HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Marian Gaborik (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1311371)

silverfish 12-24-2012 10:32 AM

Marian Gaborik

I'm afraid if this season doesn't get played, Gaborik will be entering the last year of his contract (cap hit of $7.5 million) and the cap supposedly going down the Rangers might have to part ways.

Rangers really couldn't add too much payroll considering that Stepan, McDonagh, Del Zotto, and Hagelin are due new contracts. Not to mention Kreider the year after, Sather might have a tight budget to work with if the salary cap does indeed go down to ~$60 million.

So, offer up! Prospects and/or cheap middle aged players are probably the best bet for the Rangers to receive back for Gabby.

I mean, if Paul Gaustad can garner a first round pick as a rental, what's Gaborik worth? :naughty:

KingCanadain1976 12-24-2012 10:48 AM

Ok i ve seen this sorta thing alot in hf "if the cap goes down .... " if it does go down the salaries will roll back the same percentage as the cap going down so if u can aford so and so at x dollar u ll still be able to afford him a a cheaper y value.

Now in a different thread me and another ranger fan worked out a martinez king and williams for Marian Gaborik With the stipulation we get 20 games to see if hickey or muzzin can handle the nhl mins to replace martinez.

Seatoo 12-24-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 (Post 56781473)
Ok i ve seen this sorta thing alot in hf "if the cap goes down .... " if it does go down the salaries will roll back the same percentage as the cap going down so if u can aford so and so at x dollar u ll still be able to afford him a a cheaper y value.

Wrong.

Quote:

Now in a different thread me and another ranger fan worked out a martinez king and williams for Marian Gaborik With the stipulation we get 20 games to see if hickey or muzzin can handle the nhl mins to replace martinez.
Trade for a player, wait 20 games to see how it works and if it doesn't you cancel the trade? Sorry in the NHL we have a no-taksies-backsies rule. :(

Sharppi 12-24-2012 11:42 AM

Hmmmm, hmmm. Any intrest in Clutterbuck? I really don't know how mixed feelings Gaboriks return to St. Paul would do but I would be happy. Then again the Wild would have a real salary problem if they added even more salary. :)

KingCanadain1976 12-24-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seatoo (Post 56782331)
Wrong.

Trade for a player, wait 20 games to see how it works and if it doesn't you cancel the trade? Sorry in the NHL we have a no-taksies-backsies rule. :(

how so on the wrong ?

as for the trade you oviously misunderstand the condition it would only happen after 20 games to see if muzzin or hickey could handle the nhl mins :help::shakehead

McSuper 12-24-2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

This , I have got tired of telling people this . The NHLPA should have taken the last offer with the make whole , if this does not get done in Jan/2013 the PA will never get a make whole offer again . If they do take it all teams have time to get everything in order for the new cap . If there is a roll back it does not matter . Cap drops 12% the contacts a team is carrying drops 12% , making all things =

KingCanadain1976 12-24-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supert (Post 56782673)
This , I have got tired of telling people this . The NHLPA should have taken the last offer with the make whole , if this does not get done in Jan/2013 the PA will never get a make whole offer again . If they do take it all teams have time to get everything in order for the new cap . If there is a roll back it does not matter . Cap drops 12% the contacts a team is carrying drops 12% , making all things =

thats what i thought i said( enter confused face here)

jw2 12-24-2012 12:42 PM

Rangers will need him if they plan on making a run. If they are 10th in the East, they made trade him. 1st/Top Tier prospect, potential 3rd liner, + potential 1st line grinder for Hartford.

iamitter 12-24-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jw2 (Post 56783545)
Rangers will need him if they plan on making a run. If they are 10th in the East, they made trade him. 1st/Top Tier prospect, potential 3rd liner, + potential 1st line grinder for Hartford.

If we trade him, it'll be because of cap purposes and it'll be in the off-season most likely.

BonMorrison 12-24-2012 01:17 PM

I can most definitely see the Predators make a solid run at him if he became available.

GordieHoweHatTrick 12-24-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jw2 (Post 56783545)

Why? He is a shadow of his regular season self in the playoffs

Kershaw 12-24-2012 02:07 PM

Right now, the Rangers are the 16th highest payroll in terms of caphit in the NHL.

If the cap supposedly goes down, the Rangers aren't the only team that are screwed. Right now, they have 11m in capspace, so I don't see any cap causalities going into this season.

Cogburn 12-24-2012 03:41 PM

I don't see why the Rangers do this, unless Nash totally outshines Gaborik, and a replacement is found internally, and the Rangers take a nose dive from last season and are looking to rebuild. Cap issues have nothing to do with trading a player of Gaborik's calibre, even if the cap goes down, and even if NYR are the only team messed up by this.

That being said, if he wanted out, or Sather wanted him out, as a Canuck fan I'd love to see Gillis take out a flyer on him, but a scorer of his calibre doesn't come cheap. What are the needs/wants of Rangers fans?

Machinehead 12-24-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharppi (Post 56782541)
Hmmmm, hmmm. Any intrest in Clutterbuck? I really don't know how mixed feelings Gaboriks return to St. Paul would do but I would be happy. Then again the Wild would have a real salary problem if they added even more salary. :)

Clutterbuck is a nice piece but that's all he is here is a piece, and a small one at that, of what would be needed to fetch Gaborik.

I doubt you'd deal us Koivu for Brian Boyle...

Sharppi 12-24-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Machinehead (Post 56787093)
Clutterbuck is a nice piece but that's all he is here is a piece, and a small one at that, of what would be needed to fetch Gaborik.

I doubt you'd deal us Koivu for Brian Boyle...

Yeah of course, something needs to be added. Good to know that Clutterbuck intrerests Rangers. What are you other needs?

Machinehead 12-24-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharppi (Post 56787595)
Yeah of course, something needs to be added. Good to know that Clutterbuck intrerests Rangers. What are you other needs?

We'd be losing our best scorer, so scoring has to be coming back.

Basically with this trade we'd be exchanging more productive for younger and less expensive. Gaborik is a 40/70 guy, so we'll be looking for someone who's not quite as good as that, but gives you top 6 production, that's younger and less expensive than Gaborik.

Now of course if you go too much younger and less expensive you get into territory where this "player x" we'll call him, even though he produces less, is more valuable based on contract and age, so there's a tightrope to walk with this as with any youth for production based trade.

seafoam 12-24-2012 06:16 PM

Gaborik to the Isles (e5)

Dampland 12-24-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharppi (Post 56782541)

God no! We don't want Groinerick back in Minnesota. Trade him to the KHL and make him stay there.

bernmeister 12-24-2012 09:38 PM

There are no guarantees. That said...

1. Logic suggests when they get this done the new deal will cover extended years; they won't want to/can't do this too many years close together. In line with that if the cap goes down (likely) it will be controlled steps, so Rangers should have some latitude like every one else.

2. To the extent there is a problem, Rangers will rework smaller pieces.

3. To the extent there is still a problem, rather than lose a sniper NYR will work either something around Girardi + Stepan or, if they get a taker, Richards.

The Amity Affliction 12-24-2012 09:39 PM

Gonna be tough with one year left on his deal and shouler problems to find a market for him.

BK201 12-24-2012 10:47 PM

i see Ottawa Offering some sort of future picks and a prospect.

Seems to get it done for teams like NYR who are built to win now and like to have the cupboards stocked at the same time.

Oilwings 12-25-2012 01:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by supert (Post 56782673)

That's probably what will happen if the salary cap drops but personally don't like/want it this way. I want the salary cap to drop but the players salary to stay the same. I want to see some team's owner/GM punished. Forcing teams to make trades they don't want to. Teams like my Oilers will benefit.

3rdlineglory 12-25-2012 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilwings (Post 56793145)
That's probably what will happen if the salary cap drops but personally don't like/want it this way. I want the salary cap to drop but the players salary to stay the same. I want to see some team's owner/GM punished. Forcing teams to make trades they don't want to. Teams like my Oilers will benefit.

You won't be preaching this once the Oilers' youngsters are due for raises.

Oilwings 12-25-2012 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rdlineglory (Post 56793325)
You won't be preaching this once the Oilers' youngsters are due for raises.

You wouldn't say this if you ever took your time to read up on the Oilers payroll. You do know that the Oilers still have 7.3M left in this yr's cap space and 21.75M+ next season. Horcoff's contract coming off in 2 yrs time. With 21.75M+ they can afford to take on bad contracts while asking for very good prospects in trades. The Oilers will be fine.

3rdlineglory 12-25-2012 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilwings (Post 56793363)
You wouldn't say this if you ever took your time to read up on the Oilers payroll. You do know that the Oilers still have 7.3M left in this yr's cap space and 21.75M+ next season. Horcoff's contract coming off in 2 yrs time. With 21.75M+ they can afford to take on bad contracts while asking for very good prospects in trades. The Oilers will be fine.

I actually checked it back a few months ago. Horcoff's contract ends in 2016. Hemsky, RNH, both Schultzes, Petry, and Dubnyk all need new contracts the year before Horcoff goes into free agency. I guess you should at least be supportive of an amnesty buyout then. The cap space you mention in this post is the cap space the Oilers would have if the cap is at 70M. If you say you're for a lower cap then at least list the cap space they would have with the speculated 60M cap. All of this could be moot though, since the cap will rise anyways after being dropped once a new CBA gets signed.