HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   International Tournaments (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   WJC: Boone Jenner Suspended 3 Games For Hit on Pettersson (MOD WARNING #422) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1311447)

Royal Canuck 12-24-2012 02:45 PM

Boone Jenner Suspended 3 Games For Hit on Pettersson (MOD WARNING #422)
 
CAN F Boone Jenner has been suspended for 3 games for his charge on Swedish defenseman Jasper Petterson in an exhibition game on December 22nd, Petterson seperated his shoulder and broke his wrist on the hit, knocking him out of the tournament. This suspension will keep Jenner out of the line-up until New Years Eve against the Russians, the same team that Jenner got suspended against in last year's WJC for spearing Evgeni Kuznetsov.

I think this suspension is a bit too much from the IIHF, yes it was late and unneccessary, but the hit itself was clean, Petterson was admiring his pass and didn't keep his head up, I would be okay with 1 or 2 games, but 3 seems a bit overboard.

What do you guys think?

Rob 12-24-2012 02:47 PM

Team Canada says he will stay on the roster.

Novak Djokovic 12-24-2012 02:47 PM

Banning him for 50% (or 43%) of the tournament does seem quite a lot.

EDIT: It's essentially because of the injury that Petersson suffered. If he gets up, Jenner only gets a 2 minute interference penalty. An injury is a huge deal to IIHF... so everyone's got to keep that in mind. Players will also try to embellish (or act like they are hurt) in order to get the refs to change a 2 minute penalty to 5 minute major. IIHF refs are pretty gullible in that regard.

Francesa 12-24-2012 02:48 PM

http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/st...12868659691520
Quote:

Jenner will miss games vs GER, SVK and USA. Eligible to return for round robin game vs RUS + playoff round games. Still a significant loss.

Leo Trollmarov 12-24-2012 02:49 PM

It's a complete joke, but expected from the farce that is the IIHF.

um 12-24-2012 02:51 PM

thats fair, considering his past record

Chimp 12-24-2012 02:52 PM

A reckless late hit in an exhibition game? Where in history some Canadian orcs have tried to "set an example" before in practice games? Pettersson's tournament is over and more than that. People calling 3 games a joke, is the joke. The suspension was more than justified.

"... An injury is a huge deal to IIHF..."
It's the same in NHL, don't try to play martyrs.

yapperface 12-24-2012 02:55 PM

This is laughable. Cherry's right, nobody keeps their head up anymore. The onus is on Pettersson here. 3 games is ridiculous but at least he's back versus Russia.

Leo Trollmarov 12-24-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimp (Post 56786215)
A reckless late hit in an exhibition game? Where in history some Canadian orcs have tried to "set an example" before in practice games? Pettersson's tournament is over and more than that. People calling 3 games a joke, is the joke. The suspension was more than justified.

the .4 second that the hit was late didn't change the injury, just everyone's perception.

People are acting like Jenner ran across the ice and blindsided a guy who was 100 feet from the play.

topched 12-24-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by um (Post 56786187)
thats fair, considering his past record

Past record?

Are you referring to the phantom spear last year vs. Russia that wouldn't have been called in any North American hockey league?

One game sure, can't be having late hits... but that's all it was. Didn't leave his feet, didn't get his shoulder or elbow up, head wasn't targeted.

The injury to Petterson may have influenced the length, which is ridiculous. I'm of the firm belief you look at the play and not the result. A charge, hit to the head, or hit from behind is an illegal act regardless of what happens to the player on the other end. The "illegal-ness" of the act (speed with which its done, lateness, intention etc.) should all be looked at. But don't give a guy more games because the guy receiving it was injured.

Vinegar Strokes 12-24-2012 02:57 PM

Absolutely fair. I'm a fan of the game Jenner plays, but that hit was completely and utterly unnecessary and reckless. I like players, such as Jenner, who play with an edge, but when they cross the line, they deserved to be punished accordingly.

SephF 12-24-2012 02:58 PM

Probably a game too much but I'm not too surprising considering this isn't the first time he's been suspended from this tournament.

Novak Djokovic 12-24-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimp (Post 56786215)
A reckless late hit in an exhibition game?

Why does that matter at all?


Where in history some Canadian orcs have tried to "set an example" before in practice games?

Why is history of other Canadians relevant? Do you have any proof?

Pettersson's tournament is over and more than that.

That's really sad for him, but that shouldn't be the primary reason for a suspension... which I feel like it is for the IIHF.

People calling 3 games a joke, is the joke. The suspension was more than justified.

Fair enough, but some of the things you said before this sentence does not help your case at all.

He just wasn't ready for a hit; that's definitely something he needs to consider in the future.

Vinegar Strokes 12-24-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serbian Power (Post 56786329)
He just wasn't ready for a hit; that's definitely something he needs to consider in the future.

Kid definitely needs to be more aware that there will be players who say damn the rules and throw cheap shots. That doesn't make the hit any more legal, that hit should have never occurred.

SDig14 12-24-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimp (Post 56786215)
A reckless late hit in an exhibition game? Where in history some Canadian orcs have tried to "set an example" before in practice games? Pettersson's tournament is over and more than that. People calling 3 games a joke, is the joke. The suspension was more than justified.

"... An injury is a huge deal to IIHF..."
It's the same in NHL, don't try to play martyrs.

Except for the fact there is no way that is a 3 game suspension in the NHL.

They might have given him 5 minutes because an injury caused by a penalty, but the NHL focusus on the hit. Shoulder to shoulder, no elbow, and didn't leave his feet.

There's no doubt the hit was late, unnecessary, and a bit stupid, but let's not pretend the NHL and IIHF handle these matters in the same manner.

Atomos2 12-24-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimp (Post 56786215)
A reckless late hit in an exhibition game? Where in history some Canadian orcs have tried to "set an example" before in practice games? Pettersson's tournament is over and more than that. People calling 3 games a joke, is the joke. The suspension was more than justified.

"... An injury is a huge deal to IIHF..."
It's the same in NHL, don't try to play martyrs.

:huh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8XeEYxNiv0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOQXQQ38jFE

I guess concussions aren't as major as shoulder dislocation.

Dr Quincy 12-24-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal Canuck (Post 56786091)
CAN F Boone Jenner has been suspended for 3 games for his charge on Swedish defenseman Jasper Petterson in an exhibition game on December 22nd, Petterson seperated his shoulder and broke his wrist on the hit, knocking him out of the tournament. This suspension will keep Jenner out of the line-up until New Years Eve against the Russians, the same team that Jenner got suspended against in last year's WJC for spearing Evgeni Kuznetsov.

I think this suspension is a bit too much from the IIHF, yes it was late and unneccessary, but the hit itself was clean, Petterson was admiring his pass and didn't keep his head up, I would be okay with 1 or 2 games, but 3 seems a bit overboard.

What do you guys think?

I think a late hit is by definition is not clean.

I hate the term "admiring his pass".

If a player is vulnerable and you decide to hit him LATE anyway, you are liable to be suspended.

3 games seems right to me.

Leaf Rocket 12-24-2012 03:06 PM

Definitely find it fair.

Le CH 12-24-2012 03:07 PM

Will you guys stop your whining and just "suck it up"... you sound like a bunch of crying babies!

Dr Quincy 12-24-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yapperface (Post 56786267)
This is laughable. Cherry's right, nobody keeps their head up anymore. The onus is on Pettersson here. 3 games is ridiculous but at least he's back versus Russia.

The onus is on the player deciding whether or not to hit a guy when he no longer has the puck.

Leo Trollmarov 12-24-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinegar Strokes (Post 56786375)
Kid definitely needs to be more aware that there will be players who say damn the rules and throw cheap shots. That doesn't make the hit any more legal, that hit should have never occurred.

It is clear you know nothing about Jenner if you think he says damn the rules and throws cheap shots. He is big and strong and plays the body, does not make him a cheap shot artist. But I guess if you look at this play and a tickle with a stick that was completely justified and beyond minor, you could think that.

Atomos2 12-24-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le CH (Post 56786493)
Will you guys stop your whining and just "suck it up"... you sound like a bunch of crying babies!

Is there a reason why you are posting in this discussion?

topched 12-24-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le CH (Post 56786493)
Will you guys stop your whining and just "suck it up"... you sound like a bunch of crying babies!

I'm not sure anybody is "whining".

This doesn't make any Canadian fan worried about their teams chances.

This is a good natured debate on whether the ruling is fair or not.

I can almost guarantee we'll see another hit like this during the tournament. It will be interesting to see how the IIHF handles it.

Greeningfan14 12-24-2012 03:17 PM

Too steep, at least he'll be back for the 31st

PatrickEaves 12-24-2012 03:17 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the 2nd time he's ended a player's tournament in a pre-tournament game?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.