muller

and

Mullen vs. Steve Larmer

redbull 12-27-2012 03:58 PM

weird comparison. Not voting.

Joe Mullen was a damn great little player though.

Yamaguchi* 12-27-2012 04:31 PM

weird poll, indeed..

How about Darius Kasparaitis vs Clint Malarchuk poll?

Steve Kournianos 12-27-2012 09:34 PM

Mullen was the American Mike Bossy until Hull exploded onto the scene (if you want to consider Hull an American).

Not close IMO. Linden was more a fan favorite than an elite player.

Big Phil 12-28-2012 01:13 AM

I know Mullen gets a lot of flack for being in the HHOF. I personally think if he weren't in there today that he would be a name that would constantly get brought up. So it goes both ways. Mullen was better than Linden though, career and peak. We never saw Linden reach a 1989 Mullen. Linden in the 1994 playoffs was epic but Mullen has the 1989 postseason as well and he ended up winning a Cup to boot. Both players have that trifecta of players responsible (MacInnis, Mullen, Vernon) (Bure, McLean, Linden)

westvandal 12-28-2012 01:23 AM

I'm the hugest fan of Linden but Mullen was an elite player for several years and a much more effective bottom sixer in the twilight of his career. Plus he has 3 cup rings.

davebenj 12-28-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westvandal (Post 56852149)
I'm the hugest fan of Linden but Mullen was an elite player for several years and a much more effective bottom sixer in the twilight of his career. Plus he has 3 cup rings.

Agreed, and I loved Linden and disliked Mullen (but only because I really, really hated the Penguins)

tombombadil 12-28-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogopogo (Post 56778937)
Trevor Linden wasn't really that good. Vancouver's version of Ryan Smyth.

that's an accurate assessment. "Guys that tried really hard, while playing in Canadian markets". It made everyone love them, and their name keeps getting said again and again, sometimes even with a crazily hyperbolic moniker attached (ie. 'Captain Canada.. sounds pretty impressive, no?)

I'd throw Kirk Muller into this group, and, although I feel he is a better player than this group, had Winnipeg stayed in Winnipeg, Shane Doan would be a demi-God in Canadian media.

Another example of this sensation was nearly Darcy Tucker. Grapes was sure trying to push him as the best player in Toronto for at least two seasons... just no one swallowed that he was better than Mats... but he would have fit the 'gritty, semi-talented' criteria well had his media rep taken off.

tjcurrie 12-28-2012 10:18 AM

I agree it's a tough comparison.

I saw someone say Mullen vs Larmer. That'd be better. Or Mullen vs Ciccarelli.

Sens Rule 12-28-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tombombadil (Post 56865681)
that's an accurate assessment. "Guys that tried really hard, while playing in Canadian markets". It made everyone love them, and their name keeps getting said again and again, sometimes even with a crazily hyperbolic moniker attached (ie. 'Captain Canada.. sounds pretty impressive, no?)

I'd throw Kirk Muller into this group, and, although I feel he is a better player than this group, had Winnipeg stayed in Winnipeg, Shane Doan would be a demi-God in Canadian media.

Another example of this sensation was nearly Darcy Tucker. Grapes was sure trying to push him as the best player in Toronto for at least two seasons... just no one swallowed that he was better than Mats... but he would have fit the 'gritty, semi-talented' criteria well had his media rep taken off.

Or Wendel Clark as an obvious one.

Mullen is undeniably the more talented player that was better offensively. HOWEVER those heart and soul players. More physical... Leaders. Like Linden, Smyth, Wendel, Muller. Or maybe the ultimate guy like that in Tonelli. You win with those guys. You don't win if they are you best or second best forwards obviously... but to have those kind of players you win.

HOWEVER!!!!! And I learned a lot in refreshing my memory. Mullen led the playoffs in goals in both the 1986 finals appearance and win in 1989 by the Flames. And he got 110 points to lead (by far) the stacked with stars and good players 1989 Flames.

Before checking out Mullen on Hockey Reference I didn't remember how high his PPG was early on. Didn't realize he had so many shortened seasons from injury. He is world's above Linden or Smyth. He played over 1000 games at a high level. If he had just 600 or so at the level he did you could argue for a lesser player with a longer career.... but not with a 1000 game guy. I didn't realize he was in the CHL until age 24. Looking at his crushing numbers as a rookie he likely could have been a star from age 20 if he had been in the NHL.

And this is interesting?

1998-99 41 United States WC-Q 3 0 3 3 0

What is WC-Q? Is it qualifying for the World Championship? Long after he retired? Interesting. Anyone know about that when Mullen was 41?

tombombadil 12-28-2012 10:47 AM

^^^Clark is a perfect example ^^^

I'm referencing numbers, because of this comparo, too.

Surprised to see that Linden had 1 game winner in the '94 run. Pav had 2, and Geoff Courtnall had 3! Linden also scored a lot more on the PP, less at even strength, and it shows in his plus/minus.

All of that surprised me, but I should be ready for that, by now.

As a Canucks fan, in those days, I really don't even remember Trevor as a physical, or defensive force. He was big, and he was the captain. Sometimes, just maybe, when you take all the interviews, and you are the captain, and the number one Canadian player on a team, maybe you get stamped with an 'intangibles badge'

I'm not basing this off of the one playoff run, but ONE Game Winner? And that's all we know, and knew in 94 about Trev was - clutch! This guy ain't no shrinking Russian. He's Captain Clutch... Vancouver's Messier.

I'm now going to look for his fights, because I don't remember him doing much of it, or being very good. Not that that is a problem, but I think I have been under the impression that he was a shot-blocking, clutch-scoring, team on his back, physical force.

Edit - I must admit he was willing to stick his neck out with some scary opponents.