HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   International Tournaments (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   GDT: Group B • Dec. 28 • Canada 6, Slovakia 3 • Part III (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1312679)

Systemfel 12-28-2012 10:22 AM

Group B • Dec. 28 • Canada 6, Slovakia 3 • Part III

Continue.

Dado 12-28-2012 10:25 AM

The first toss, from the hit on the end boards with the Canuck flapping its elbow up into the neck/head - yeah, I could see a suspension there.

But that impressive blowout along the side boards - try as I might I can't even find a penalty in there, much less a suspension.

StringerBell 12-28-2012 10:28 AM

The disparity in quality of goaltending between Subban and Makarov/Gibson is staggering. He needs to play at their level the next two games or I don't like our chances. Still confident he can do it, he just needs to show it.

One Man Rock Band 12-28-2012 10:38 AM

If Canada or Russia had Nagy, this tournament wouldn't even need to be played.

Holy crap is he good.

Buckets and Gloves 12-28-2012 10:43 AM

glad to see Strome shut up some of his detractors, he played fantastic.

Bure 12-28-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB (Post 56866747)

Holy crap is he good.

We have better , vasilievsky and Makarov ;).

StringerBell 12-28-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Holy crap is he good.

He's good, but I don't know if he's any better than Makarov. Still can't get past that Gold medal game last year.

luongo321 12-28-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StringerBell (Post 56866349)
The disparity in quality of goaltending between Subban and Makarov/Gibson is staggering. He needs to play at their level the next two games or I don't like our chances. Still confident he can do it, he just needs to show it.

We at least need to put in Blingington. This is all on Spott. I wish we had a different coach. :cry:

Chara-3 12-28-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Holy crap is he good.

He didn't make any big save today, did he? I doubt he'll be even drafted. Second goalie - Romancik is more talented. I'm pretty sure we'll start him on Sunday against Germany.

Hounsy 12-28-2012 10:54 AM

Canada need to reduce the number and outright clean look scoring chances they have been giving up as not all the teams they see are going to let them outscore their mistakes. Looks like pick up hockey sometimes with the time and space the guys scoring have had. I dunno maybe it is the big ice I'm not use to watching games on.

Propane Nightmares 12-28-2012 11:14 AM

So... who here actually knows there's a difference between the IIHF and NHL interpretations of a hit to the head?

:)

Mehar 12-28-2012 11:20 AM

Others might disagree, but i am inclined to sit Subban tomorrow in favour of Binnington, just to see how he performs. Subban was giving up too many rebounds for my liking in today's game. How do others feel about letting Binnington play tomorrow? Not every goal was his fault today, but i thought he should stopped a couple of those German goals.

Qrispy 12-28-2012 11:23 AM

Subban has been average at best really. Not sure I want to see him in net against better teams like USA and Russia.

topshelfie 12-28-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats (Post 56868023)
So... who here actually knows there's a difference between the IIHF and NHL interpretations of a hit to the head?

:)

Anyone who watched the game on TSN and heard them say the exact same thing. So I'd imagine just about everyone.

sucanushie 12-28-2012 11:30 AM

MacKinnon dangle for anyone who wanted to see it, or see it again :)

Would have loved to see him finish this.

Ujjy 12-28-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sucanushie (Post 56868459)

MacKinnon needs to get more playing time. It's ridiculous.

Ari91 12-28-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mehar (Post 56868165)
Others might disagree, but i am inclined to sit Subban tomorrow in favour of Binnington, just to see how he performs. Subban was giving up too many rebounds for my liking in today's game. How do others feel about letting Binnington play tomorrow? Not every goal was his fault today, but i thought he should stopped a couple of those German goals.

I certainly agree with you. Said much the same in the previous thread. Subban hasn't looked as confident as Binnington did in his game. If his confidence is lacking against the Slovaks and Germans, what's going to happen against the US and Russia? I really hope Spott gives Binnington the next game.

Rumcajs 12-28-2012 11:57 AM

Could someone repost the re stream link. Thanks.

Mr. Canucklehead 12-28-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luongo321 (Post 56867057)
We at least need to put in Blingington. This is all on Spott. I wish we had a different coach. :cry:

In fairness to Subban, in tournament play he has yet to do anything to actually lose his job. He has been decent in both his starts; his biggest test comes against the US.

I said on the Canuck board, one positive note to take from losing Lipon and Camara was the fact that Spott was (finally) forced to give MacKinnon some minutes. He and Drouin need to be given more ice-time together - they cycle the puck extremely well together and they have talent coming out of their ears.

Huberdeau needs to stop trying to stickhandle through the entire team. He has two great linemates - he needs to use them.

Scheifle was definitely deserving of the Player of the Game for Canada. Nice to see him step up and assert himself - could have sulked after taking so many lumps, but seemed to do just the opposite and motivated himself.

With respect to Murphy, it's not just Leaf fans - from my perspective, he is the weakest link on the blueline at this point. To his credit, he bounced back with some strong shifts as the game went on, but by and large he's been a huge liability out there.

Spott needs to reign his team's over-eager forecheck in. I think Camara was the victim of the result rather than the play, but Lipon's hit was just stupid. No need to try and make a statement with a lame, late, high hit in a mean-nothing game.

Overall, nice to see this group face some adversity and persevere through it. Lots of growing pains left to go for this team before it's all said and done, though.

Snippit 12-28-2012 12:02 PM

Fact is guys, we haven't looked great in either ends of the ice. We can produce off the rush, but not enough sustained pressure.

The Slovaks and Germans got tons of quality chances to score. Our defense was running around. Subban hasn't looked sharp either.

I'm worried. At the same time, I have a feeling the boys will pick it up against the Americans.

Please take Murphy off the PP. Please give Binner just 1 chance in net.

There's a possibility the U.S could get back in the relegation round. Although they have a very strong team and I was very impressed with them, if Canada knocks em down... they're in a dog fight with the Slovaks for the last spot, in the last game. Assuming Slovakia beats the Germans, they'll be a point ahead of the U.S going in to the last game.

If the U.S were to win that game in over time, they would be tied on points. Does anybody know what the tie breaker is for teams tied on points?

Mr. Canucklehead 12-28-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snippit (Post 56869395)
If the U.S were to win that game in over time, they would be tied on points. Does anybody know what the tie breaker is for teams tied on points?

Is it not Goals For? I thought that was the reason why no team eases off the gas pedal in these games.

Buckets and Gloves 12-28-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

D-D-D-D-D-D--D-DIRTY move.

GuillaumeLetsundress 12-28-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

thank you very much i was looking everywhere for this!

Ari91 12-28-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snippit (Post 56869395)
Fact is guys, we haven't looked great in either ends of the ice. We can produce off the rush, but not enough sustained pressure.

The Slovaks and Germans got tons of quality chances to score. Our defense was running around. Subban hasn't looked sharp either.

I'm worried. At the same time, I have a feeling the boys will pick it up against the Americans.

Please take Murphy off the PP. Please give Binner just 1 chance in net.

There's a possibility the U.S could get back in the relegation round. Although they have a very strong team and I was very impressed with them, if Canada knocks em down... they're in a dog fight with the Slovaks for the last spot, in the last game. Assuming Slovakia beats the Germans, they'll be a point ahead of the U.S going in to the last game.

If two teams are tied in points, I believe the tie breaker is looking at the game where the tied teams went head to head and the winner would be given the pass.

Mr. Canucklehead 12-28-2012 12:18 PM

Per TSN, no supplementary review coming from the IIHF for Camara.

Quote:

The IIHF indicated after the game that there will be no supplementary discipline review for Camara.
http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/story/?id=412360

As it should be, in my opinion.