HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Ottawa Senators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Rumor: Garrioch: Gonchar to Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1310931)

Pitlick* 12-22-2012 06:01 PM

Garrioch: Gonchar to Penguins
 
http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/12/22/...sergei-gonchar

This rumour actually makes a lot of sense. And Pittsburgh has a surplus of good defense prospects.

Could the Sens somehow get Harrington or Despres, even if they added to the package (and what would they add)?

The one thing we truly lack in prospects is a top-end defensive defenseman. Cowen isn't a prospect anymore. Boro plays hard and with heart, but he looks more like a Lance Pitlick type 4-6 d-man, and is almost too small for the game he plays.

FolignoQuantumLeap 12-22-2012 06:08 PM

You get a gold star for a Lance Pitlick reference.

I don't see why the Pens would need another big contract on D with the influx of youth they're ready to recieve at that position.

The Expert 12-22-2012 06:10 PM

Definitely see the Pens wanting Gonchar, can't really see the return being a heck of a lot. If the Pens hadn't signed Vokoun, I'd easily drop Bishop in a deal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap (Post 56747601)
I don't see why the Pens would need another big contract on D with the influx of youth they're ready to recieve at that position.

He's a FA after this year, if they can fit him under the cap for this season I don't see why they wouldn't. A team like Pittsburgh hoping for a long run isn't going to want to rely on young, green guys.

HavlatMach9 12-22-2012 06:11 PM

If a season happens, we need him to make the playoffs, and obviously if we are in the hunt, we aren't letting him go. If we are sellers, then Gonchar to highest bidder, the Penguins or not.

Tyskie 12-22-2012 06:11 PM

Would have liked Michalek but it's a little late for that.

General Granny* 12-22-2012 06:21 PM

Despres if we add something.

More likely a 2nd rounder straight up for Go char.

Do Make Say Think 12-22-2012 06:39 PM

It should also help the Senators give a ton of ice time to some prospects and could improve our draft position if a season is played

Legend Killer 12-22-2012 06:51 PM

Give em the boot!!

General Granny* 12-22-2012 06:56 PM

What will the D look like if Gonchar is also out?

Methot- Karlsson
Philips- Benoit
Weircioch- Lundin

?

Philoops 12-22-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Granny (Post 56748407)
What will the D look like if Gonchar is also out?

Methot- Karlsson
Philips- Benoit
Weircioch- Lundin

?

:help: :cry:

GK 12-22-2012 07:02 PM

Yeeah, please don't give up Gonch yet..

DJB 12-22-2012 08:05 PM

Deal just doesn;t make sense to me.

1. With Cowen done, we already have some serious questions on the backend and to move a top 4 would be a head scratcher.

2. Gonchar didn't sign in Pitts because Shero wouldn't give him that 3rd year on the contract but now Shero wants him? Huh?

3. Pitts has a lot of guys on the backend capable of stepping in next season, no reason to add Gonchar imo.

ReginKarlssonLehner 12-22-2012 08:30 PM

Deal Gonch
Tank and get first pick
?????
Profit

JessicaN 12-22-2012 08:32 PM

We need gonchar just as much as pittsburgh does if not more...

General Granny* 12-22-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJB (Post 56749723)
Deal just doesn;t make sense to me.

1. With Cowen done, we already have some serious questions on the backend and to move a top 4 would be a head scratcher. ( Shortened season, the brass probably thinks Weircioch or Benoit could fill in Gonchar's spot for 48 games)

2. Gonchar didn't sign in Pitts because Shero wouldn't give him that 3rd year on the contract but now Shero wants him? Huh? ( It was because he had questions about his ability on the 3rd year but hes coming off a 30 point season and putting up points in the KHL, and looks like a shoe in for the olympics)

3. Pitts has a lot of guys on the backend capable of stepping in next season, no reason to add Gonchar imo. (Thats Pitts problem, they don't have a leader and a vet on the backened)



post

Lehner 12-22-2012 08:35 PM

How about a 1st rounder straight up? With how deep 2013 is I think I would do it.

Benjamin 12-22-2012 08:47 PM

Murray must think Weirhcoch is ready. Can't blame him.

sg58 12-22-2012 08:52 PM

Is this the same guy who broke the Malkin to Kings trade?

Benjamin 12-22-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steffeG (Post 56750717)
Is this the same guy who broke the Malkin to Kings trade?

Wow your so Naive. :sarcasm:

CanadianHockey 12-22-2012 09:05 PM

Honestly, I'd trade Gonchar come trade deadline. I don't expect this team to be more than a bubble team (like last year), and adding some more youth couldn't hurt.

Ouroboros 12-22-2012 09:08 PM

Better get that 10 team list to the Sens soon, Sergei!

Xspyrit 12-22-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benny FTW (Post 56750617)
Murray must think Weirhcoch is ready. Can't blame him.

Murray didn't think anything... it's just a rumor and it's coming from Garrioch's a..

Benjamin 12-22-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xspyrit (Post 56751557)
Murray didn't think anything... it's just a rumor and it's coming from Garrioch's a..

Obviously i meant if true.

Bennett Brauer 12-22-2012 10:30 PM

Pens fan here.

IF this rumor is true, I don't think the Penguins will offer much value for a 38/39 year old D who becomes a free agent next summer.

If Sergei Gonchar wants to return to Pittsburgh, he has the opportunity when his contract expires, the Penguins do have depth on D but they could use a good, veteran team guy who has been a key player here for 5 years. Also help teach/mentor some of the younger D prospects.

Some of you say trade him, some of you say don't because of Cowen.

I don't see the Penguins trading any of their D prospects for Gonchar, even in a package deal.

And if the response to that is "fine, we'll keep him" or "then we trade him to a team who will offer more" then that's fine. Like I said, if Gonchar wanrs to return to the Penguins, if the Sens don't like what the Penguins have to offer, he can do so in the Summer.

Do you guys even expect a season? With these negotiations, I'm surprised they didn't cancel the season yet.

HavlatMach9 12-22-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik (Post 56752685)
Do you guys even expect a season? With these negotiations, I'm surprised they didn't cancel the season yet.

Do Leafs fan stop talking about the playoffs until they are mathematically eliminated?

Thanks for the input. He was great for us last season and we'll have a hard time replacing his offensive game.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.