HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Football (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   NCAA: Should NCAA get rid of these garbage bowl games when (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1312103)

Dave is a killer 12-26-2012 07:54 PM

Should NCAA get rid of these garbage bowl games when

The NCAAF eventually goes to 16 team playoff system?

Little Caesars Bowl ? ... Belk Bowl ? ... Armed Forces Bowl (2 6-6 teams) ... there are 12 teams that are 6-6 ... 14 teams that went 7-5 (13 bowl games that include absolute garbage teams)

No Fun Shogun 12-26-2012 08:09 PM

I think they should get rid of well more than just those regardless of if there's a playoff or not, but as long as there's money to be made it won't happen. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if they started letting in below .500 games to a few of the scrub bowls rather than letting them die for at least a few years.

TheMoreYouKnow 12-26-2012 08:14 PM

It's a pretty big stretch to assume a 16 team playoff within the next 20 years.

Dave is a killer 12-26-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow (Post 56822663)
It's a pretty big stretch to assume a 16 team playoff within the next 20 years.

I don't think it is, honestly ... The Divisions FKA D II, D III & D I-AA

4 years since the beginning ... went from 4 teams to 16 teams

Central PA Hawk Fan 12-26-2012 08:57 PM

First off, there will never be a 16 team playoff in D1 FBS. Secondly, I don't get the complaint over these games being played. If you don't like them, don't watch...but most of these have been pretty good games, infact I bet more of these "garbage" bowl games will be more competitive than the major bowls. I don't get it, college football fans want less games? Always a weird complaint to me, they don't detract from the higher profile games and usually reward some mid major schools for a job well done season that otherwise wouldn't be able to play. I remember CFB in the 80s.

G F O P 12-26-2012 09:03 PM

NCAA isn't going to 16 team playoff. And the garbage bowls should be eliminated. Even if they don't get eliminated and mediocrity is rewarded with a trip to an irrelevant exhibition game, you can always ignore the exhibition game like I've been doing.

Unholy Diver 12-26-2012 09:56 PM

people gripe about them yet they keep watching them, the New Mexico Bowl outdrew the basketball game between then #1 Indiana vs Butler 1.9 vs 1.5 in the ratings

CFD 12-26-2012 10:35 PM

If you don't like them, don't watch. That simple.

And the NCAA just took this long to get a 4 team playoff, and all of a sudden they're going to 16. First off, it won't happen. Second, why does every playoff need to be watered down? I don't really care to see 3 loss teams playing for the national championship.

worstfaceoffmanever 12-26-2012 10:48 PM

They make money and provide programming for ESPN, so they won't be going away any time soon.

Even if the NCAA expands its playoff beyond four teams (which it inevitably will once it realizes that there is an even greater amount of money to be made from a tournament), the bowls can stay in place as an NIT-type system accommodating schools from bigger conferences who didn't get into the tournament, and mid-majors trying to build a national reputation.

GoneFullHextall 12-26-2012 10:58 PM

I think we will have a 8 team playoff within a 15 years or so. But I think it will top off at that.
I dont watch many bowl games before New Years weekend personally. Cant get into seeing 2 average 6-5/7-4 teams play each other.
The amount of these lower tier bowl games are only going to increase. what do we have now 130 teams playing in bowl games? I lost count.
Do we need to have 5 win teams in bowl games? if someone thinks they can make a buck it will happen.

Big Poppa Puck 12-27-2012 01:20 AM

I'm in the minority but I like the Bowls. There's about 6 too many though.

Live in the Now 12-27-2012 01:48 AM

The garbage bowls won't be eliminated because Joe Blow on their vacation, and the high school kid with nothing to do, surrounded by overbearing family wants to watch these games. I don't and never will but there is an audience, small demand for them, and that's all which is needed to put them on.

Carolinas Identity* 12-27-2012 02:03 AM

A lot of negative nellies here. Not every Bowl can be 1v2 or even top 25 vs top 25. And for a lot of smaller schools, the "Potatoe Chip Bowl", for lack of a better word, is their holy grail and maybe their only chance to be on national tv.

And beyond that, it exposes you to talent you wouldn't nessecarily see every day because of it.

If you don't wanna watch East Carolina play Northern Illinois, then don't, there're enough other things on, but for 98% of these kids, it's their one chance to be on National TV, with the whole country watching and you wanna take it away from them just cause their stadium doesn't seat 100k+ or because they don't play in one of the top 4 conferences? Besides, honestly, the games are just as entertaining. I defy anyone who watched Toledo play Utah State from start to finish tell me they weren't entertained.

/rant

PanthersPens62 12-27-2012 03:02 AM

Agree with all those so far who stated we should not get rid of them.

BlameUtley 12-27-2012 05:15 AM

They should either have a 6 or 12 team playoff. i saw this because people will ***** how it makes the regular season meaningless of there is a playoff. Well with 6 or 12 teams it will allow for a few teams to get a bye, making it more meaningful on where you finish.

Pajicz 12-27-2012 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iRep TheWingedWheel (Post 56826565)
I'm in the minority but I like the Bowls. There's about 6 too many though.

Agreed, maybe they could cut few of them. But not more than 5-6.

G F O P 12-27-2012 07:05 AM

I feel sorry for anyone who watches all the bowls. Thankful it's not my job

Will grudgingly say that some of the bowls so far have come down to the wire

In fact I think most of them have so far

Just can't get me interested in a small school playing in a bowl with a mediocre record

Blades of Glory 12-27-2012 08:57 AM

It is absolutely ridiculous that 70 teams get to play in a Bowl. But if you haven't noticed, every single one of those Bowl games is sponsored. There is no chance that the NCAA gets rid of anything that involves money. Unless of course, it is a player taking $100 for food. They definitely get rid of them.

The Last Baron* 12-27-2012 10:36 AM

Only on here do people complain about MORE games to watch.

I think the small bowls are fun and give football fans the opportunity to see interesting matchups.

King Woodballs 12-27-2012 10:40 AM

Make it 1 game
For the national championship

The rest is just greedy fluff

IU Hawks fan 12-27-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarkson Falls Down (Post 56824821)

And the NCAA just took this long to get a 4 team playoff

Quote:

Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever (Post 56824969)
Even if the NCAA expands its playoff beyond four teams

I just need to get some facts straight.

The NCAA does, NOT, I repeat, NOT have anything to do with the new playoff. It's not the NCAA DI Championship like it is in basketball or any other sport. They aren't running this thing, it's still just a collaboration between the conferences and the 'BCS' (called for now) Committee.

As for the lesser bowl games: They make lots of people money. ESPN needs programming this time of year, and it's a reward for the students. I haven't been watching, but am not gonna fight over their existence.

snowden 12-27-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Last Baron (Post 56832121)
Only on here do people complain about MORE games to watch.

I think the small bowls are fun and give football fans the opportunity to see interesting matchups.

Yeah, I don't understand how MORE football games in December/January is a bad thing. There's always fun matchups to watch and they usually turn out to be good games. It's great to put on in the background of a holiday party or if you're at the bar it's better than watching some garbage NBA game. Some people just like to complain about dumb things.

Kronwalled55 12-27-2012 12:47 PM

Many of the "garbage" bowls tend to be the best ones... :help:

National championship tends to put me to sleep most years. College teams playing NFL style. I know what's at stake, but it's just not the same.

Stammer Time* 12-27-2012 12:51 PM

Of course not. They are always sponsored so they make money, even "bad" bowls get decent TV ratings, the players get extra practice time, bowl gifts and to play in a nationally televised game and the fans get something to be excited about. If people don't like them then nobody is forcing them to watch but to complain about them is just looking for something to cry about.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe 12-27-2012 01:41 PM

The "garbage" bowls hurt no one. As an alum of a D1 school whose only realistic post season hope in a given year is playing in something like say the Advocare Independence Bowl (go Bobcats!), I see no harm in having a plethora of lesser bowls. It gives a post season to a lot of teams (and fans) who in the not too distant past got nothing regardless of their records.

The only tweak I would like to see made is to raise the bar for wins to 7 from 6, which would eliminate 2-3 games. I see no (football) reason why a .500 team should get an extra game, but if you have a winning record, what's the harm in sending them to a bowl?