HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   International Tournaments (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Maxim Shalunov Suspended 1 Game (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1312257)

SH15 12-27-2012 09:26 AM

Maxim Shalunov Suspended 1 Game

Shalunov suspended 1 game for Crosscheck to the face

I am the Liquor 12-27-2012 09:30 AM

Dirty Russians.:sarcasm:

Xokkeu 12-27-2012 09:34 AM

He earned that one.

Drij 12-27-2012 09:42 AM

Canada better watch out.

luongo321 12-27-2012 09:47 AM

He was just protecting himself. Gotta practice for when he plays those dirty Canadians.

Richter915 12-27-2012 09:47 AM

Shalunov was frustrated the entire game, now he pays and will miss an entire game.

SH15 12-27-2012 09:48 AM

To me, this is dirtier than Jenner's hit. I am fine with the resulting suspensions for each, the Swedish kid was hurt pretty badly and Jenner was suspended at last years WJC. But if we're talking about the dirty of the dirty, this play as well as Yarullin's headshot and Khokhlachev's low bridge hit were ALL dirtier than Jenner's hit IMO.

But...Canadians are just so evil :help:

agent082 12-27-2012 09:50 AM

Two for that would have been better.

Xokkeu 12-27-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luongo321 (Post 56830819)
He was just protecting himself. Gotta practice for when he plays those dirty Canadians.

Does the IIHF release reasoning on their suspensions?

Yakushev72 12-27-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xokkeu (Post 56830529)
He earned that one.

Did he earn it? If I'm not mistaken, you mentioned yesterday (maybe sarcastically) that the Slovak player was guilty of interference (I agree, the puck was long gone when he tried to nail Shalunov) and that Shalunov didn't get his stick up high. He was merely extending it to ward off the check, which happens 100 times a game, from below his chest outward. Look at the picture above and you can clearly see that his stick is not high. It appears that the Slovak player is falling, which Shalunov could not anticipate. Under the circumstances, in an instant during the heat of the action, I can understand making the call, but after reviewing it, I don't see justification for a suspension. Blood was drawn, but, unlike the Jenner hit, there is not sufficient basis to conclude that it was deliberate and planned in advance.

Q Continuum 12-27-2012 09:55 AM

Wow. Jenner gets three, but deliberately cranking a guy in the face with your stick only gets one?

This **** is bunk.

Xokkeu 12-27-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yakushev72 (Post 56830971)
Did he earn it? If I'm not mistaken, you mentioned yesterday (maybe sarcastically) that the Slovak player was guilty of interference (I agree, the puck was long gone when he tried to nail Shalunov) and that Shalunov didn't get his stick up high. He was merely extending it to ward off the check, which happens 100 times a game, from below his chest outward. Look at the picture above and you can clearly see that his stick is not high. It appears that the Slovak player is falling, which Shalunov could not anticipate. Under the circumstances, in an instant during the heat of the action, I can understand making the call, but after reviewing it, I don't see justification for a suspension. Blood was drawn, but, unlike the Jenner hit, there is not sufficient basis to conclude that it was deliberate and planned in advance.

I think he wasn't suspended for the entire tournament specifically because the Slovak player went to hit him and he probably reacted to that trying to defend himself. You still can't cross check somebody in the face however. If the Slovak player had been skating along following the other players and Shalunov just chopped him out of nowhere he'd be in much bigger trouble. That's why I'd like to know if the IIHF releases it's reasoning. I think that nature of Slovak player going for a hit on Shalunov when he didn't have the puck likely mitigated the penalty.

Yakushev72 12-27-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SH15 (Post 56830845)
To me, this is dirtier than Jenner's hit. I am fine with the resulting suspensions for each, the Swedish kid was hurt pretty badly and Jenner was suspended at last years WJC. But if we're talking about the dirty of the dirty, this play as well as Yarullin's headshot and Khokhlachev's low bridge hit were ALL dirtier than Jenner's hit IMO.

But...Canadians are just so evil :help:

That's ridiculous! Jenner took about six steps while the Swedish player's head was clearly turned, and the puck was on the other side of the ice. Jenner's hit was a deliberate intent to injure, while Shalunov's was an instant reaction to protect himself from an illegal hit.

SH15 12-27-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewOilRising (Post 56831009)
Wow. Jenner gets three, but deliberately cranking a guy in the face with your stick only gets one?

This **** is bunk.

I agree this is dirtier than Jenner's hit, but the Jenner suspension is tied to the injury that resulted and the fact that he is a repeat offender.

If this crosscheck broke the Slovak's jaw and Shalunov had been suspended last year too, he would've got more than 1 game for sure.

skip2mybordeleau 12-27-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yakushev72 (Post 56831075)
That's ridiculous! Jenner took about six steps while the Swedish player's head was clearly turned, and the puck was on the other side of the ice. Jenner's hit was a deliberate intent to injure, while Shalunov's was an instant reaction to protect himself from an illegal hit.

he took zero "steps", also 6 strides in about a second and a half is a quite impressive feat.

SH15 12-27-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

The only thing wrong Jenner's hit was that it was about half a second late. Which is not a lot of time in a fast game like hockey. I don't want to come off like I'm defending Jenner, no way. Late hit, kid was hurt, repeat offender, boom 3 games for sure.

But for me, crosschecking someone in the face is far dirtier than throwing a clean hit that was just a bit too late.

Let's be honest here, if the Swede pops up and is fine, no suspension for Jenner. The Slovak was/is fine and Shalunov still gets suspended. That right there should tell you which of the two plays is dirtier. Jenner's suspension is tied directly to the resulting injury and his past suspension history.

Q Continuum 12-27-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SH15 (Post 56831099)
I agree this is dirtier than Jenner's hit, but the Jenner suspension is tied to the injury that resulted and the fact that he is a repeat offender.

If this crosscheck broke the Slovak's jaw and Shalunov had been suspended last year too, he would've got more than 1 game for sure.

I get that, and it's crap. The outcome should have no bearing on discipline.

Leo Trollmarov 12-27-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Jenner did not take 1 stride. He was gliding from nearly the blueline.

A bodycheck is something allowed in hockey, hitting someone in the face with your stick is not.

skip2mybordeleau 12-27-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewOilRising (Post 56831299)
I get that, and it's crap. The outcome should have no bearing on discipline.

the question is does it, i have no knowledge of iihf rulings, but the nhl now takes the outcome of a dirty play into consideration when a dirty play is made.

Xokkeu 12-27-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Connolly2Duchene (Post 56831401)
the question is does it, i have no knowledge of iihf rulings, but the nhl now takes the outcome of a dirty play into consideration when a dirty play is made.

I'm fairly certain that injury is a factor considered in their disciplinary rulings.

Pepper 12-27-2012 10:15 AM

Looks like a reactionary crosscheck, worth 1-2 games.

NicoSB 12-27-2012 10:15 AM

I can't understand how one can defend him. Yes, the Slovak was late but he saw him coming. It was a stupid action and has to be punished. Out and over.

skip2mybordeleau 12-27-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xokkeu (Post 56831535)
I'm fairly certain that injury is a factor considered in their disciplinary rulings.

which would make sense on one ruling getting a bigger suspension than the other, had their been no injury on the jenner hit i would be shocked if it was more than 1 game to be honest.

SH15 12-27-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Connolly2Duchene (Post 56831401)

Whether it's written down or not, I would think resulting injury most definitely affects suspension decisions.

If the Swedish kid pops up and is fine, zero games for Jenner
He's hurt pretty badly, so 3 games for Jenner
Heaven forbid anything worse injury wise, I'm sure Jenner would be gone for the tournament

Likewise with Shalunov, if the Solvak had a broken jaw or was knocked out cold and fell and smashed his face on the ice, Shalunov would surely get more than 1 game.

MOGiLNY 12-27-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NicoSB (Post 56831543)
I can't understand how one can defend him. Yes, the Slovak was late but he saw him coming. It was a stupid action and has to be punished. Out and over.

nobody is defending him as far as I can see..