HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The History of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Great Hockey Spawning Grounds (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1311223)

tombombadil 12-23-2012 07:14 PM

Great Hockey Spawning Grounds
 
Obviously, a giant majority of these will be Canadian, so I will plug for Ornskoldsvik. My starting lineup is:

Naslund-Sedin-Sedin
Hedman-Forsberg (ya, he's going to have to play D)


annnnd, because I am not aware of any goalies from Ornskoldvik, I will pull the goalie and put Anders Hedberg out there, too!

Looking forward to seeing some great Canadian cities, and any others... especially small towns that produce more per capita.

tombombadil 12-23-2012 07:20 PM

Trail, BC

Drake-Ferraro-Horcoff
Jackman-McCarthy
Cesar Maniago

Town of less than 8,000!!

jkrx 12-23-2012 07:22 PM

Västerås

Berglund - Patrick Juhlin - Backlund
Lidström - Leif Rohlin
Salo

Kiruna

"Garvis" - Lundström - Mikael Andersson
Börje Salming - Stig Salming
Pekka Lindmark

Stockholm
Kent Nilsson - Tumba - Sundin
Per Eklund - Charles Berglund - Landeskog
Huselius - Michael Nylander - Nisse Ekman
Håkan Södergren - - Johan Garpenlöv


Rolle Stoltz - Lasse Björn
Niklas Kronwall - Ragnarsson (sort of)
Johnny Oduya -

Pelle Lindbergh
Rolf Ridderwall
Tommy Söderström
Jhonas Enroth

tombombadil 12-23-2012 07:25 PM

had Helsinki and Montreal, but want to keep it to small towns.

tombombadil 12-23-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkrx (Post 56770841)
Västerås

Berglund - Patrick Juhlin - Backlund
Lidström - Leif Rohlin
Salo

solid for a city of 100,000.

tombombadil 12-23-2012 07:31 PM

Great Canucks forward line from the tiny town of Duncan

Greg Adams (not the good one, though) and the Courtnall Bros.

Le CH 12-23-2012 07:35 PM

Rouyn-Noranda:

Stephane Matteau-Pierre Turgeon-Rejean Houle
Sylvain Turgeon-Dave Keon-Pit Martin
Christian Bordeleau-Paulin Bordeleau

Dale Tallon-Eric Desjardins
Jacques Laperriere-

Jacques Cloutier
André Racicot

Not to bad for a small northern community...

Czech Your Math 12-23-2012 09:44 PM

Kladno:

Pivonka-Plekanec-Jagr
Frolik-Novy-Voracek
F.Kaberle-Horava
Pavelec

LeBlondeDemon10 12-23-2012 10:44 PM

Viking, Alberta - pop. (2011) 1, 041

5 Sutter brothers and the udder brother, who was supposedly the best of the bunch, stayed home to run the farm.
Glen Sather
Cory Clouston

tombombadil 12-23-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 (Post 56775139)
Viking, Alberta - pop. (2011) 1, 041

5 Sutter brothers and the udder brother, who was supposedly the best of the bunch, stayed home to run the farm.
Glen Sather
Cory Clouston

What's the name of the other brother?

I knew a guy who worked here (Westbank) at Home Depot, who claimed to be a Sutter brother.

tombombadil 12-23-2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tombombadil (Post 56775173)
What's the name of the other brother?

I knew a guy who worked here (Westbank) at Home Depot, who claimed to be a Sutter brother.

****. that's crazy. That is him. About 3 threads just came together in my head. I remember my friend worked with Gary, and he ws seriously bitter about being the Sutter that didn't make the NHL, even if that's not what is held as true. I remember the Home Depot staff winning the lottery, but i never connected that to the "Sutter that my buddy knew"... and then this thread, here. Crazy.

Hammer Time 12-24-2012 12:22 AM

Saskatchewan Census Division 11 (population: 270,000) - a region which includes the city of Saskatoon and a few other nearby towns.

Propp-Lach-Howe
Baun-Van Impe
Rayner

3 Hall of Famers, including a generational talent, and the other 3 players all played at least 10 seasons in the NHL. Not too shabby.

MXD 12-24-2012 12:32 AM

Believe it or not...

My hometown is the only town in Canada who had more F-1 drivers than Stanley Cup Champions.

kmad 12-24-2012 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tombombadil (Post 56770807)
Trail, BC

Drake-Ferraro-Horcoff
Jackman-McCarthy
Cesar Maniago

Town of less than 8,000!!

If you count Fruitvale (which is basically rural Trail), you can add Adam Deadmarsh

kmad 12-24-2012 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkrx (Post 56770841)
Västerås

Berglund - Patrick Juhlin - Backlund
Lidström - Leif Rohlin
Salo

Kiruna

"Garvis" - Lundström - Mikael Andersson
Börje Salming - Stig Salming
Pekka Lindmark

Stockholm
Kent Nilsson - Tumba - Sundin
Per Eklund - Charles Berglund - Landeskog
Huselius - Michael Nylander - Nisse Ekman
Håkan Södergren - - Johan Garpenlöv


Rolle Stoltz - Lasse Björn
Niklas Kronwall - Ragnarsson (sort of)
Johnny Oduya -

Pelle Lindbergh
Rolf Ridderwall
Tommy Söderström
Jhonas Enroth

Now do Ornskoldsvik!

jkrx 12-24-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagorim Jarg (Post 56778665)
Now do Ornskoldsvik!

OP already did that city.

Not alot more of the pros come from there as its the home of a hockey school. Guys like Tomas Jonsson, Samuel Påhlsson, Kallur and so on where born elsewhere. We could add Sundström to the list. I'll do Värmland as it has no major city of note except for Karlstad.

Team Värmland (players from Karlstad markedd with a *)

Coach: Conny Evensson

B-Å Gustafsson - Ulf Sterner - Arvedsson*
Pelle Prestberg - Thomas Steen - Peter Nordström

Thommie Bergman - Tommy Samuelsson

tombombadil 12-24-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meteor (Post 56776645)
Saskatchewan Census Division 11 (population: 270,000) - a region which includes the city of Saskatoon and a few other nearby towns.

Propp-Lach-Howe
Baun-Van Impe
Rayner

3 Hall of Famers, including a generational talent, and the other 3 players all played at least 10 seasons in the NHL. Not too shabby.

Nice work. I was looking for a Saskatchewan town last night, to little avail. I like what you came up with.

I should have titles this something like, "The Real Mystery, Alaska" I love that some small, nowhere towns, have come up with so much talent.

jigglysquishy 12-24-2012 02:16 PM

Regina, Saskatchewan (metro 210,000)

Eberle - Getzlaf - Hartnell (or Mike Sillinger or Doug Wickenheiser)
Murray - Terry Harper

Dubnyk

Always been a hockey town, but we've really exploded in the past few years.

tombombadil 12-24-2012 03:15 PM

I had thought Regina was much bigger than that. That is an impressive list of players... many more than what you listed, too.

tombombadil 12-24-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Czech Your Math (Post 56773849)
Kladno:

Pivonka-Plekanec-Jagr
Frolik-Novy-Voracek
F.Kaberle-Horava
Pavelec

and only 70,000 people. That's a lot of talent.

Hardyvan123 12-24-2012 04:13 PM

I grew up in burnaby which is a suburb next door to Vancouver and we rarely ever get outdoor ice, more ball hockey than ice hockey for kids.

Burnaby Joe sakic , as he is called around here
Cliff Ronning
RNH

Chris Josph and Karl Alzner on D

Jason LaBarbera in net.

Glenn Anderson was born in Vancouver but grew up in North Burnaby, Paul Kariya in North Van

Killion 12-24-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 (Post 56787491)
I grew up in burnaby which is a suburb next door to Vancouver and we rarely ever get outdoor ice, more ball hockey than ice hockey for kids.

Just over 50 players in total who were born in Vancouver who played in
the NHL, whereas Montreal's around 250 & change, Toronto close to 400.

Hardyvan123 12-24-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killion (Post 56789351)
Just over 50 players in total who were born in Vancouver who played in
the NHL, whereas Montreal's around 250 & change, Toronto close to 400.

BC really didn't produce any players for the NHL pre expansion though.

Not sure when the Burnaby and north shore winter clubs really took off but they drive alot of prospects these days.

Ed Wood 12-24-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 (Post 56775139)
Viking, Alberta - pop. (2011) 1, 041

5 Sutter brothers and the udder brother, who was supposedly the best of the bunch, stayed home to run the farm.
Glen Sather
Cory Clouston

Make that six Sutter brothers.....Brian, Daryl, Duane, Brent, and the twins, Ron and Rich. That's two centres, two Left wngs and two right wings. No dmen or goalies though and they call themselves a hockey town!

Killion 12-24-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 (Post 56789533)
BC really didn't produce any players for the NHL pre expansion though. Not sure when the Burnaby and north shore winter clubs really took off but they drive alot of prospects these days.

Ya, thats very true. Prior to the 67 Expansion just two guys, John Ferguson of course, and another guy by the name of Rich Healey who played a single game for Detroit in the early 60's.... Burnabys' Winter Club was founded in 56, North Shore in 58.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.