HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   looking for new skates (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1310967)

r3cc0s 12-22-2012 10:04 PM

looking for new skates

Been using a RBK 9k... but after a few hundred skates, they just don't hold up anymore

now that I've got a real job, there is less hockey... but nevertheless I'd perfer a good performing skate

so far the only skate that fit me well that I can tell is the RBK 8.5E's and I've tried wide's from Bauer and Easton, but found both too be too shallow and give me lace bite

I've heard the Graf 709's are the real other option, or go with a CCM?

thedonger 12-22-2012 10:38 PM

along with ccm i'd also check out nexus.

nullterm 12-22-2012 10:46 PM

If you have similar feet to mine, Reebok and CCM will have the best fit. But try on as many pairs as you can.

I wanted Bauer Supremes last skate upgrade but I was in agony the second I put them on. Ended up Reebok 6K 8E's had the best fit for me in my price range.

Lonny Bohonos 12-23-2012 12:25 AM

I have both the RBK 9Ks and the 11Ks.

The 11Ks are way better and the tongue is a proper felt tongue that holds up.

If you like the RBKs maybe go for the 11K. You can order at hockeymonckey.com for a good price if you know your fit.

nullterm 12-23-2012 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos (Post 56753637)
I have both the RBK 9Ks and the 11Ks.

The 11Ks are way better and the tongue is a proper felt tongue that holds up.

If you like the RBKs maybe go for the 11K. You can order at hockeymonckey.com for a good price if you know your fit.

How's the tendon guards on the 9Ks and 11Ks?

My 6Ks had small cracks on the outside where it connects to the boot in the first month, but held up fine. Now 3? years later playing 2x a week year round it looks like the guards are cracking all way round. Might only be superficial plastic on the outside, hoping they don't fall off.

Lonny Bohonos 12-23-2012 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nullterm (Post 56753931)
How's the tendon guards on the 9Ks and 11Ks?

My 6Ks had small cracks on the outside where it connects to the boot in the first month, but held up fine. Now 3? years later playing 2x a week year round it looks like the guards are cracking all way round. Might only be superficial plastic on the outside, hoping they don't fall off.

Ive had no issues yet with the 11Ks and have played with them for about 15 games. Look brand new except for the usually skate nicks.

My 9Ks got worn pretty quick in part due to my shin pad set up that was rubbing the tougue and the top eyelet area. I also notices some separation of the materials sandwich together in the tendon area but this did not effect the skate at all.

All in all the 9Ks are still in good enough condition aside from the tongue being cut by the shin pads and are my backups now.

r3cc0s 12-23-2012 11:28 PM

ended up taking a pair of 8k's...

8.5E, heated em up and they fit almost like a glove... i am blistering near the right ankle, but not badly... just something to break in

wow what a difference having a pair of skates that aren't broken down... my 9k's are significantly light... but lack any kind of heel or boot strenth, that I'm able to skate like I should...

I'm probably like 15% faster and am way more confidant with my tight turns... huge change to my game... scored 4 goals tonight

IDuck 12-23-2012 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r3cc0s (Post 56774793)
ended up taking a pair of 8k's...

8.5E, heated em up and they fit almost like a glove... i am blistering near the right ankle, but not badly... just something to break in

wow what a difference having a pair of skates that aren't broken down... my 9k's are significantly light... but lack any kind of heel or boot strenth, that I'm able to skate like I should...

I'm probably like 15% faster and am way more confidant with my tight turns... huge change to my game... scored 4 goals tonight

nice...im not a big rbk fan but i have the skates (going on roughly 4 years i think) and they still look/perform great...next pair of skates will def. be rbk's